For support please email or pm Christopher christopher@snowestonline.com

Upgrade to Premium

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2018, 01:38 PM
Currently: wanting to ride
Basic Member
jacmmaxwell has a reputation beyond reputejacmmaxwell has a reputation beyond reputejacmmaxwell has a reputation beyond reputejacmmaxwell has a reputation beyond reputejacmmaxwell has a reputation beyond reputejacmmaxwell has a reputation beyond reputejacmmaxwell has a reputation beyond reputejacmmaxwell has a reputation beyond reputejacmmaxwell has a reputation beyond reputejacmmaxwell has a reputation beyond reputejacmmaxwell has a reputation beyond repute
Default Setting up my first snowbike , 300 2-stroke questions

I picked up a '14 kit over the summer and I've got it mounted up on my bike but have some finishing touches I need to work out. Hoping I can find some wisdom on here as the search brings up loads of useless info.

Carb heater ... I need one

Is the KTM electric enough ? I ride in central Idaho in the sawtooth's and it's pretty dry. I've never used a heated carb on my sleds but bike might be a little tricky. I like the electric as I can leave it in place for summer riding.

T-stat ... need on of those too , maybe?

My kit has a tunnel cooler in it and I'm leaning toward using it how ever is there a reason to stay with the radiators? I was going to run a KTM 990 T-stat as it's 175 degrees and has a bypass for heated bars or carb heat if the electric is not enough... not to mention they are 32 dollars.

Pre filter ... what are you guys using on the '14 style 300's ? I can't find anything other than universal stuff. My bike is a '14 Husaberg TE300 , pretty much a Husqvarna TE300 with pds or a 300 XC-w

Jetting... I know I need to rejet richer for temp but how much do you guys have to fiddle with the carbs on the 2 stroke snowbikes? The bike rides great from 6,000 to 9,000 in the summer and this is the same range I'll be flogging it in the winter.

Extra fuel .... I have the rails for the mountain addiction can but since they are 85 bucks I fabbed up a quick rack for a 2.5 gallon can I had laying around. How does your fuel consumption compare to the 4 strokes?

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Rate this post: Yes | No
Old 12-05-2018, 01:51 PM
Currently: 18 Camso DTS 129
Basic Member
Ben 500RR-S has a reputation beyond reputeBen 500RR-S has a reputation beyond reputeBen 500RR-S has a reputation beyond reputeBen 500RR-S has a reputation beyond reputeBen 500RR-S has a reputation beyond reputeBen 500RR-S has a reputation beyond reputeBen 500RR-S has a reputation beyond reputeBen 500RR-S has a reputation beyond reputeBen 500RR-S has a reputation beyond reputeBen 500RR-S has a reputation beyond reputeBen 500RR-S has a reputation beyond repute

You are in the right place at least. The guys on here have been helping me since last winter.

I'm also setting up a KTM 300 and am waiting for a new SmartCarb, a PST carb heater, thermobob and velocity intake.

At least for the CRF 450X that my BIL runs, I just put in a JD jet kit with their blue-cold weather needle along with the recommended #165 main jet. It came with a #158 and I had then put in a #145 not knowing a thing about jetting.

Guys that know better than me will advise.

Rate this post: Yes | No
Old 12-05-2018, 02:34 PM
Currently: Not set.
Basic Member
rhino89523 has a reputation beyond reputerhino89523 has a reputation beyond reputerhino89523 has a reputation beyond reputerhino89523 has a reputation beyond reputerhino89523 has a reputation beyond reputerhino89523 has a reputation beyond reputerhino89523 has a reputation beyond reputerhino89523 has a reputation beyond reputerhino89523 has a reputation beyond reputerhino89523 has a reputation beyond reputerhino89523 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not on a 300, I ride a CR500, and I'm in the Sierras so wetter and warmer and I am snowbike specific, I ride a 500AF as one of my main singletrack trail bikes but I don't switch back and forth.

I have a coolant carb heater and I think it's needed. I'm not sure if it's so much the cold as the velocity that makes it want to freeze up, but it works better with the heater. No idea on the electric heater.

I run a tunnel cooler and thats what was needed on my bike, it got real hot with just radiators. I still run one radiator with the tunnel cooler and a thermostat.

Your thermostat seems a little hot for a 2 stroke, most the 2 stroke thermostats pop around 130...I'm sure the housing is probably fine but you may want to lower the operating range. I like the motorcycle/snobike specific ones for the bypass function.

I don't fiddle much with my jetting, my bike can blow through a little richness, I would mess with it if I heard it get yingy lean. a little fat...no big deal for me it still seems to rip pretty good. Our temps don't fluctuate a ton, when it gets towards spring if it's supper blubbery I have dropped. I like my trail bikes and my snowbikes a little fat on the bottom end, the only bike I really fiddle with the jetting a lot is my sand bike...lean is mean, not too lean though.

My bike doesn't seem to go through substantially more fuel than my buddies on their 500 whatever 4 stroke KTM's but it does drink it. I run a 4 gallon volcano desert tank on the bike and the 3.5 or whatever it is mountain addiction kicker and one day I had to pull another tank at a friends cabin so I always bring extra 2 stroke oil.

