• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Grooming McCall

meathooker

Lifetime Membership
Jan 4, 2008
Boise, ID
Am I the only one who thinks the McCall grooming crew needs to be fired? It's the same thing year after year, one excuse after another after another.

I'm sick of the excuses just groom the damned trail or go find another job!

it was mint when we rode last friday :)

personally i kind of like it when they dont groom, makes the ride in more exciting. now when you're tired from riding all day heading out would be nice ...

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
it was mint when we rode last friday :)

personally i kind of like it when they dont groom, makes the ride in more exciting. now when you're tired from riding all day heading out would be nice ...

Yep, it was perfect, I was tearing up the corduroy all the way out.
Don't come with 5000 other people on the weekends and expect it to be nice on Sunday night.
I am sure they would appreciate donations also. The amount they groom is purely fundage based.

N

nuggetau

Sep 26, 2009
Idaho
Yep, it was perfect, I was tearing up the corduroy all the way out.
Don't come with 5000 other people on the weekends and expect it to be nice on Sunday night.
I am sure they would appreciate donations also. The amount they groom is purely fundage based.

They didn't groom for 8 days, the whoops leaving Titus where like riding a supercross track. They finally groomed last night, but they may have skipped the low part out of the parking lot again. I get that they don't want to till on the shallow snow, but they can still take the groomer and use the blade to knock down the whoops.

They like almost all groomers get their funding from the state parks and rec, which are our sticker fees.

Last edited:
B

BeckyJ

Jan 15, 2010
McCall, Idaho
www.secesh.net
Check the grooming report

Try checking the grooming report before you go out. That may help some. Valley County is having problems with getting the report out as they have in the past but I am trying to post last night's grooming before 8 AM each morning at www.secesh.net/Groomer.htm Volunteers are grooming Warren Wagon Road with the Challenger. The new Piston Bully is supposed to arrive this week. That should help. We are seeing a lot of downed trees through out the area. If you have time to help with clearing that will help the groomers move faster to keep more maintained.

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
Why would you post something like that, as soon as someone suggests that you help out if you don't like it?
If you don't like it, go somewhere else. I have 220 miles this year and only rode one bad section of trail, when trees were keeping the groomers out. And it was fun, to be honest. I come from a place where they NEVER groom trails, people here are spoiled. How far you think that measly sticker fee goes? (I bought 3 of them this year, so far.) At the end of the year, grooming stops when funds run out. Grooming has started MUCH earlier this year than last, which means it will more than likely end sooner. And did you read that VOLUNTEERS were doing some of it? Pitch in, or at the least appreciate what what people do for others.
Chris

Last edited:
N

nuggetau

Sep 26, 2009
Idaho
Why would you post something like that, as soon as someone suggests that you help out if you don't like it?
If you don't like it, go somewhere else. I have 220 miles this year and only rode one bad section of trail, when trees were keeping the groomers out. And it was fun, to be honest. I come from a place where they NEVER groom trails, people here are spoiled. How far you think that measly sticker fee goes? (I bought 3 of them this year, so far.) At the end of the year, grooming stops when funds run out. Grooming has started MUCH earlier this year than last, which means it will more than likely end sooner. And did you read that VOLUNTEERS were doing some of it? Pitch in, or at the least appreciate what what people do for others.
Chris

My post was NOT directed at Becky!

I talked to at least 50 people over that 7 day period in the parking lot(Titus) who were all complaining about how crappy the trail was. We discusses how best to light a fire under the "program". I said I would start a string to put a little public pressure on them to get up to speed. But as is often the case people will bitch and moan in private, but when it comes time to speak up they choose to sit with there mouths shut. Those are the people I was talking too.

As for volunteering, I have done so many times in the past several years. That is how I know how dysfunctional this program is.

So climb down off your high horse!

B

BeckyJ

Jan 15, 2010
McCall, Idaho
www.secesh.net
Room for impcovement

There is always room for improvement in any program. It helps if you are more specific in your comments i.e. by Sunday, the trailhead from X was very rough with 3 foot moguls, that gives more useable input. Warren Wagon Road was getting hammered every weekend because of high use and we raised funds and worked at getting more grooming on the trailhead to help with that problem. You have the best equipment and most experienced drive grooming out of Brundage right now. There are a lot of people on the trails and sometimes weather does defeat all of our efforts. I've also heard a lot of good comments about grooming this season. I think we started too early and hope they don't run out of funds before we run out of snow. It is a frustrating process and there is a new coordinator this season.

N

nuggetau

Sep 26, 2009
Idaho
Becky

I appreciate that there is a limited budget. May I suggest that the resources be assigned more proportional to usage. Trails that get minimal use are consuming more fuel and time than is prudent. I would prefer the trails and sections of trails that get the heaviest usage are groomed more frequently and those trails that are used less frequently are groomed far less.

simplypete

Lifetime Membership
Nov 20, 2009
That only works if you want everyone to ride from one location. I enjoy riding from green gate because there is always a place to park and the trail isn't hammered.

simplypete

Lifetime Membership
Nov 20, 2009
By the way props to the entire program, always grateful to ride a groomed trail. Tip will be tied to flagging at "the" green gate

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
My post was NOT directed at Becky!

I talked to at least 50 people over that 7 day period in the parking lot(Titus) who were all complaining about how crappy the trail was. We discusses how best to light a fire under the "program". I said I would start a string to put a little public pressure on them to get up to speed. But as is often the case people will bitch and moan in private, but when it comes time to speak up they choose to sit with there mouths shut. Those are the people I was talking too.

As for volunteering, I have done so many times in the past several years. That is how I know how dysfunctional this program is.

So climb down off your high horse!

You are the one looking down and telling people what to do, no high horse here. I appreciate what they do, and make do with what they cannot. Riding those trails (groomed or not) is a priveledge, not a right, and you should appreciate what they CAN do instead of complaining about a small section of trail that thousands of people use in a week.

Last edited:
Premium Features