• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

1000 summit fuel pump/s initial noise ?

Z
Apr 21, 2010
How audible is/should the low and high pumps be when trying to start up ?
I push the RER button or just pull the recoil and only hear 1 low and labored gurgle sound, like the sound a hungry stomach makes. Should it be more pronounced ? Should I hear the other pump energize ?
Thanks !

Z
Apr 21, 2010
Only 4 gals gas in tank, checked all the spade fuses not Relays, but does run with starting fluid /gas to cylinders.

wwracer

Lifetime Membership
Dec 6, 2007
Island Park ID
Do you have an electric low pressure pump? If so it should be mounted next to the chaincase, the electric pump was a recall fix by BRP to replace the pulse pump that was mounted under the motor. It's purpose is to ensure that the hp pump reservoir is always full It had a tendency to fill with oil from the pulse line rendering it useless, allowing the sled to stall when under a half a tank. Chances are pretty good your hearing the hi pressure cavitating.

Z
Apr 21, 2010
Doesn't seem to have electric pump, not anywhere near chaincase/muffler/mini battery area at least..
Battery charges and shows volts good but I wonder if amps are low and I'm hearing some relay resistance noise.
Sled has been down for years, exhaust mani was just hanging there by 1 bolt, engine bay all messed up with oil and grime like ridden that way for awhile. Did have some warning beeps when started with gas to cylinders ( but not all the time ).
Guess I'll try the full tank of gas thing and see if high pressure pump gets swamped.
A lot to be bad on these sleds it seems.

Z
Apr 21, 2010
Update. Knew I had spark, and gauge and light function so filled gas tank all the way to filler neck.
Gave her a few pulls and she starts and idles and revs on her own ! So I figure she needs new LP fuel pump to deliver fuel to HP fuel pump reservoir. I don't know what exactly im hearing when I press RER button but it does not sound like any other EFi energizing like ive heard before.

wwracer

Lifetime Membership
Dec 6, 2007
Island Park ID
Yeah, I owned one of these for three years, I really liked it, but she's a high maintenance gal... but will get the job done on the mountain. Check your fuel line coming out of the tank and see if it goes under the motor. If it does then it never had the update (electric LP pump) done. A look at the Dootalk Mach Z section is mandatory reading for this sled. I still have some lightweight side panels and a few other items for this sled if your interested...

Attachments

• final assembly rt 001.jpg
    final assembly rt 001.jpg
    192.2 KB · Views: 51
Z
Apr 21, 2010
Sounds like it has volume and can be fun ! Fuel line drops down under motor... What gave me pause was I did check and see that an update was done in '06 and something related to fuel pump 403 901 816 was done but tech or history didn't have more notes. Thinking maybe back then they just put an old style one back on ? No electric pump in this usual new place for sure..

H

HardcoreAK

Nov 3, 2001
North Road
Sounds like it has volume and can be fun ! Fuel line drops down under motor... What gave me pause was I did check and see that an update was done in '06 and something related to fuel pump 403 901 816 was done but tech or history didn't have more notes. Thinking maybe back then they just put an old style one back on ? No electric pump in this usual new place for sure..

The factory update kit did not put the electric fuel pump out by the chaincase. The old impulse pump under the motor was simply replaced with a Facet Automotive style electric pump and stayed in place under the motor. People who were smart took the pump out from under the motor and stuck it by the chaincase because the Facet pumps proved unreliable and they got tired of pulling the motor to swap it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Premium Features