• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Sloppy turbo Yz450f

DanielMerrick

Lifetime Membership
Nov 20, 2014
Northern Ontario Canada
Some information for anyone out there who is looking to boost a yz450f on the cheap.

2014 Yamaha Yz450f

HotCams Stage 1 intake and exhaust (bottom end less valve overlap)
Port and polished cylinder heads with a fresh valve job
Milled head to increase compression ration
Gytr High compression piston oil squirter
Athena Race gasket set

Parts List:

PCV
At-200
Pod-300
Map sensor 5S6727 (2002 Civic 1.7) good for 8.7 Psi (plugs direct into harness)
Garret GT1446V (from a Chevrolet Cruze 1.4L) built in BOV and oil restrictor
2" universal intercooler pipe kit
2"x1.5" silicone coupling
36" 3/8" dia 1/8npt x -4(an) oil feed line
30" 1/2" high heat hose
38mm v-band external waste gate
2x 3/8npt x 1/2" barb fittings
2x 5/8" mechanical clamps
Universal 2" pod intake with outerwear cover
10' exhaust wrap
10' heat resistant wrap
10' of 1/8" vacuum line
2601 U-J Mandrel Bend pipe, 1.5" O.D.
Universal Motorcycle exhaust

A lot of the items were already in my possession but if anyone were to purchase all these items it would sum down to $1600USD including the price of a turbo (450$)

Sensors

Stock Yamaha Map sensors range was 20inHG(1.34Volts) to 4Psi (4.4Volts)

Map sensor 5S6727(2002 honda civic)range is 20inHG(0.828Volts) to 8.7Psi(4.4Volts)

Turbo/Oil

The turbo sounds small but the turbine allows a 1.4L engine to breath at high rpm
It is casted specific so i had to modify the housing to accept flanges and i deleted the internal waste gate due to space issues. Tapped the turbo to accept my new fittings.

I used the oil check bolt on the front of the head(intake side) i originally machined a fitting to fit the stock threads but i didn't have much faith so i drill and tapped the yz head for 1/8NPT.

Drilled the magneto cover to accept 3/8"Npt to accept a 90* elbow and barbed fitting for the oil drain.

Fuel

Running 100LL Aviation fuel 1.80$ Cad a liter

So Far the stock injector has reached a max of 85% of its duty cycle at 4.8psi at 10.7 afr at 10300rpm. going to push till i get 100% at 11.5afr and log in its max boost/rpm/afr then I'm going to Decap the injector to increase its pounds per hour. (https://sites.google.com/site/sloppywiki/how-to-section/decap-factory-fuel-injectors)

Tuning

As of right now I'm using the pod-300 to Datalog and letting the auto tune do up to 20% of the enrichment and enleanments, I will post my tune file or photos for anyone in the future. (when its done)

Future/ upcoming mods

3 Bar map Sensor
Electronic boost controller
Head studs
matching a Headshim to lower c/r

image2-2.jpg image1-4.jpg image7.jpg image2-3.jpg image6.jpg image8.jpg image1-6.jpg image1-3.jpg

DanielMerrick

Lifetime Membership
Nov 20, 2014
Northern Ontario Canada
super cool of you to post this info. :cool: lag? reasonable in tight trees?

Thank you! As of now I don't find any lag at all but I will be building an air plenum that will utilize the stock intake boot!

We only have about 2 feet of snow max in some places! I wouldn't say the driving characteristics have changed except for the option to lug into a higher gear.

DanielMerrick

Lifetime Membership
Nov 20, 2014
Northern Ontario Canada
Update

Small update

Built an intake that utilizes the factory intake boot for a less laggy bottom end. Running a Gm 2bar map sensor. Upped the boost to 10psi and have yet to max out the injector duty cycle. I have approximately 15 good hours of riding time.

IMG_0629.jpg IMG_0638.jpg IMG_0428.jpg IMG_0634.jpg

Dec 1, 2007
livingston MT
Small update

Built an intake that utilizes the factory intake boot for a less laggy bottom end. Running a Gm 2bar map sensor. Upped the boost to 10psi and have yet to max out the injector duty cycle. I have approximately 15 good hours of riding time.

Did you ever turn up your boost and find the max duty of the stock injector? I will hopefully be going this route for my next turbo YZ build so I am curious. Do you have a link or picture of the 2 bar sensor? Can any 0-5 volt sensor work, im unfamiliar with the wiring?

DanielMerrick

Lifetime Membership
Nov 20, 2014
Northern Ontario Canada
Did you ever turn up your boost and find the max duty of the stock injector? I will hopefully be going this route for my next turbo YZ build so I am curious. Do you have a link or picture of the 2 bar sensor? Can any 0-5 volt sensor work, im unfamiliar with the wiring?

I maxed the stock fuel system at about 13Psi of boost on 100LL at 11AFR. I'm running this gm 2 bar map sensor https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00XPJPUNU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Any 0-5V map sensor will work fine. all i did was run off the power and ground from the stock yz map sensor.
I tried a decaped injector but it flowed a little more then double the fuel. I saw this larger injector claiming to be 35% larger on eBay and going to try it next year. https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Yamaha-YZ45...fffae47d|iid:1&_trksid=p2481888.c100678.m3607

Tuning has been interesting so far. I've gotten it auto tuning from boost reference but theirs still issues with my setup. Fighting freezing intake and few other small things. Im going to try perfecting it this summer with the wheels on, but all in all the bikes gotten lots of run time this year.

Dec 1, 2007
livingston MT
I'd love to see a screenshot of your boost fuel table if you ever get a chance. The dynojet configuration/set up is something I'll have to learn. My system came completely set up from KMS, so all I really know is how to accept trims.

DanielMerrick

Lifetime Membership
Nov 20, 2014
Northern Ontario Canada
Sloppy boost

I'm ruining an average 1000' in elevation. I'm trying a new tuning technique since I had a bad map sensor mess up my old map plus I compounded the problem with out knowing. I ended up removing the double base gasket because it made the bike run like a dog. So I started from square one, tuning the bike on rpm-tps running no boost to get a base map of the restricted intake and exhaust caused by the turbo. Then probably going to add boost this weekend. I'd definitely be interested in comparing maps, once mines semi completed this next week il post it. I could probably email the file to make it easier.

DanielMerrick

Lifetime Membership
Nov 20, 2014
Northern Ontario Canada
Played around on the lathe and did some tunning on the weekend. Upped the boost to 10psi. Shortened a fox float 3 from a can-am xmr to fit the timbersled as suspension strut. Had to take off a total of 9.25".

IMG_1158.jpg IMG_1157.jpg

Premium Features