• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Operating Temps...??

Aug 12, 2013
IL
I had my 06' 900 SB out last weekend for the first time.

I was riding groomed trails in Eagle River WI.

Ive rerouted the coolant lines as suggested while keeping the front radiator.

It seemed to run about 120-130 deg. In bad sections of the trail (wash board and minimal snow) I saw the temp spike to 180deg!

At what temp do you guys shutdown at?

Seemed to run good. Im going to let it thaw out and giver a good look over. Put about 450mi on so far.

Cerialsledder

SnoWest Badge Maker
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 14, 2013
Sault Ste Marie, MI

It seemed to run about 120-130 deg. In bad sections of the trail (wash board and minimal snow) I saw the temp spike to 180deg!

Seemed to run good. Im going to let it thaw out and giver a good look over. Put about 450mi on so far.

I use to shut mine down around 160 and kick snow on the rear heat exchanger. I ran everything in a series now it will run 118 - 126 all day long.

Cerialsledder

SnoWest Badge Maker
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 14, 2013
Sault Ste Marie, MI
what do you mean by series?

Currently you have noticed a T in the supply line between the radiator and the rear heat exchanger. To me this system was stupid because it is not utilizing the full cooling capability of the system. The coolant is going to follow the path of least resistance so by eliminating the T in the line and plugging off one of the return nipples on the coolant bottle you can then force the coolant to run through the Radiator and then the rear heat exchanger. So instead of having the radiator and the rear heat exchanger on their own separate loops you use them together to make one loop.... My sled runs at a constant 118-126 since I have done this..... I have a right up that one of the other memembers did that I can post.

Cerialsledder

SnoWest Badge Maker
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 14, 2013
Sault Ste Marie, MI

what do you mean by series?

Try this. This sets your system so the coolant flows in a series and helped me out big time.

Parts... 2- 90° (gray) pvc barbed elbows (3/4 or 1" ...I forget)
4- good ss hose clamps
Remove... pipe, right side chassis brace. And drain coolant.

You will see 2 hoses coming out of front radiator. A hose coming from thermostat neck on top of the motor and 1 hose that's behind the chassis brace going down under the engine.

Remove the Y fitting that's in the hose coming from the thermostat.

Using the plastic elbows... connect one of the hoses from the radiator to the thermostat hose. And the other rad hose to the hose going under the engine. Doesn't matter which rad hose goes where. Just don't hook the thermostat hose directly to the hose that goes under the engine ( that routing would be for the front radiator delete). Now your coolant will be FORCED to go through the front radiator. Trimming of the factory hoses is necessary in order to get everything to fit neatly . there's another hose coming from the front & middle of the coolant reservoir.... that hose gets removed from the system . And. cut it short, re install it on the reservoir and put a plastic barbed plug in it. Or you can get a reservoir from a newer 800 that doesn't have the front hose fitting on it. Don't forget to bleed the cooling system when you're done.

Premium Features