• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2018 Lynx 850

S

sportsterdanne

May 3, 2011
The PPS skid is from early 1990:s (1992 ?)
The Lynx Cobra chassie had the first PPS skid with a Rising rate suspension inside the track.

Polaris Rush claimed to be the first Rising rate skid in 2010 and Ski doo claimed to be the first Rising rate skid inside the track when the R-motion was introduced in 2012.

Lynx then had the RCG suspension for some years and Went back to the new and revised PPS2

Lynx started to use pps skid in 2006 i think it was. Not very similar with the 2018 DS model thought. But the basics is the same.

fudge313

Lifetime Membership
Sep 6, 2015
Finland
All brands is sold but lynx and skidoo dominate. Lynx makes good racing sleds.. And for safari use there is nothing but lynx or skidoo. 600 ace is common for tourist use.

Oinakka

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2008
Sweden
The PPS skid is from early 1990:s (1992 ?)
The Lynx Cobra chassie had the first PPS skid with a Rising rate suspension inside the track.

Polaris Rush claimed to be the first Rising rate skid in 2010 and Ski doo claimed to be the first Rising rate skid inside the track when the R-motion was introduced in 2012.

Lynx then had the RCG suspension for some years and Went back to the new and revised PPS2
Doh! Of course... What was I thinking... I even had that 1994 rave 670...

Skickat från min SM-G930F via Tapatalk

S

sportsterdanne

May 3, 2011
Yamaha Pro action skid was fully coupled, the PPS is uncoupled, and Lynx was was a couple of years earlier than Yamaha with the shock parallell to the ground/tunnel.
and btw. Pro action skid is from 1997 ;)

I was gonna say looks like they picked up some sweet new 1998 yammi tech on that rear suspension

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah
Yamaha Pro action skid was fully coupled, the PPS is uncoupled, and Lynx was was a couple of years earlier than Yamaha with the shock parallell to the ground/tunnel.
and btw. Pro action skid is from 1997 ;)

Ya know, I had 1997 typed and second guessed myself then changed it. Goes ta show you should go with your gut.

As to the topic at hand, I think the lynx looks way better than the doo.

It's crazy to think some people would actually take a heavier beefed up sled that can take a beating over saving 20-30lbs and having a tin can.

b-litt

Premium Member
Aug 21, 2012
McCall, ID
m.youtube.com
30 pounds makes a huge difference in mountain riding. Especially in deep bottomless snow. The only place I'd add weight to beef up the 850 is in the bulkhead. I've seen and heard of more bulk head issues this year than I'd like to. I've also seen more bent tunnels on the Axys than I'd like to. The gen 4 is far from a "tin can" though. It's a fine line when it comes to weight and reliability.

I don't think the Lynx is designed for the same riding we do with the gen 4. I am also having a hard time believing that it's a superior sled. I know for one that I'd have that odd slow flap thing on the back of the track broken or ripped off quick in the trees. I'd probably be replacing that skid just like I did on the gen 4 too.

Has anyone with experience on the gen 4 actually ridden one of these?

Last edited:

rulonjj

Lifetime Membership
Apr 15, 2008
capitol town, WY
Ya know, I had 1997 typed and second guessed myself then changed it. Goes ta show you should go with your gut.

As to the topic at hand, I think the lynx looks way better than the doo.

It's crazy to think some people would actually take a heavier beefed up sled that can take a beating over saving 20-30lbs and having a tin can.

Ummm. Tin can?? Not really. The G4 is stronger than an axys in the tunnel. It all comes down to what weak link you want to deal with. And who says that the Lynx has a stronger bulkhead? That's the only weak spot that has really shown up on the G4.

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah
Ummm. Tin can?? Not really. The G4 is stronger than an axys in the tunnel. It all comes down to what weak link you want to deal with. And who says that the Lynx has a stronger bulkhead? That's the only weak spot that has really shown up on the G4.

I don't recall saying the lynx had a stronger bulkhead, but everything I've read about the lynx vs the doo is that the lynx is built to take more abuse.

Skidoo and polaris have both been a bit fragile for a while now, all be it in different ways. Doo has had issues in the bulk head region since the original rev, but hey, they're tunnels don't bend so somehow that's a win over a polaris that bends tunnels but not bulkheads.

As far as an extra 30lbs being so drastic in the mtns, I've yet to see a pro/axys accomplish anything that a doo or cat can't.

fudge313

Lifetime Membership
Sep 6, 2015
Finland
Motor is the same . chassis is different.. And track suspension. Lynx has a long history at making utilutysleds.. Army and the borderguard uses lynx.

rulonjj

Lifetime Membership
Apr 15, 2008
capitol town, WY
Motor is the same . chassis is different.. And track suspension. Lynx has a long history at making utilutysleds.. Army and the borderguard uses lynx.

When you say the chassis is different, do you know if the bulkhead is different or are you just referring to the short tunnel and suspension?

Premium Features