• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2019s to get SWEET race sled headlight?

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
I see the 2018 race sled got a new headlight/hood. Anyone have any pictures or seen the intake? Sounds like it lighter, maybe we will see it on next years mountain sled? I won't lie, its hideous, looks like its straight off the ZR 200, but hey if its lightweight, that would be good. Cat seems to have the rest of the sled figured out, would be good to see some serious weight cut in 2019 without sacrificing durability- it can be done. Any other places you guys would like to see weight be trimmed next year?
09a2d1aba5f56dedd701e330bd128b8b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
i was wondering the same kinda, but i doubt it will hit the mountain sleds for a few years since they just came out with new hood. a separate nose cone/hood section would be good. also if they centered the motor more that would be a great improvement, the current sleds are unbalanced with a lightweight can alone, add belt drive and you might as well have a powder ski on the left, trail ski on the right.:face-icon-small-ton
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33djqr9XZ68

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
The SX sleds have always had a lighter front intake (think BDX style on the mountain sleds). Word is Cat cut 20lb off the SX sled this year using a lot of the same lightening techniques that Hibbert and Christenson were using on their mod sleds. Garth Kaufman (Tucker's mechanic) was helping out Rob and Dave with building some lightweight mod sleds this year right before Jackson. I got to take a look at one of them and there were holes drilled out in EVERYTHING. There has to be a certain amount of strength left to survive a SX race. How many? Who knows. Might become throw away sleds. Some of those lightening techniques evidently carry over to the mountain platform. I'm cool with a 20lb drop if it can hold up for more than one season.

Stack

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Midwest
Yep, at Haydays they mentioned the headlight was straight off a ZR 200. Funny that I have read all over online that people are going bonkers about the headlight, if the headlight is the biggest issue this should be one mean sled come race day in Duluth. I'm sure some of those weight saving techniques can be applied to future sleds as you mentioned, I like we when see technology and innovation from the race sleds make it into the production lineup.

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
they should put them C&A or some SLP skis on their mountain cat for sure. Snowest mag beat them up on the handling of the 17 "it goes where it wants to", a set of good skis and good shock settings would have changed their tune a bit.

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
It goes where it wants to lol. Personally I think the Cat holds the most straight line of all 3. But those reviews I hardly take with any grain of salt.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
I had C&A BX skis.
Worst thing i have ever done to a sled!
Worst 70 miles i ever put on a Cat.
Sold for less than half what i paid.

Mountain Cat

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
I had C&A BX skis.
Worst thing i have ever done to a sled!
Worst 70 miles i ever put on a Cat.
Sold for less than half what i paid.

Mountain Cat

But they're so ungodly stiff, how could that be???? :face-icon-small-ton

Sled208

Lifetime Membership
Sep 13, 2010
The only reason they even have a headlight on the SX sled is because the rules require it. The pro's are riding the same sleds the juniors are this year. I think the AC engineers were like... Headlight??? WTF!!! OK, We'll put a damn headlight on it :)

They aren't gonna got to full production sleds with that light

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
The only reason they even have a headlight on the SX sled is because the rules require it. The pro's are riding the same sleds the juniors are this year. I think the AC engineers were like... Headlight??? WTF!!! OK, We'll put a damn headlight on it :)

They aren't gonna got to full production sleds with that light
Why the hell wouldn't they? Lighter and smaller is the direction they need to go.

E
Aug 20, 2011
Soo/Menominee MI
Why the hell wouldn't they? Lighter and smaller is the direction they need to go.

Because idk about you but I lived through sealed beam headlights, and the patterns sucked, with the light out put of a scented candle. Where as with the new housings the output is very good,with my only complaint being high/low beam spread on 2012-16 sleds.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Because idk about you but I lived through sealed beam headlights, and the patterns sucked, with the light out put of a scented candle. Where as with the new housings the output is very good,with my only complaint being high/low beam spread on 2012-16 sleds.

Oh, yeah thats right, this is the cat section, bulky and big are good.

Idk about you but I can count how many times I have ridden in the mountains at night on one hand.

A

ak

Dec 7, 2007
Has anyone converted a mountain sled to the race sled hood? Seen a picture of a short track viper.

Premium Features