• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

KTM 300 XC-W as Snowbike?

GreenState

Lifetime Membership
Feb 28, 2012
McCall
I traded my trail sled for a 300 XC-W this summer. Has anyone used one of these as a snowbike? How's it working? Any must have mods for winter use?

Broncoblue

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Boise, Id
1st ride

Rode mine today for the 1st time. Absolutely incredible! Had never been on a snowbike before and am hooked. Bye bye sledding. We had 2 feet of fresh on a decent base and it ran flawlessly. I put the slavens head, red power valve, 250 cdi box with rekluse. Do those mods and you'll love it.

M

mxracer299

Nov 24, 2010
Great Falls, MT
The 300s are going to work pretty good if they are built right. The xc and xcw transmissions are identical except for 1st gear which is lower on the w, it shouldn't be a huge deal. You will need to build the motor to get it to work good though, they are tamed down bottom end trail motors stock. I got my 300 race motor broke in yesterday and it is brutal fast, nothing like any 300 I've ever ridden, on dirt its waaaay faster than my 450 ktm i ran last year so it should work great on the snow! Figure on doing exhaust, porting, head work, reeds, cdi and a heated smart carb. You're going to have about $2,000 into it to run or maybe out run a 450 while keeping it nice and reliable.

Premium Features