• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2015 800 t3 impulse

bmiller1985

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2013
merrimac, wi
I'm running an impulse at sea level, I haven't tried the reeds from Zeb and he's had good luck. I'm running Boyesen rage cages with custom turbo reeds. So far awesome, they knew exactly what they were going to build when I was talking to them about it too

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Backcountrypro

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
You putting reeds in already? I thought you just put that kit on there? Not sure what reeds came with my Turbo Performance kit but they looked like new yet after 1200 miles so I just reinstalled them.

S

summit-x

Mar 3, 2008
Central,ND
I fukked up last year when I was getting the clickers and boost set and hit the rev limiter, I've heard of guys hitting it once and they cracked just thought I'd throw in them tdr's I got with the kit but wanted to see what else is out there

bmiller1985

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2013
merrimac, wi
I ran into the same problem while clutching. Now I'm running rage cages with turbo pedals. Boyesen doesn't advertise them but they make them, and I've had good luck with so far.

hobbes

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
I ran into the same problem while clutching. Now I'm running rage cages with turbo pedals. Boyesen doesn't advertise them but they make them, and I've had good luck with so far.

After I crushed my reed cage on a backfire the first year, I was really considering this. I just didn't know that Boyesen made the turbo reeds for them. The other concern I had was just how large that dual reed opening was and the distance the reeds have to travel to open completely over the 4 reed setup like the stock cages. I'd be very interested to know how this works out for you. Keep us posted!!

brycter

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
West Haven, Utah
www.turboboys.net
big thing that we have found with the rage cage and boost. is the pedals are to square and will hit the side walls of the intake port under big boost numbers. making you loose sealing capacity on the outer front corners. they also have a little step under the front of the pedal and for some reason the pedal vibrates here and will crack.

Here at Turbo performance we sell a custom cut reed pedal for the stock cage. it works very very well. it starts as a boyseen turbo spec reed and then goes from there. we charge 90 for the whole engine set. so they are affordable for sure. when it comes to back fire and separation of the cages. only thing to do is buy a new one right now . or you can buy a set of 600 reed cages and then we sell a plastic spacer that will fit into the boost and make up the difference.

C
Jan 28, 2008
How many backfires are the stock reeds normally good for. I had about 3 during set up. How would I know if reeds are bad.

yamiman

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
ND
I installed new TDR reeds with my impulse kit, there is a little bit of light showing between the some of the reed petals and cage. Is this normal when new? the cages are new also. I tried curving them a little and barely tightened the screws and put locktite on them. What are stock reeds good to? can a guy get away with using stock reeds and putting half a reed over the tops of them and be reliable at 8-9 psi?

800PowerFanatic

Aug 31, 2010
Buffalo, MN
I have a tss kit and have never had a backfire. I called and asked them last year if I should get different reeds and if they sell ones, they do but he said with the low boost kit the stock ones will give you the best bottom end and our kit should never backfire so I shouldn't have a problem. I still kinda want to have a spare set in case because that would suck to fry a set on a trip and not have any.

yamiman

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
ND
I have a tss kit and have never had a backfire. I called and asked them last year if I should get different reeds and if they sell ones, they do but he said with the low boost kit the stock ones will give you the best bottom end and our kit should never backfire so I shouldn't have a problem. I still kinda want to have a spare set in case because that would suck to fry a set on a trip and not have any.

What kind of boost do you run on the stock reeds? I'm trying to get an idea if 8# is ok on them, want stock like throttle response

F
Nov 27, 2007
medicine hat
Went threw a set stock reeds after one backfire.. Had to get ecm reflashed to latest flats to get rid of lean spot in fuel curve.. Had it out this spring a few other times and ran great with tdr..

Toms heavy arms will prevent the over revving and never hit limiter again, strongly recommended and should be sold with the kit..

hobbes

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Went threw a set stock reeds after one backfire.. Had to get ecm reflashed to latest flats to get rid of lean spot in fuel curve.. Had it out this spring a few other times and ran great with tdr..

Toms heavy arms will prevent the over revving and never hit limiter again, strongly recommended and should be sold with the kit..

Dude. Backfiring because of hitting the rev limiter has NOTHING TO DO WITH A LEAN SPOT IN THE MIDRANGE! Even with the Tom's arms you still have to make sure you are hitting your target top end rpm. Again, sorry to be harsh on you but you can't keep going around blaming Impulse for the fact that you were clutched poorly and hit your rev limiter. The clutching Impulse has works fine if you watch your r's. Not as good as the Tom's arms IMO, but it does work.

Yamiman, the TDR's I installed on mine had a hairline of daylight showing also. Once the motor is running the pulse will keep them shut, don't worry about it. The TDR's are good reeds, I ran my Impulse on 10 lbs for about 1100 miles on one set and they still looked perfect at the end of the season. At 8 lbs you should be good to go for some time.

F
Nov 27, 2007
medicine hat
Let me exsplain.. When I purchased the sled I was told to send away Ecm for a reflash since there was a mid range lean spot that caused backfire.. I had used it in Colorado at hi attitude with out issue but when we went to Revy it became evident first day ride and took reeds out after a stab of the throttle two thirds into a climb.. And cost me a chopper ride..

Second set of reeds I took out was also in Revy when even on the lowest boost 5-6lbs it bounced off the rev limiter after. Break-in and took one reed out on pto side..

