• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Getting header pipe flange off the exhaust studs at the head, how? Thing is stuck.

B
2008 CRF 450X.

I got a stock muffler and learned that I have to get a stock head pipe but when I went to the garage to take the Yoshimura head pipe off, while the nuts on the exhaust studs came off easy enough, for the life of me I could not get the exhaust flange to slide down and off the studs. I had tried everything but flame/heat. I did NOT want to take any chance with ruining those threads.

Does anyone have any tips or tricks in getting the exhaust flange to slide down and off the two studs?

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
BFH usually works.

Usually after so many heat cycles the flange needs to be pryed off the head.

Gearwrench adjustable prybar (indexable head) works wonders for getting the right leverage.

B
BFH usually works.

Usually after so many heat cycles the flange needs to be pryed off the head.

Gearwrench adjustable prybar (indexable head) works wonders for getting the right leverage.

Thanks.

I didn't do a good job of describing it and should have taken a picture of it but, there is the pipe, then there is a flange that is loose, and the two holes in the flange slide onto the studs.

It is like the flange has warped so that it is making it really tough to get the flange to slide off the studs. The flange doee move around a bit but while I can get it to slide a bit on the stud closest to me, the other side does not want to move at all.

I've been prying at it but have been so deathly afraid of damaging the exhaust studs as I know that replacing those studs would be wayyyy more than I'd want to deal with.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Thanks.

I didn't do a good job of describing it and should have taken a picture of it but, there is the pipe, then there is a flange that is loose, and the two holes in the flange slide onto the studs.

It is like the flange has warped so that it is making it really tough to get the flange to slide off the studs. The flange doee move around a bit but while I can get it to slide a bit on the stud closest to me, the other side does not want to move at all.

I've been prying at it but have been so deathly afraid of damaging the exhaust studs as I know that replacing those studs would be wayyyy more than I'd want to deal with.

I got what you were talking about.
You just need to keep the flange even as it comes off.
A little pry on each side.

If one side has been pried completely off the stud with the other one all the way on you have probably bent the stud.

Two prybars working together is the best. (I usually end up using one regular and one adjustable)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Premium Features