• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

06 rmk 900 operating temp

HalfBrit

Lifetime Membership
Dec 26, 2013
nw oregon
I ride with a friend who has a 700 dragon and with scratchers down he is staying under 135* mostly 125*. I on the other hand I pack my footwells with snow and and the rear cooler with snow and run freshly packed at 128* almost melted it gets up to 155*. With no snow packed in the wells or cooler it will run around 145* in the little powder we had and got up to 165* cruising down the trail.
It seemed to stay cooler on the high rpm hill climbs???
We weren't running on Ice but it was crusty snow and 45 degrees out. Is this normal or do you think I have a bad thermostat? How high is safe to run at? Thanks

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
I wouldn't run higher then 165 personally. Do u run scratchers also? Do u have a radiator delete?
Could be thermostat, I would replace it if it's older then 2-3 yrs for sure. Cheap insurance at least.
Ensure all air is bled out of the coolant. Not also add some water wetter. It does work well imo and helps keep temps down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HalfBrit

Lifetime Membership
Dec 26, 2013
nw oregon
Thanks Guido,
Yes I run scratchers. Yes radiator delete. stock thermostat I think 1300 miles on sled. I will get some water wetter.

Nov 26, 2007
CrawlOrado
these thermostats open at 125 I believe so your sled should run between 125-135 or so, if it starts climbing beyond that then you are not getting enough snow on the tunnel coolers

I am going to be upgrading the factory rear cooler on my 900 or adding another one. These 900's are hard to keep cool on the trail even with scratchers.
I have heard some running the front mount cooler in series with the mid and rear coolers, this is not an option for me but its a good idea for a trail sled.

I dont want to spend $400+ on a custom tunnel cooler I will try to fab something instead.

I have read other 900 owners have simply "dropped" the factory rear cooler to allow more airflow and snow exposure, with good results. I may try this first. Basically cut the rivets and re mount with 1/2" spacers

94fordguy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima, Wa.
You're perfectly fine, the 900 has a much older cooling system design that is inferior to the Dragon's RAW system. Keep your scratchers down as much as possible and just keep an eye on the gauge. 125F-150F is perfectly normal, I'll stop to throw on snow around 165... sooner if I know that conditions are going to be bad, in that case the sooner the better. Once you hit 200*F you're in the danger zone and the sled will go into limp mode soon after.

Nov 26, 2007
CrawlOrado
and then it will melt the head O rings and then you will be pushing coolant out your exhaust and rebuilding the top end ask me how I know!

Any CHEAPER ways to upgrade the 900 cooling system? would like her to be a bit more hard packed trail friendly until I can get another backup/spring sled

SixtySevenGT

Premium Member
Mar 25, 2008
Middleton, Idaho
Cooler Ride

Full Window the Track - Port the Track

No need for Xtra Clips--

picture.php

Much Cooler

Nov 26, 2007
CrawlOrado
I see people porting the track all the time
looks like you cut twice as many square holes and some round holes in the center

besides reducing weight and having a floatation (snowshoe) effect on the snow, how does it help cooling? Thanks!

R
Dec 17, 2006
I had some of the old coolers from the older polairs sleds that use to run the cooler under the foot well.had it fab to connect to the hoses running up by foot well. and it cooled my sled down alot. some people do not like putting coolers under there but I have had no problem with them. and I do some off trail riding also. cheaper way of doing it. I also put them under the tunnel. and no more build up of snow there any more .hope that helps :juggle:

SixtySevenGT

Premium Member
Mar 25, 2008
Middleton, Idaho
Track Porting

Porting the Track allows much more snow to pass thru to the Rear Tunnel Cooler.

Drill a few holes in the Front and Back doors of your house and see how much cooler the House is.

Most newer sleds have some minor Stock Porting in the Track in the form of center windows.

Most newer sleds have full lenght tunnel coolers. ( like the old XC trail Sleds had)

My first experience was on a 159 800 Edge. Could not ride it on the Trail without over heating at all without scratchers. I Ported the track and at least you could ride the trails most of the time with no scratchers.

It also relieves the Snow build up in the Tunnel in Deep Snow.

Floataion is not an issue with a 166.

Port the Track and still run the Scratchers.

Make sure your flap is stock length this is also a big snow catcher for the tunnel.

Nov 26, 2007
CrawlOrado
thanks guys! I am looking at cooling mods for this 900 on the cheap! these may help a great deal

The 900 has a cooler int he bulkhead, just in front of the track, then the side rails are the cooling lines to the rear mount cooler, which in my opinion is quite small. Was thinking of adding a second 900 cooler right in front of the rear mount one? cut a hole in the tunnel. or possibly just use a larger cooler in its place. Also heard dropping the cooler 1/2" or so helps ?

I have Arctic cat 162" Powerclaw on my 900, will look into porting that SOB

HalfBrit

Lifetime Membership
Dec 26, 2013
nw oregon
Just a follow up. I changed the thermostat and added purple Ice. It stayed cool in even warmer conditions and about the same snow conditions. Stayed in the 123 to 128 degree range.

Premium Features