Once looking at what the primary had in it, it was somewhat shocking what was installed for pin weight.. With screws and washers on end of pins, and actually hitting the housing of primary, not allowing you to go less than clicker 3.. Somewhat a joke

I also run stock arms on the Aerocharger but use tungsten pins and it is actually a gram heavier than the **** show above and probably would of prevented the second set of reeds I had installed

Since then we installed toms 3D arms on impulse and he assures me with his arms its engineered to use full ramp profile that the stock Impuse arms could not do, and prevent the over rev

Since the 3D arms have been installed I have driven from the farm at 2400 feet to 10000 feet and not adjusted for rpm.. Where before it would of been impossible

Been at 7-8 lbs now for five rides and on our last ride swamped with a similar set up Aerocharger running 23 grams on stock arms, and same 438 ramps and similar boost.. We both drove one another's and his first words after getting off was that the Impuse pulled much harder..

Dude. Backfiring because of hitting the rev limiter has NOTHING TO DO WITH A LEAN SPOT IN THE MIDRANGE! Even with the Tom's arms you still have to make sure you are hitting your target top end rpm. Again, sorry to be harsh on you but you can't keep going around blaming Impulse for the fact that you were clutched poorly and hit your rev limiter. The clutching Impulse has works fine if you watch your r's. Not as good as the Tom's arms IMO, but it does work.

Yamiman, the TDR's I installed on mine had a hairline of daylight showing also. Once the motor is running the pulse will keep them shut, don't worry about it. The TDR's are good reeds, I ran my Impulse on 10 lbs for about 1100 miles on one set and they still looked perfect at the end of the season. At 8 lbs you should be good to go for some time.

image.jpeg image.jpg

bmiller1985

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2013
merrimac, wi
After I crushed my reed cage on a backfire the first year, I was really considering this. I just didn't know that Boyesen made the turbo reeds for them. The other concern I had was just how large that dual reed opening was and the distance the reeds have to travel to open completely over the 4 reed setup like the stock cages. I'd be very interested to know how this works out for you. Keep us posted!!
Did a ride in CO a couple weeks ago and the reeds were great. I just noticed now that you mentioned the large opening, the turbo reeds came with a steel backer plate that stop the peddles from opening too far and seem to be doing their job. All in all, I'm still waiting to run sea level since there's still green grass in Wisconsin, should be in upper Michigan in a couple weeks. Side note for clutching, call Tom's and tell them what you're riding conditions are, all I can say is wow what a difference

hobbes

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Let me exsplain.. When I purchased the sled I was told to send away Ecm for a reflash since there was a mid range lean spot that caused backfire.. I had used it in Colorado at hi attitude with out issue but when we went to Revy it became evident first day ride and took reeds out after a stab of the throttle two thirds into a climb.. And cost me a chopper ride..

Second set of reeds I took out was also in Revy when even on the lowest boost 5-6lbs it bounced off the rev limiter after. Break-in and took one reed out on pto side..

Once looking at what the primary had in it, it was somewhat shocking what was installed for pin weight.. With screws and washers on end of pins, and actually hitting the housing of primary, not allowing you to go less than clicker 3.. Somewhat a joke

I also run stock arms on the Aerocharger but use tungsten pins and it is actually a gram heavier than the **** show above and probably would of prevented the second set of reeds I had installed

Since then we installed toms 3D arms on impulse and he assures me with his arms its engineered to use full ramp profile that the stock Impuse arms could not do, and prevent the over rev

Since the 3D arms have been installed I have driven from the farm at 2400 feet to 10000 feet and not adjusted for rpm.. Where before it would of been impossible

Been at 7-8 lbs now for five rides and on our last ride swamped with a similar set up Aerocharger running 23 grams on stock arms, and same 438 ramps and similar boost.. We both drove one another's and his first words after getting off was that the Impuse pulled much harder..

Fred, the new Impulse map addressed the lean midrange on the 2015 sleds. But there was no "backfire" happening in the midrange, just a lean condition. I'm sorry that you bought a used sled with the clutching already installed and it wasn't ideal. I think maybe you are missing my point. Every post where you claim the kit was bad (a few of them now) is putting the blame for your reeds on the kit and not the tuner (you). I know that you are happy with your kit now that YOU have done some tuning and have it running well. I'm just trying to protect Impulse's already solid reputation by pointing out that 100% of your trouble was due to the tune of your sled, not the kit or the map that was installed. Again, I'm not trying to bust your balls, just protect a good reputation. And I'm not sponsored by Impulse, hell I'm not even running a turbo this year. I'm glad to see and hear that you've got yours dialed now!

F
Nov 27, 2007
medicine hat
Hobbes.. The lean condition your talking about made a backfire or pop that took them out.. I had two other guys that heard and seen it as well..lol

Impulse a solid company will also stand behind that, call them.. They were aware and fixed lean spot on second ref lash.. Problem solved

As for the arms they are using toms arms on there kits now and no more over rev..

I love my impulse kit now and have no beef with them or you, have a good day:eyebrows:

Fred, the new Impulse map addressed the lean midrange on the 2015 sleds. But there was no "backfire" happening in the midrange, just a lean condition. I'm sorry that you bought a used sled with the clutching already installed and it wasn't ideal. I think maybe you are missing my point. Every post where you claim the kit was bad (a few of them now) is putting the blame for your reeds on the kit and not the tuner (you). I know that you are happy with your kit now that YOU have done some tuning and have it running well. I'm just trying to protect Impulse's already solid reputation by pointing out that 100% of your trouble was due to the tune of your sled, not the kit or the map that was installed. Again, I'm not trying to bust your balls, just protect a good reputation. And I'm not sponsored by Impulse, hell I'm not even running a turbo this year. I'm glad to see and hear that you've got yours dialed now!

Premium Features