• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Shredding the NAR on the XM.

R
Oct 3, 2008
Eureka, Montana
Here is my honest opinion and my experiance with the xm vs the other sleds I own and ride. I have a 2011 freeride and a 2011 pro, I didn't care to much for the pro at first because I was used to the xp ride but after about three rides I got the hang of it and started to fall for it. I can pull narely lines on it throught the trees with ease and look back and think man that was sick and so easy. And I am not even tired after a full day of pure boondocking, this sled is awsome and truely a boondocker's dream. I was set on a 2013 Pro as my next sled.

Then I got to test ride the new xm yesterday and that threw me a total curve ball. The conditions were a heavy wet snow and you could leave about a 4" deep swath just coasting along, not much powder at all it was actually raining/hailing on us. I rode the xm for about 30 min and thought yeah this thing handles quite well but I still like my pro in that department. Then power was another story, this sled has power I am told it is just in the clutching improvments over the past couple of years but I felt like about 15 to 20% more over my 2011 freeride. ( I know it is also lighter than my freeride so that might be some of it to) But I was in a clear cut where I could really open it up and I sieriousely could have never let the skis touch the ground if I wanted to, this sled just flat out rips! I felt as if I was in the jackson hole hill climbs.

Then I gave the sled up and started talking to the ski doo rep about the ride and he asked me about the handling. I told him I have a freeride and it is wide and I have never rode the s 36 summit chassie so I couldn't tell you how it handles over that but it is snificantley easier to toss around than my freeride. So he said well here is my 2012 s 36 154 take it for a spin and see what you think. I rode it for about 30 minutes and liked it but I did feel that the xm did handle better in the trees there was just a little less effort involved with it and I really liked the new running bords. Being able to put your foot all the way foward really helped when making a tight turn to head back up hill or when cutting around a tree.

At lunch I scarfed down my food and kicked the owner of the dealer ship off his xm seat and said I am going for another ride, this thing is no pick nick table. :) I got to ride the sled for about another hour after that picking my way through the lodge pole which is as thick as the hair on a grizzly bear and finding the most technical lines I could. I found the xm to be very perdictable and holding my lines very well! Most of the time I was looking up hill for a thougher line!

So at the end of the day my conclusion was I will be buying a new XM next year which was not my intention at all at the start of the day because I really like my pro and its easy to ride. I felt the XM might take a little more effort than the pro to ride but not enough to make a differance and I felt with the power it has over my pro I could pull off even sicker lines. Hope you guys like the report I hope you can all get out and ride one for at least a hour or more. I am out of here going to see if i can find out where that test rider parks those xm's at nite. :face-icon-small-hap LOL

R
Oct 3, 2008
Eureka, Montana
I would but I am planning to sell both of my sleds this year and buying new because I don't like going down the road with no warranty. Blown up to many over the years and that is expensive. I feel buying a new sled and riding the new technology with a warranty doesn't cost me any more than putting money into my old sleds.

Y

Yamahog

Feb 13, 2011
Washington state
...is it cheaper AND more reliable to add hp, or drop weight?

Ace

Not sure I read you, RKT makes a great kit for the pro that adds power and makes the engine more reliable on a lighter platform.

The XM is probably awesome but the OP seemed to really like his pro but dug the power if the skidoo. If he wasn't looking to buy new adding some power would be certainly cheaper than buying a new sled, but as he said he wants new so I'm sure the XM will be a great choice.

Ace Freely

Lifetime Membership
Jul 6, 2002
Wenatchee, WA
My question was asking if it was cheaper to keep the XM stock motorwise, yet lighten it up, OR add power to the Poo.

Example...if you add a can, savings of 14lbs (300 bucks), and added a belt drive, savings of 7 lbs (1000 bucks), and got the XM closer to the POO in weight, BUT it was stock for warranty purposes, is that a better way of going than adding a BB kit (2200 ish) and voiding any manufacter's warranty...

Ace

Y

Yamahog

Feb 13, 2011
Washington state
My question was asking if it was cheaper to keep the XM stock motorwise, yet lighten it up, OR add power to the Poo.

Example...if you add a can, savings of 14lbs (300 bucks), and added a belt drive, savings of 7 lbs (1000 bucks), and got the XM closer to the POO in weight, BUT it was stock for warranty purposes, is that a better way of going than adding a BB kit (2200 ish) and voiding any manufacter's warranty...

