• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

850 No Start- Out of Break In- Ran Great

T

tbpatten33

Jul 18, 2011
Had this same issue with mine, headed for Canada and it wouldn't start, drove 450 miles with it in the back of the truck, unloaded it started 2nd pull....ran great all weekend. Had .3 hrs on it when it did this plugs were fine. Only thing I had done to sled was install cat tether which by the way is not currently working.

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
This has been happening since 2016. Sometimes these sleds flood on start-up. If you dont catch it after a couple pulls and hold it wide open throttle, the problem compounds quickly.

If your sled wont start, and you remove the plugs and they are wet, check for spark. If it has spark, its flooded!

cascadesnowjunky

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2007
Kennewick WA
This has been happening since 2016. Sometimes these sleds flood on start-up. If you dont catch it after a couple pulls and hold it wide open throttle, the problem compounds quickly.

If your sled wont start, and you remove the plugs and they are wet, check for spark. If it has spark, its flooded!

Thank you, someone with a little common sense. Lol

D
Dec 2, 2012
Quahog
When you start these things up and don't warm them up to operating temps ie backing them off of a trailer and shut them off or unloading them and coasting them into the shop really compounds the problem. I think they are so pig rich in break in mode that causes this.

J
Dec 8, 2007
I had the same issue, rode for 2 hours just fine, went to unload it the next day and it started for a second, died and then nothing.

Took it to the dealer, the diag plug wasn’t seated correctly. They reseated it and then had to get all of the fuel out of the engine.

Btw, if you unplug the diag plug, that disconnects the fuel pump. Then you arent pumping more fuel into the sled every time you pull on it...

sledneck322

Premium Member
Sep 26, 2013
ADK's
As some others have said, sometimes you have to hold her completely wide open and pull. I have had to do it on my 2019 as well as all my others over the years.

cvcustoms

#getsomegetthere
Lifetime Membership
Sep 10, 2018
www.cvcustoms.com
Where is the diag plug if you don't mind me asking?

Grabbed this from the other starting issue thread on here.

e802e8760cd44ad0df18562aea37bcf4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T
Sep 10, 2009
I had the same issue, rode for 2 hours just fine, went to unload it the next day and it started for a second, died and then nothing.

Took it to the dealer, the diag plug wasn’t seated correctly. They reseated it and then had to get all of the fuel out of the engine.

Btw, if you unplug the diag plug, that disconnects the fuel pump. Then you arent pumping more fuel into the sled every time you pull on it...

Can you clarify this?

Your diagnostic plug was disconnected - so they connected it and had to remove fuel from the engine.

Your next line says that when the diagnostic plug is unplugged it disconnects the fuel pump so you don't keep pumping more fuel into the sled.

So if yours was unplugged, where did all the fuel come from?

J
Dec 8, 2007
Can you clarify this?

Your diagnostic plug was disconnected - so they connected it and had to remove fuel from the engine.

Your next line says that when the diagnostic plug is unplugged it disconnects the fuel pump so you don't keep pumping more fuel into the sled.

So if yours was unplugged, where did all the fuel come from?

it wasn’t seated correctly, so it was intermittent. they unplugged it, cleared the fuel and then plugged it back in. Check the diag plug and make sure its got a good connection and no bent pins.

S
Apr 9, 2009
Canada
Mine won’t start either brand new 2 km. Went to take it out for a rip today and no go. New plugs, help wide open cranked a 1000 tines and nothing I’m soooo disappointed

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
Before everyone flips out about the 850's, I would say that my 800 did this at least five times last year. Every time, holding the throttle at 100% and pulling SEVERAL times did the trick. Temperature variances seemed to play into the issue.

nw-sickboy

Premium Member
Feb 12, 2008
Meridian ID
You may just have a shlt ton of gas in the case. So every time you go to pull it just drenches the plugs.

I had something similar happen to a cat a while ago. I had to do a hot plug start, hood off, flaps open, fuel line disconnected. I eventually got it to fire by heating up a plug with a torch (like glowing red hot), getting it in as quick as you can and then starting. It vaporizes the fuel so it doesn't put out the spark.

In my case it ran for like 10 minutes without the fuel line even attached.

Just a thought. Your drenched plugs make it sound like a similar issue. Mine was from overheating it on the way back to the truck the day before and so the thing must have been just dumping fuel in to cool it down. Next day, no starting and wet plugs no matter what I tried. I was burning off so much gas in the cylinders with a lighter it was getting scary. Mine would do the same with fresh plugs: fire for a second and then just repeat the cycle. I just had to get the gas out of there, one way or another.

This **** is showing up all over snowest and the 850 group on facebook. Break in has been a nightmare on these 850's for WAY to many owners. Between shipping issues/delays in getting snowchecks, WAY to rich during break in causing fouled plugs etc Polaris has really **** the bed on this one.

RMK-King

Super-Moderator
Dec 25, 2007
North Dakota
I have around 10hrs and 125 miles on mine so far without any issues. Polaris is working on the hot start problem some of the sleds are having. I find it kind of odd that only some sleds do it since they should all have the same mapping.

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
I would agree, but it seems that Doo is now doing the same thing, how hard is it to make a recoil starter work? Or deliver sleds before Xmas?

S
Apr 9, 2009
Canada
wonder how many no starts forgot to pull up the kill switch.

you can count me out......I dropped mine off last night and the tech seems to think being that the plugs are soaked and both plugs are firing that possibly the throttle bodies are not opening allowing oxygen to start the fire?

He's suggesting this because once the plugs where dried up and we held her wide open it fired up after only two pulls. So, if this happens to you try holding the throttle open if she don't start after the second or third pull.

I had a 18 G4 previous to this and yes it had its concerns but all you needed to do is pull that cord a FT max one time and she fired up every time. Not feeling warm and fuzzy about this motor just yet. The one thing I am noticing is how rich this motor seems to be on break in compare to the G4. Time will tell.......

S

snowmobiler

Nov 26, 2001
sounds like its to rich.might need to hold the throttle open on the first pull untill after break in or poo reflashes computor

Premium Features