• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Portable Compact Jump Pack. Anyone carry one in their pack?

Just wondering if any of you are carrying a compact portable jump pack with you? My 2018 KTM obviously doesn’t have the option for kick start so if any happened where the battery failed 20 miles from the truck I would be SOL. I am strongly considering buying a Noco GB40 Compact Jump Starter to carry with me just Incase.
Has anyone else had this thought or am I overthinking this?

https://no.co/gb40

up-high

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Alberta Canada
Carried one for years since I started riding yammi 4 strokes.. Used it once on an Apex and once on the 570 Berg. Think it's a good idea.

A
Jan 15, 2010
Sherwood Park AB
I carry the gb40 with me and have quick connect leads installed. I did need it one time while address an electrical problem on the hill. Not a bad thing to have. C3 have some new jump packs that are much smaller than the gb40 with the same specs. That's what I would get. Comes with nice quick connect leads too.

W
Nov 17, 2010
U.P
I’ve always carried a jump pack.(lightning). Good thing..
The very first ride with my brand new 2018 ktm it wouldn’t start on its own.
It was about -3 F. Sometimes even taking a lunch break out in the woods and with the bike cooling off it wouldn’t start.
I was running summer weight oil, and that was a mistake. Run a lighter weight oil and it’ll start a lot easier
The stock batteries are garbage.. I’ve had to replace them twice now.
last time the bike would not start at all even with my jump pack because apparently the ecu must sense something and won’t let the bike run.
My advice is to run a jump pack at all times.. also running lead extenders will make the startup process quicker. Taking the seat off requires 2 torx head bolts..
I just replaced the lithium ion with lead acid..

jrlastofthebreed

It seemed like a good idea at the time
Lifetime Membership
Oct 24, 2016
Coeur d'Alene ID
I carry one and love it. I have a carbureted bike and sometimes when its cold and the batteries frozen its hard to start. With quick disconnects its easy. It also has the USB for my GPS or phone. I think its a must have item. Especially in a SHTF. Heck it will even jump my pickup at the trail head.

Y
Dec 3, 2014
Boise, ID
I carry a micro-start sport and have it wired to be able to jump without removing the seat. I also have the heated grips wired to a quick disconnect that plugs into the jumper so that I have one less wire going directly to the battery. If I need to jump it or plug it into the battery tender, I just unplug the heated grips and plug into that lead.

B
I had carried a Weego JS12 in my RotoPax-box all last winter but only needed the jump pack for the first start of the day when it was very, very cold out, single digits or below. Otherwise, I have never needed to use the jump pack out in the field, either for the snowbike or the dirtbike.

I have a backup kickstarter but, if the battery ever goes to less than something like 8V, the bike will not start no matter what.

Premium Features