• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Help, 850 won't start on the mountain.

W
Sep 9, 2013
Went out ridding today, buddies new 850 died after being fine for several hours starting on second pull every time. Stopped for a few and it won't start.

Took hood off, no luck.

Disconnected kill switch and dealer installed tether but also no go. Does anyone know for sure if it should start with all of these disconnected? Any ideas?

FriscoProx

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Try a couple pulls with the thumb throttle on the bars. They flood really easy during break-in. Then check plugs aren't fouled.

MKULTRA

Lifetime Membership
Dec 31, 2015
quebec, canada
they are not supposed to add oil in the tank.... silly dealer

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

J
Dec 8, 2007
Yeah, we figured that out the hard way. Got it going after an hour or so. He's going to dump the gas and start over.

I have the exact same problem, rode it for 2 hours and put it in the trailer. Went out this morning and the POS won't start. You just change the plugs?

S

snowmobiler

Nov 26, 2001
ill guess 99% of the time new plugs will start a new sled that wont start.might say that in owners manual too.

J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009
Did you try holding the throttle wide open and pulling it? Mine did the same thing. Has done it multiple times since. You could pull and pull and pull - need to open the throttle and it'll start right up.

W
Sep 9, 2013
Did you try holding the throttle wide open and pulling it? Mine did the same thing. Has done it multiple times since. You could pull and pull and pull - need to open the throttle and it'll start right up.

I have the exact same problem, rode it for 2 hours and put it in the trailer. Went out this morning and the POS won't start. You just change the plugs?

We just cleaned the plugs, didn't have new ones. Holding the throttle wide open seemed to be the real answer though.

J
Dec 8, 2007
We just cleaned the plugs, didn't have new ones. Holding the throttle wide open seemed to be the real answer though.

During the first 2 hours the sled adds more fuel and during the first ten hours the sled adds more oil.

If the dealer added oil into the tank also, guess what happens at the 2 hour mark? Less fuel and the same amount of oil. Sled is a 2 hour timebomb.

sledcaddie

Premium Member
Feb 11, 2008
Lincoln, NE
There's some sort of gremlin with fuel injection systems. We've had a couple sleds not start for no reason. A buddy told us about pinning the throttle to the bar, and they started right up. He said it was like rebooting the system by holding it wide open. This issue can also occur with cars.

Colbymh

Lifetime Membership
Sep 1, 2018
Oregon
My dealer added oil to my first tank also but was only half tank of gas (not sure how much oil was added. I had concerns about fouling plugs etc, so I just added a blend of 92 non ethanol and AV gas to fill the tank. Put on 30 miles, 5 hours of riding and not one issue. Crisp as could be.

JMCX

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Alberta
Most injection systems are designed to give no fuel if the throttle is 100% at startup. It's to clear a flooded engine.

clutch

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Big Horns Wyoming
There's some sort of gremlin with fuel injection systems. We've had a couple sleds not start for no reason. A buddy told us about pinning the throttle to the bar, and they started right up. He said it was like rebooting the system by holding it wide open. This issue can also occur with cars.
Wow! Am i the only one that drove something with a carb?:face-icon-small-con

F
Oct 16, 2008
Quebec
Same issue here

Get stock on the trail today ! Going tomorrow to tow that bitch!

I was riding and we took a break. The sled was cool and try to start it ! Nothing! Changed plugs and checked if they made spark and yes ! Check fuse in fusebox they were ok !

Try to start with throttle 100% with no luck .
Can it be the fuel pump recall !

Is tere something i can do before towing that POS

I will check the plug that someone was talking above

Dazzler

Lifetime Membership
Oct 24, 2009
Cochrane Ab
If you think/feel the motor is flooded on injector system engines, hit kill switch or turn off key, hold the throttle wide open and pull it over 5-6 pulls. Turn on key or kill switch pull over and engine should flash up.

Premium Features