Ace

I getchya, a good question.. although I don't think a dealer is going to be OK with the belt drive, that would be a deal breaker in my opinion.

wellfed777

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Oregon
ace
the companies are getting really picky about warranty stuff
with the can thats an easy swap but a belt drive? i don't know i guess if you've got a really cool dealer then it might fly

rmk thanks for the report

naper

Lifetime Membership
Mar 23, 2010
gillett, wi
just buy a new pro rmk and a new summit xm, then give us your opinion on both sleds!!! :face-icon-small-hap

R
Oct 3, 2008
Eureka, Montana
I'd be a little leary to add power to an already questionable motor.

Yeah but they all have their problems. My e tec is in the shop getting a new top end put in it with 845 miles on it. (Didn't make it to the top end recall @ 1200 mi, thank god for warranty once again) And on the flip side my pro is running like crap they think the tps(throttle positioning sensor) and the injectors need replaced and it only has 767 mi on it plus I had to get a new secondary for it. That is why I will not ride without warranty on my sleds nothing is bullet proof. And adding power only goes so far with warranty so I try not to do that anymore.

Feb 28, 2009
I would but I am planning to sell both of my sleds this year and buying new because I don't like going down the road with no warranty. Blown up to many over the years and that is expensive. I feel buying a new sled and riding the new technology with a warranty doesn't cost me any more than putting money into my old sleds.
You left the part out where after kicking Randy off the sled you layed a sweet roost right in his face. Good ride though I was really impressed with this sled as well. I ride a 12 and after riding the 13 going back to the 12 was like riding an 09 again.

F
Nov 27, 2007
medicine hat
starting to like the sounds of all the pre ride reports comming in, and this is on a stock xm chassie

30 quick pounds to be removed from chassie with stock bore porting and bb choices taking this sled to a whole new era.... gotta love it

great reveiw from another poo rider....

looking forward to the test ride

B

beans

Nov 27, 2007
Preston, WA
starting to like the sounds of all the pre ride reports comming in, and this is on a stock xm chassie

30 quick pounds to be removed from chassie with stock bore porting and bb choices taking this sled to a whole new era.... gotta love it

great reveiw from another poo rider....

looking forward to the test ride

Fred-

Let us know how to drop 30 lbs. quickly! I know you can drop 10-12 with a can but where does the weight come off after that? I remember dropping 30 lbs. off my Rev pretty easily -can, seat, swaybar, skis, bogeys etc. I have owned 3 XP sleds and cannot see how to drop more than 15 lbs. without it getting real expensive ie. going to Ti springs and hardware. Help us out with your secrets. Maybe you should start a thread showing how to drop 30 pounds quickly!

F
Nov 27, 2007
medicine hat
look up my threads, i posted it a few weeks ago, and it was over thirty pounds, on scaled weight

Fred-

Let us know how to drop 30 lbs. quickly! I know you can drop 10-12 with a can but where does the weight come off after that? I remember dropping 30 lbs. off my Rev pretty easily -can, seat, swaybar, skis, bogeys etc. I have owned 3 XP sleds and cannot see how to drop more than 15 lbs. without it getting real expensive ie. going to Ti springs and hardware. Help us out with your secrets. Maybe you should start a thread showing how to drop 30 pounds quickly!

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
odd that not one 13 sled has been released to the public for ownership, yet you have already tore one down, bought aftermarket parts for it and in the process ,weighed and documented 30 pds of weight loss? and funny the flickable poo the last 2 yrs sucked..too tippy, too snappy, too uncontrollable..yet the 13 doo goes to the same tippy,snappy uncontrollable, flickable style of riding and its the greatest thing since sliced bread? and I seriously doubt you can drop 30 pds off any of the new machines without spending serious dollars(going out and robbing chit off other clunkers in your yard doesnt count)..straight up buying from the aftermarket, building from scratch mods that anyone can do....and when you are all done with it and get it 1/2 way to the weight of a poo, still get the dealer to put in writing that he will still warranty the sled....come on guys...yes you can mod a sled and drop weight. but it cost serious money(other wise the manufacturer would do it to be more competitive...) to drop that kind of weight.....and to drop more then 40-50-60 pds of weight..its going to take far more then a lite weight can and seat......I will stick with a stock sled that already is lite weight with a 4 yr bumper to bumper....

Premium Features