• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

how would a yz250f with a 290 big bore do as a snowbike?

skibob1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 18, 2007
central az
how would a yz250f with a 290 big bore do as a snowbike?
would be riding in smaller mts and meadows 6500-1000' thx

short track!

would it be fun?

E
Dec 19, 2007
It would be fun for sure. If it isn't already a big bore don't bother making it bigger. It won't help much and usually less reliable.

skibob1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 18, 2007
central az
have the big bore. but not installed yet. but was thinking about selling a sled to get a moto trax 120 kit

P
Nov 28, 2007
Yukon Canada
It will be about 160 cc short of where it should be.

Fun to play with but hard on the engine a friend ran his YZ250 f on a snow kit and after a mild season it was blowing blue low compression etc.

That is all stock -- a big bore will be just that much harder on the engine.

He is going to his 250 2 stroke with a big bore just for the simple rebuild the 450s are simply where it is if you just want to ride.

Snowbikes are just hard on engines period.

definitely go camso over Moto track if you are looking for a cheaper kit.

Last edited:

skibob1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 18, 2007
central az
Thanks for the help might wait to get a fi 450 and keep the 250 set up for dirt.
in AZ use them both in the winter!

A
Jun 23, 2004
Black Diamond, WA
I've heard how "fun" 250 smokers are with a kit on them. And granted, I've only ridden the 450 Yami snowbike I have, but the numbers don't lie.
HP and TQ is what it is and I ride at low altitude and a stock good running 450 is barely enough when you've got it pointed uphill.
IMO it would be a waste of a good engine to thrash a 250 pulling a track.
Also, don't get a mototrax kit. If budget minded, you can get any number of used Timbersled kits for $2000-3000.

E
Dec 19, 2007
Quote from above
"a stock good running 450 is barely enough when you've got it pointed uphill"
Totally true but you can ride them all day in crazy deep snow without ever pointing it up hill. The trick is to do down hill switchbacks to get your ground speed back up then cross your old track to gain altitude. It's a total blast the guys who don't do it are missing out on the funnest sensations.

Mx racing wears out a 250f just as bad. And it's what they're built for. Any bike will experience extreme abuse pointed straight up hill and any bike can have enough power in some gear to cruise around at mid throttle at a lesser incline angle and not feel like your ringing it's neck all day. Just saying a 450 isn't a requirement....

Last edited:

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
We ran a yz250fx with the vorex ecu ran fine with lighter people ... And honestly would take me everywhere...is a 450 better yes...is a 250 a slouch not really the new ones have almost as much hp as a 450 6 or so years ago... I run 2 2 stroke 250 now... Also it is for sure hard on the bike... But the 250 4 bangers should have the same maintenance schedule as a 2 stroke in that environment... It should be a race schedule ...

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

ravenous

Lifetime Membership
Oct 21, 2013
A 450 is probably the best choice for sure, if you have one. But if you already have a 250F, go for it. And you don't have to do a big bore on it.
A friend of mines kid took one of my old TS 137 with a 2.5 track on it and stuck it on his 250F. Everyone told him it wouldn't work well cuz it was gutless and that it would immediately fly apart, but it worked awesome for his first snowbike season. Obviously he couldn"t climb the same lines that our bigger bikes could, but he would just find another way. He could still sidehill everything and drop everything. Being a fearless 20yr old that was born in the mountains helped a bit too, I guess. The funny thing is is he sold it and bought a 450 and immediately blew it up. Go figure.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
A 450 is probably the best choice for sure, if you have one. But if you already have a 250F, go for it. And you don't have to do a big bore on it.
A friend of mines kid took one of my old TS 137 with a 2.5 track on it and stuck it on his 250F. Everyone told him it wouldn't work well cuz it was gutless and that it would immediately fly apart, but it worked awesome for his first snowbike season. Obviously he couldn"t climb the same lines that our bigger bikes could, but he would just find another way. He could still sidehill everything and drop everything. Being a fearless 20yr old that was born in the mountains helped a bit too, I guess. The funny thing is is he sold it and bought a 450 and immediately blew it up. Go figure.

Used 450’s are usually time bombs.
I definitely would shop the seller...... (and only buy a blue used)

skibob1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 18, 2007
central az
Thanks so much for the info. All ready have the 250f and all ready have the 290 big borekit just have not had a chance to install it on the bike yet. Have 2 sleds was thinking about adding abike kit to the mix. Southern Utah and Co very short drive.

K
Feb 22, 2016
Belgrade MT
I run a 350 with a camso kit, no issues... works awesome. Like others said it doesn’t have the snot of a 450 but with the proper setup and traction it’s performs well. It’s a lot about rider to not just the bike.

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
Once you get a base it will be a great addition to the sled... Trust me you can get everywhere other people can just might need to take different lines or run in someone else's track...
Thanks so much for the info. All ready have the 250f and all ready have the 290 big borekit just have not had a chance to install it on the bike yet. Have 2 sleds was thinking about adding abike kit to the mix. Southern Utah and Co very short drive.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Premium Features