Have a blast!!!!.

Last edited by rhino89523; 12-05-2018 at 02:38 PM.

Old 12-05-2018, 02:40 PM
Currently: Planning a build
Basic Member
M5- has a reputation beyond reputeM5- has a reputation beyond reputeM5- has a reputation beyond reputeM5- has a reputation beyond reputeM5- has a reputation beyond reputeM5- has a reputation beyond reputeM5- has a reputation beyond reputeM5- has a reputation beyond reputeM5- has a reputation beyond reputeM5- has a reputation beyond reputeM5- has a reputation beyond repute

Electric heater is a POS and complete waste of time on a snow bike that sees powder. Been there done that.

M5

Old 12-05-2018, 02:46 PM
Currently: 18 Camso DTS 129
Basic Member
Ben 500RR-S has a reputation beyond reputeBen 500RR-S has a reputation beyond reputeBen 500RR-S has a reputation beyond reputeBen 500RR-S has a reputation beyond reputeBen 500RR-S has a reputation beyond reputeBen 500RR-S has a reputation beyond reputeBen 500RR-S has a reputation beyond reputeBen 500RR-S has a reputation beyond reputeBen 500RR-S has a reputation beyond reputeBen 500RR-S has a reputation beyond reputeBen 500RR-S has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5- View Post
Electric heater is a POS and complete waste of time on a snow bike that sees powder. Been there done that.

M5
I have not heard much good about the $60 plug/heater element either. It seems that is for riding around on the dirt in the winter and not for snowbike duty.

There has to be a good reason for all the clamp on-slide on coolant carb heaters along with carburetor jackets-they are just needed.

We found out the hard way last Saturday night as the KTM 300 kept on bogging/stalling due to the icing. Thankfully we were just on a hayfield and had the time to just chill while the heat would/could melt whatever icing had taken place and the bike could get started again.

Old 12-05-2018, 11:00 PM
Currently: waiting on pow
2smokin has a reputation beyond repute2smokin has a reputation beyond repute2smokin has a reputation beyond repute2smokin has a reputation beyond repute2smokin has a reputation beyond repute2smokin has a reputation beyond repute2smokin has a reputation beyond repute2smokin has a reputation beyond repute2smokin has a reputation beyond repute2smokin has a reputation beyond repute2smokin has a reputation beyond repute

seems like the tunnel cooler would be nice for hotter low snow days, at least it would be consistent. my 18 300 wont get too hot if theres pow no matter how long you hold it wide. 130 thermostat works good leaves you some room to warm up without getting super hot. pst should have an intake for you. fuel use wise if im just lugging around it barely burn any but once i get into the deep and rev it up fuel goes pretty quick. can easily do a gallon an engine hour if running it hard.

Old 12-06-2018, 09:22 AM
Basic Member
jacmmaxwell has a reputation beyond reputejacmmaxwell has a reputation beyond reputejacmmaxwell has a reputation beyond reputejacmmaxwell has a reputation beyond reputejacmmaxwell has a reputation beyond reputejacmmaxwell has a reputation beyond reputejacmmaxwell has a reputation beyond reputejacmmaxwell has a reputation beyond reputejacmmaxwell has a reputation beyond reputejacmmaxwell has a reputation beyond reputejacmmaxwell has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks guys ,

So no to the ktm heater , coolant heated it is. Are you all running them all the time or just when you start to ice?

Fuel consumption doesn't seem too much of a difference from the 4 strokes, but might need a larger jerry can.

130 is a better temp than what I was looking at , I'll use the skidoo XP thermostat on the shelf they are right about 130 if I recall and I'll plumb in the tunnel cooler and run it.

Old 12-06-2018, 10:48 AM
Basic Member
rhino89523 has a reputation beyond reputerhino89523 has a reputation beyond reputerhino89523 has a reputation beyond reputerhino89523 has a reputation beyond reputerhino89523 has a reputation beyond reputerhino89523 has a reputation beyond reputerhino89523 has a reputation beyond reputerhino89523 has a reputation beyond reputerhino89523 has a reputation beyond reputerhino89523 has a reputation beyond reputerhino89523 has a reputation beyond repute

I built mine with a valve to turn the heater off....and I never have.

Old 12-06-2018, 01:18 PM
Basic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhino89523 View Post
I'm not on a 300, I ride a CR500, and I'm in the Sierras so wetter and warmer and I am snowbike specific, I ride a 500AF as one of my main singletrack trail bikes but I don't switch back and forth.

I have a coolant carb heater and I think it's needed. I'm not sure if it's so much the cold as the velocity that makes it want to freeze up, but it works better with the heater. No idea on the electric heater.

I run a tunnel cooler and thats what was needed on my bike, it got real hot with just radiators. I still run one radiator with the tunnel cooler and a thermostat.

Your thermostat seems a little hot for a 2 stroke, most the 2 stroke thermostats pop around 130...I'm sure the housing is probably fine but you may want to lower the operating range. I like the motorcycle/snobike specific ones for the bypass function.

