• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

ported cylinders, found a small lil crack? ok to run?

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
hi guys, discovered very little crack, on the upper left corner of where your reeds would go in, the cylinders have been ported, so im thinking maybe its a casting imperfection??? afterall they where ported...., thanks!

478171_10151360343996155_1338088940_o.jpg

R

Red-eye

Dec 3, 2008
Sparwood, B.C. Can.
My guess is it would depend if it leaks antifreeze or not. The cylinder could be pressure checked. An option would be to get it welded and ground back to shape. Was it just ported or do you have it off fo a reason?
Nice pic, any more like that and I could port my own.:face-icon-small-hap

Dec 1, 2008
clarkston,wa
crack

I had a similar crack on a mod sled & they didnt tell me they welded it & the whole riding season I had nothing but problems! Let me say that again nothing but problems! a season wasted over a crack! Its already out or tore apart just change it out! just my opinion!

byeatts

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
hi guys, discovered very little crack, on the upper left corner of where your reeds would go in, the cylinders have been ported, so im thinking maybe its a casting imperfection??? afterall they where ported...., thanks!

478171_10151360343996155_1338088940_o.jpg

it is strange that the crack is opened up that far,I would really have it inspected thoroughly by cylinder shop. then weld as needed if everything looks good, was it running well when pulled down?A crack that visible could easily continue elsewhere not you may not be able to see it

Last edited:

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
it is strange that the crack is opened up that far,I would really have it inspected thoroughly by cylinder shop. then weld as needed if everything looks good, was it running well when pulled down?A crack that visible could easily continue elsewhere not you may not be able to see it

i looked at it there, its just there, it almost tbh looks like a casting impurity when i look up close to it, its also right next to the bolt hole/injector holes, so no antifreeze flowing near by, i think the guys porting it unveiled it, because theres one like that on the OTHER side, same opposite corner just slightly smaller

but, when i look at it too, i think i should TRY to see if somebody can weld it, to be safe, lol dont want to take a chance and rip the engine apart later

update: the crack on the 1 side is all the way through into the bolt hole, i put soap over the "crack" and blew into the hole and yeah..... it blows through and bubbles, agh! i guess i have no choice but ask for different cylinders, i was looking forward to running this free porting!

Last edited:

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
I'd get it fixed while you have it apart
Who ported it

this is their initials, i dont know who ported them, got them as a cylinder exchange from sea doo clinic, was talking to the guy about my turbo and he said, oh i got some ported cylinders that will work great for you and ill send them your way for no extra cost, so i figured, free porting, hell yeah!

heres the initials, dont know what it is, but maybe somebody else here knows of their initals or "markings"

IMG_20121202_223917.jpg

G
Apr 23, 2008
Jason, Ive seen a few of them brake the reed box off when running after some grinder got into the bolt holes.

you like to gamble ? go to vegas!!!

run cylinders that are not cut

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
Jason, Ive seen a few of them brake the reed box off when running after some grinder got into the bolt holes.

you like to gamble ? go to vegas!!!

run cylinders that are not cut

yeah, i dont know im going to see about them getting welded i suppose, or get a quote, also the porting is only slightly opened it up/made it so the air would flow smoother, the port timing was not touched at all,

snownman

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 11, 2007
cracked cyl....

It looks like a casting flaw to me. But, You could go to a welding shop and see if they will spray the outer side of the suspected "crack" with die-penetrant, wait a couple minutes. Then look where the flaw is and see if it bleeds through. If it does, definitely have it welded.

Premium Features