• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Spare Gas

JMCX

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Alberta
I don't see a thread in this Ascender forum on gas can carrying. What are people liking? I've been using the Mountain Addiction setup on my last three sleds but am tired of how sticky they can be. And l read that the thin tunnel on these Cats is easily bent. Was seriously considering Lin-Q adapters from Canada Sled Parts because the weight would be on the corners and it is a slick setup. Don't like the width of the Doo can but usually stash the can while playing. I also don't care for racks.

https://www.canadasledparts.com/product/linq-universal-tunnel-adapters/

B
Nov 11, 2009
Canada
I bought the linq brackets from Canada sled parts and went with the smaller doo gas can. The linq system works too well to bother with anything else in my opinion.

Also picked up a nxt lvl rear bumper to stiffen up the tunnel a bit. I think it’s too flimsy in stock form to handle a full gas can and a bag.

eldereldo

Lifetime Membership
Feb 23, 2014
Since I sled ski I always have a CFR rack on my sled. I also always install an aftermarket bumper to strengthen the tunnel as bombing down a whopped up trail with skis in the rack can easily bend any stock tunnel. Why don’t you like having a rack, I find it is the most flexible solution. I can put on a small gas can if I just want some emergency gas, or haul a big can if I am expecting to be riding deep snow or long distances.

JMCX

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Alberta
I bought the linq brackets from Canada sled parts and went with the smaller doo gas can. The linq system works too well to bother with anything else in my opinion

I didn't realize Doo had different sized cans in the Linq system. Will have to look into it.

Since I sled ski I always have a CFR rack on my sled. I also always install an aftermarket bumper to strengthen the tunnel as bombing down a whopped up trail with skis in the rack can easily bend any stock tunnel. Why don’t you like having a rack, I find it is the most flexible solution. I can put on a small gas can if I just want some emergency gas, or haul a big can if I am expecting to be riding deep snow or long distances.

I don't like having anything there that can collect snow or make it harder to keep the snow off. Do you have a link to the setup you like?

B
Nov 11, 2009
Canada
I didn't realize Doo had different sized cans in the Linq system. Will have to look into it.

They have the smaller 11L can which is what most guys have. The larger one is 14.5L and is stackable.

I like having the linq system in place because then I can quickly and easily mount anything else that has the same system. I have a BCA mtnpro tunnel bag on the way which can be used with the linq system. If I don’t want to carry one or the other on any particular day, I can move whatever I have to the front linq mount and there is no hassle involved. Skidoo has had this figured out for years.

Last edited:
F

Fack

Nov 28, 2007

I don't like having anything there that can collect snow or make it harder to keep the snow off. Do you have a link to the setup you like?

I didn’t realize ski doo made a smaller can. Does anyone have a link or part number for this smaller can?

Thanks!
Fack

JMCX

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Alberta
The Rotopax system is slick and well sized but it sure looks like the centre mount would do a number on this thin tunnel.

kiliki

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
Nampa, Idaho
you can always us the bigger can just put less in it.....3 gallon can covers 3 gallon and anything less...

I like the mountain addiction just use a wax on the bottom of the can and the rails and all good. pledge or car wax works, I use rain X.

JMCX

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Alberta
you can always us the bigger can just put less in it.....3 gallon can covers 3 gallon and anything less...

I like the mountain addiction just use a wax on the bottom of the can and the rails and all good. pledge or car wax works, I use rain X.

I made the mistake of lubing my MA rails once. The next time on a rough trail it was sliding back and forth so hard it kept coming off and I had to slow down. I guess you could lube one rail. The trouble is because of either excess pressure or vacuum the bottom of the can doesn't stay flat.

ARCTIC

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Boise, Idaho
Extra gas

My Mountain Addiction gas can ended up in a canyon somewhere!! If you use one of those, make sure to add extra tie downs or it’s like throwing a hundred bucks down the hill. We do enough of that already just participating in this sport. :rip::

GoBigParts

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Michigan
www.gobigparts.com
I made the mistake of lubing my MA rails once. The next time on a rough trail it was sliding back and forth so hard it kept coming off and I had to slow down. I guess you could lube one rail. The trouble is because of either excess pressure or vacuum the bottom of the can doesn't stay flat.

I use lemon pledge on the rails the first time taking my can on and off. Do it several times in a row. Wipe off all the pledge and never had a problem. Can goes on and off relatively easy but stays in place. I also use their low pro bags that always keep my items secure and dry.

JMCX

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Alberta
My Mountain Addiction gas can ended up in a canyon somewhere!! If you use one of those, make sure to add extra tie downs or it’s like throwing a hundred bucks down the hill. We do enough of that already just participating in this sport. :rip::

Your location isn't filled in. I found one on the trail once. Full too lol.

My buddy lost his a couple times but always found it. He wasn't careful about making sure both rails engaged is the best l can figure.

JMCX

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Alberta

Your location isn't filled in. I found one on the trail once. Full too lol.

My buddy lost his a couple times but always found it. He wasn't careful about making sure both rails engaged is the best l can figure.

Premium Features