• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.
Thread Rating
4.00 star(s)

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Since this has obviously caught most everyone's attention, I thought I would take a couple minutes to explain in a bit more detail just how on earth we are computing this new points system that generates the colored bars your now seeing.

The following is how SnoWest evaluates each member and determines their total score. Each of these carries a different value of points, the lowest being 0.5 and the highest being 50 right now.

Points for infractions (negative)
Points for completing profile
Points for reputation
Points for reputation use (giving rep points)

Points for days online
Points for social group members
Points for friends
Points for visitor messages
Points for album pictures
Points for referrals
Points for new threads started
Points for tags
Points for thread votes
Points for replies to own threads
Points for thread views
Points for sticky threads
Points for posts
Points for attachment views
Points for views on other user's attachments
Points for Thanks
Points for downloads
Points for vBulletin Blog
Points for Social Group Discussions
Points for Social Group Messages

But as you can see, the points calculations look at the TOTAL activity of an SnoWest member. You could never post a single thread on SnoWest and still rack up plenty of points by being an active participating member on the site in other ways.

UNDERSTANDING THE BARS.
Underneath the name of the poster are three colored bars.

ORANGE
The orange bar displays your total number of SnoWest points, and the bar shows your relative score as compared to the top poster on the site.

GREEN
The green bar shows your activity level based on participation on SnoWest. Every member can MAX out this bar just by being active in the various categories that award points.

BLUE
The blue bar shows how close you are to being promoted to the next level. There are 100 levels of membership from 0 points, to the highest score recorded on SnoWest. Levels are broken down in equal increments from top to bottom.

These three bars will allow any member to quickly get a snapshot of any other SnoWest member.

To see your experience points in detail, follow this link!
http://www.snowest.com/forum/xperience.php?go=activities

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
OK, the system is now turned ON.
It will take 24 hours till it UPDATES and the true values begin to fill in!

And everyone should get full credit for everything you have already done on SnoWest.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
So tell me how you picked my new post count? I had an honestly earned 23,395 posts last night. How did you arrive at 4700?

Last edited:
So sad to see the death of the forum...

Great. Another non-snowmachine related distraction for all the post whores to play with. There's already post count, rep points, and thanks. Now this new rating system. I suppose if you are trying to generate "activity" on the forum, you're succeeding. The problem as I see it is that most of the new activity will be about getting higher points, not posting about sledding. Great for selling the site to advertisers (which, I've realized, is the real reason you're here... ), bad for the members that want to talk about their sport.

Using the forums at SnoWest (or anywhere for that matter) shouldn't be a competition. But, I guess it's just another in a series of changes that I disagree with. :face-icon-small-sad

C
Jan 26, 2002
Alaska
:mad:This is ridiculous. Now we get to see how much "internet clout" everybody has.

Because I am a fairly active member on here, I pretty much know who to listen too, and who to ignore. ANYBODY that spends enough time on here to ask a few questions and does a bit of searching will soon find out who to ignore and who to listen to. This is just another distracting gimmick.

THIS IS SNOWEST, NOT FACEBOOK OR MYSPACE OR WHATEVER!

THANK YOU CHRISTOPHER FOR MAKING SNOWEST A SITE FOR YOU, AND NOT US!

I may have to join another forum afterall....

Last edited:

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
So tell me how you picked my new post count? I had an honestly earned 23,395 posts last night. How did you arrive at 4700?
Right now I am ONLY GUESSING.
But my best guess is that 18,695 of those posts were never made on "this" VBulliten Forum.

Chances are that they were all made on a previous SnoWest Forum that was imported into VBulliten.

M
Jan 22, 2008
pretty effin gay dude , like the previuos poster said , this isnt facebook or mytube.

Its freakin snowest and it doesnt need all this teeniebopper clutter.

The only reason I lurk and post on this site is its for the most part a staunch advocate of the sport through its members and there are more real riders here than 17 year old ramptramp wannabees

P
Dec 7, 2007
Mill Creek, WA
After seeing the new 'bars' on the posts, I went looking for an explanation.

I am grateful for all the efforts the mods (especially Christopher) are making, but to me, this new system is so complex, it reminds me of the BCS system.

In case anyone is interested, my personal feedback is I don't like the new rating bars. (I do like the other stuff so far) It was pretty easy before to see if someone was a goober or a vinegar-sack, with the one-bar rating.

For example, when one member has 2.1 Billion points, and is still at 1%, you need an accounting degree to keep track of the process.

I respectfully request the removal (go back to the old one bar system) of the 3-bar system.

Can we have some snow please?!?!?!?!?

Super Dave3

Lifetime Membership
Feb 15, 2003
Klamath Falls OR
Great. Another non-snowmachine related distraction for all the post whores to play with. There's already post count, rep points, and thanks. Now this new rating system. I suppose if you are trying to generate "activity" on the forum, you're succeeding. The problem as I see it is that most of the new activity will be about getting higher points, not posting about sledding. Great for selling the site to advertisers (which, I've realized, is the real reason you're here... ), bad for the members that want to talk about their sport.

Using the forums at SnoWest (or anywhere for that matter) shouldn't be a competition. But, I guess it's just another in a series of changes that I disagree with. :face-icon-small-sad

X2 could not agree more. The post whoring on here is bull$hit!

R

Rob1334

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Feb 26, 2008
Bismarck, ND
My Use account looks like the vegas strip.

Leave rep how it was, take the thanks away, and lets all pray for snow.

Christopher, you want an example of a forum with too much "crap" added on that takes away from the actual subject matter? PM me.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
The display settings were wrong on the new bars.
I had set them to force display.
The bars are still there, but they are set to POP-UP display.

Need to let the 24 hours go by so that they will have some meaning and the real values will populate into them.

If you click on the name of any user, you will see the bars are part of the Stats.

Premium Features