• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

First ride on rmk.. need goldfinger now

J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009
^ you have that backwards. You would need to tighten the FTS to accomplish those things

Just wanted to reiterate what Jay just said. He speaks the truth. I also wouldn't go too crazy on this. It will hinder the sled's ability to get up on top of the snow (unless you do something with the valving/spring rate bla bla bla)

Colbymh

Lifetime Membership
Sep 1, 2018
Oregon
How would stiffening it make it turn over better? Thinking outloud.. are you saying the body roll right now is allowing it to do just that, roll, but if stiffer it will just lay over?

Colbymh

Lifetime Membership
Sep 1, 2018
Oregon
Id just make 1-2 click increments first. Does ass end need to be off ground tho for this? Dont see a reason why.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Id just make 1-2 click increments first. Does ass end need to be off ground tho for this? Dont see a reason why.

They are talking spring preload. (Front track shock) which has no clicker.

Stiffening the fts spring makes the front end lift (ski’s) easier under throttle.

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
I've gotta laugh a little here! When I started riding, I always assumed "lefty" throttles were an advanced rider sort of thing – so you could stand on the left board and not have to reach all the way across. I just assumed they were well-made and didn't increase the risk of a stuck throttle. Guess I'm not going to bother with that $200 "upgrade!"

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
Welp got my first break in ride on the pro rmk. Wow is mostly what comes to mind. Throttle response/power is insane.

I also rode my buddies 18 doo 850 and I thought it lacked in comparison.

What I do need is a goldfinger left hand throttle add on. Any other options out there?

attachment.php

Those things are dangerous, Option? Learn to ride.

MKULTRA

Lifetime Membership
Dec 31, 2015
quebec, canada
I've gotta laugh a little here! When I started riding, I always assumed "lefty" throttles were an advanced rider sort of thing – so you could stand on the left board and not have to reach all the way across. I just assumed they were well-made and didn't increase the risk of a stuck throttle. Guess I'm not going to bother with that $200 "upgrade!"
you never let go of the handles bars

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

Colbymh

Lifetime Membership
Sep 1, 2018
Oregon
They are talking spring preload. (Front track shock) which has no clicker.

Stiffening the fts spring makes the front end lift (ski’s) easier under throttle.

Ya I was meaning I could make 1-2 turns to stiffen. Sorry I made it sound like a rebound/compression click adjustment.

Colbymh

Lifetime Membership
Sep 1, 2018
Oregon
Im talked out of the left hand add on, but do believe a better setting will help lay it over.

MKULTRA

Lifetime Membership
Dec 31, 2015
quebec, canada
36inches a-arm, body position(weigh transfer), countersteer and throttle input should get you everywhere you want to go

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
I get a kick out of people who bag on others for mountain bars (love em when I'm stuck and need a good grab point)

Or lefties... seen plenty of wicked good riders (My riding does NOT fall into this category)use them in funky situations in the trees. I've seen some ice up... but i've seen stock throttles do the same... and tethers that Ice and don't work as well.

It is all about rider preference...just like bar-height, seat height,use of swaybar or not, air shocks, turbos, clutching etc etc.

Tethers and foot-loops are about the only ones that I believe are real safety issues on our sleds.

my 2¢

Colbymh

Lifetime Membership
Sep 1, 2018
Oregon
Ur saying u dont like tethers or wouldn’t ride w/o one? I see reasoning for not having one, but I was all over my sled and it never popped out. Would take me falling off to pull it.

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
So many people on here without the skills to use a lefty, or just not smart enough to realize it makes riding easier and better. I guess I'll let them decide which category they fit in. I'd say most are both :face-icon-small-sho

Perk

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Boise, Idaho
^ you have that backwards. You would need to tighten the FTS to accomplish those things

Thanks J - always get it backward for some reason - guess I am too old school and can't get the limiter strap adjustment (we used to do) out of my head.

I saw someone ask about raising the suspension or rolling the sled on its side to make the adjustment and wondering why - its because the threads of the shock body are so fragile - get the weight off and you are less likely to damage those threads - same for all the shocks on the the sled. You don't have to for sure.

Th OP asked why this helps, setting the skid up for a little more transfer helps when you don't have the feel for getting it up on its side because when you grab the throttle to bring it up on one side, the ski's pick up a little quicker/easier which makes getting it on edge easier.

Also, as mentioned by someone else, narrow front end really helps. I have run the KMOD 37" and the ZRP offset spindles. Both work great.

--Chris

MKULTRA

Lifetime Membership
Dec 31, 2015
quebec, canada
Sandman, when riding how does a lefty makes it better and easier? if you already have both hands on the handle what makes using the right side throttle harder?

I'm one of those unskilled sledders

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Sandman, when riding how does a lefty makes it better and easier? if you already have both hands on the handle what makes using the right side throttle harder?

I'm one of those unskilled sledders

I think he was joking. (I hope for humanities sake he was)

A little tongue in cheek.

(Because the comment is ridiculously funny) ???

Colbymh

Lifetime Membership
Sep 1, 2018
Oregon
Ive got buddies that wont ride without the add on of left throttle. I see all points of view that have been mentioned. I dont forsee getting one but in the moment I was in, it would have helped.

Im new to the mtn side of sledding, so will take some time to adjust.

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
How about when your stuck and your right ski is down in a treewell and pointed straight at the tree. Your sled is tilting into the treewell and you need to roll up instantly to miss the tree. SO much easier to grab the mountain bar and roll the sled using the lefty, ridiculously easier. Who would want to put your weight exactly where you don't want it to grab the right side throttle and make this maneuver 100 times harder? Or you're on hardpack and have to sidehill to the right across a bottomless cut for a couple hundred yards to keep going or turn around and go back. Your not gonna be able to just roll it up and go across, unless you want to slide out and watch your sled go tumbling down into the trees, so you're gonna have to lean downhill to grab the right throttle. I love doing this to people who refuse to use a lefty. I'm just hanging uphill and cruising right across while they are all cramped putting all their weight exactly where you don't want it. Seems pretty silly to me, why make your riding experience harder when there is a much easier way to do it.

Premium Features