I don't fiddle much with my jetting, my bike can blow through a little richness, I would mess with it if I heard it get yingy lean. a little fat...no big deal for me it still seems to rip pretty good. Our temps don't fluctuate a ton, when it gets towards spring if it's supper blubbery I have dropped. I like my trail bikes and my snowbikes a little fat on the bottom end, the only bike I really fiddle with the jetting a lot is my sand bike...lean is mean, not too lean though.

My bike doesn't seem to go through substantially more fuel than my buddies on their 500 whatever 4 stroke KTM's but it does drink it. I run a 4 gallon volcano desert tank on the bike and the 3.5 or whatever it is mountain addiction kicker and one day I had to pull another tank at a friends cabin so I always bring extra 2 stroke oil.

Have a blast!!!!.

Are you running a pressure cap on your tunnel cooler? The one I have is currently setup with no filler or pressure cap and that sees like a risky setup. I have found some inline fillers with a cap that would work ... most are listed with a .9 bar and that's about half what my radiator cap is if I recall.

Old 12-06-2018, 05:23 PM
Basic Member
Old 12-06-2018, 06:19 PM
Currently: Home of the Mountain Addiction gas can covers and custom insulated engine blankets
Revv Up has a reputation beyond reputeRevv Up has a reputation beyond reputeRevv Up has a reputation beyond reputeRevv Up has a reputation beyond reputeRevv Up has a reputation beyond reputeRevv Up has a reputation beyond reputeRevv Up has a reputation beyond reputeRevv Up has a reputation beyond reputeRevv Up has a reputation beyond reputeRevv Up has a reputation beyond reputeRevv Up has a reputation beyond repute
Warning You Must be a registered member and logged in to view this response.

Click Here to Register

Old 12-06-2018, 07:28 PM
Currently: Praying for snow
wwillf01 has a reputation beyond reputewwillf01 has a reputation beyond reputewwillf01 has a reputation beyond reputewwillf01 has a reputation beyond reputewwillf01 has a reputation beyond reputewwillf01 has a reputation beyond reputewwillf01 has a reputation beyond reputewwillf01 has a reputation beyond reputewwillf01 has a reputation beyond reputewwillf01 has a reputation beyond reputewwillf01 has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 12-06-2018, 08:12 PM
Basic Member

Click Here to Register

Old 12-06-2018, 08:21 PM
Currently: Praying for snow
wwillf01 has a reputation beyond reputewwillf01 has a reputation beyond reputewwillf01 has a reputation beyond reputewwillf01 has a reputation beyond reputewwillf01 has a reputation beyond reputewwillf01 has a reputation beyond reputewwillf01 has a reputation beyond reputewwillf01 has a reputation beyond reputewwillf01 has a reputation beyond reputewwillf01 has a reputation beyond reputewwillf01 has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 12-06-2018, 09:30 PM
Currently: Snowbiking Wyoming
Basic Member
eric82930 has a reputation beyond reputeeric82930 has a reputation beyond reputeeric82930 has a reputation beyond reputeeric82930 has a reputation beyond reputeeric82930 has a reputation beyond reputeeric82930 has a reputation beyond reputeeric82930 has a reputation beyond reputeeric82930 has a reputation beyond reputeeric82930 has a reputation beyond reputeeric82930 has a reputation beyond reputeeric82930 has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 12-07-2018, 09:06 AM
Basic Member
tek9tim has a reputation beyond reputetek9tim has a reputation beyond reputetek9tim has a reputation beyond reputetek9tim has a reputation beyond reputetek9tim has a reputation beyond reputetek9tim has a reputation beyond reputetek9tim has a reputation beyond reputetek9tim has a reputation beyond reputetek9tim has a reputation beyond reputetek9tim has a reputation beyond reputetek9tim has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 12-07-2018, 09:41 AM
Basic Member

Click Here to Register

Old 12-07-2018, 10:10 AM
Currently: livin' the dream!, but needin' to ride!
chumbilly1 has a reputation beyond reputechumbilly1 has a reputation beyond reputechumbilly1 has a reputation beyond reputechumbilly1 has a reputation beyond reputechumbilly1 has a reputation beyond reputechumbilly1 has a reputation beyond reputechumbilly1 has a reputation beyond reputechumbilly1 has a reputation beyond reputechumbilly1 has a reputation beyond reputechumbilly1 has a reputation beyond reputechumbilly1 has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 12-07-2018, 11:02 AM
Basic Member

Click Here to Register

Old 12-07-2018, 12:04 PM
Basic Member

Click Here to Register

Old 12-07-2018, 06:25 PM
Currently: Home of the Mountain Addiction gas can covers and custom insulated engine blankets
Revv Up has a reputation beyond reputeRevv Up has a reputation beyond reputeRevv Up has a reputation beyond reputeRevv Up has a reputation beyond reputeRevv Up has a reputation beyond reputeRevv Up has a reputation beyond reputeRevv Up has a reputation beyond reputeRevv Up has a reputation beyond reputeRevv Up has a reputation beyond reputeRevv Up has a reputation beyond reputeRevv Up has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register