• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

IQR 600r and 800r fuel, jetting, clutching

B

BC SnoX

Banned
Oct 15, 2016
Miami FL Sunshine and Ladies
IQR 800r help suggestions comments

I started with a lavallee foam pit practice sled that is a 2012 chassis that levi took his 800 mono mod out of and put in a stock 2013 iqr motor back in to sell. So basically its a stock 12 chassis with new 13 motor. It also came with fox evols up front and fox coil overs in the rear.

Sled is now being built into a 136 track
*Van Amberg boondock bumper kit with HD ultra running boards
*Ice Age 136 iqr rails with 2 inner only 8in rear wheels
*Challenger 136x15x2 track
*12.5 gal off clear trail tank

Next Step
Indy Specialty 800 monoblock conversion w/ crank lighten+ long rod+ pump gas set up
Dynoport single+ y pipe

My questions are as follows
What head should i use for low to mid end power above 9000ft on pump gas?
Do i need to make any mapping changes?
Is Dynoport can good, im looking to loose the heavy stock can and cradle but dont like loud sleds, is there a can i should be looking into other than dynoport?
Someone was telling me the long rod is not good and makes less power and to do rk pistons instead. Does the long rod set up rob power? Is there a better fix to keep these motors reliable? Im spending alot of money on this sled cause it is my dream sled and i can finally afford to do it right. Im looking to keep this sled for at least the next 5 years so i dont want anything funky or difficult to rebuild or locate parts.

Any suggestions or help or maybe just want to talk about the iqr and how awsome it is.

Anyone dislike the new 600r, i almost sprung for one but decided to stick with the iqr. I dont like the new steering post angle for jumping. I got a chance to sit on a 2016 mod iqr/axys with the mod stem and did not like the angle for Back Country jumping. I see how it would be nice for Snow Cross and rythm section type jumps or pounding whoops. But for sending big doubles one at a time i like to be up over the bars almost flying through the air with my body. The laid back post wants you in an atack position behind the bars. So i see how its better for racing but i prefer the more straight up and down post and keep the riser at the same angle as the post for a nuatral steering feel.

Another thought i had was ok i like the old steering post but what if i took my 2012 and put the new 600r plastics+ headlight/airbox+ belt guard+ dyno port axys 800r pipe? on and essentially made a 800r but with my preffed old steering post. But then i was thinking that the iqr is special because it doesn't look like anything else except a iqr and the new axys ia just trying to look like a production sled. So i guess it boils down to this. Do i want the only axys 800r 136 freeride in colorado(cause i am essentially building the sled polaris should build to kill the freeride 137) or do i want to keep it classic so in 10 years its not just an old sled but a iqr(the best sled ever built).

Why didn't i just get a freeride 137? Ive always liked the freeride but i just wanted something a little bit more durable. I would have gotten a freeride if i was planning on replacing it in 2017, but i want a sled that can take all the bails+ tummbles+ tree impacts i can throw at it over the next 10 years until im ready for an old man sled. It might not look pretty in a few years but i will feel safe sending it where as the cast bulkheads of other sleds might be a little sketchy after a few years of abuse. I still know a guy happily jumping his 06 mxzx 440/800 that he loves and refuses to let go of and am hoping for similar results with my 800r

Last edited:

omernikski

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2003
Minocqua, WI/ Foxboro, WI
I love the way a longtrack iqr looks. Had to have a short track too. Dynoport port pipes make good power. If you don't like to make noise then stay away from the big core barker. That thing will wake people up in the next county.

Attachments

• IMG_0059.jpg
    IMG_0059.jpg
    188.9 KB · Views: 286
  • IMG_0058.jpg
    IMG_0058.jpg
    258.4 KB · Views: 345
Last edited:
M
Feb 21, 2016
Bend, Oregon
Go with B&M boards, the VEI are wide/bulky, flexy, don't provide that good of traction or snow evacuation. I have both, my last set VEI will be getting replaced with B&M.

Even with a ICE Age rails the stock skid compenents are super stout and heavy. You might be better off with a RMK136" skid with bomber rails if your concerned with backcountry performance. But for if your only concerned with jumping Ice Age 136" rail and stock components will work great. I would revalve the shocks unless you don't mind a trencher.

Have you seen the 12.5gal? it's hideous and for XC racing. My 800 conversions have the 10.5gal and it's pplenty of fuel and MUCH better looking. even the 8.8 is enough for most days.

As far as FIX kits, I don't agree with them, adding a shim between the case and cylinders is a just a bandaid, ghetto to me. If you want to make power and have reliability get the RK Tek Drop in kit, no shim, makes good power and I think it will do what your looking for. He offers a few different, from just pistons and goes up from there in cost and performance.

The new motors, especially when adding 800mono to the 600r is a great motor and reliable.

No mention of what your doing with the front end? Keeping it stock?

Last edited:
B

BC SnoX

Banned
Oct 15, 2016
Van Amberg double walled my runners with a thicker inner diameter peice. I dont know exactly what they doing but i tried to get it built as heavy duty as possible with my knowledge. I already got all the parts. I will post some pics when its back from vohk. The tank is bulky but im kind of a dork and dont mind a little ugliness for a bit more fuel. Its gona be nice looking with the fox floats and mystic graphics on it already. Then i did black tunnel extension and runners+ red rails+ off clear tank. I opted to keep bars and everything else as stock as possible. I like the whole mod stock theme. Im hoping all the cool colors and graphics will help offset the big bulky tank. It also has levis low cut stomp grip seat on it as well.
Is picture above of a someones team Lavelle sled. I almost bought a racer that looked like that from them that was a pallin sled but had the red rails like the one above. I chose pay alot more and get an older but basically brand-new sled. I wanted to start with the best chassis i could without buying a new one.

M
Feb 21, 2016
Bend, Oregon
Not wanting to knock your decision but if you look at some Pro mod IQR's(martin) you'll see they have a reinforcecment "hoop" at the front of the boards like the B&M boards, without that the boards will not be stout enough for long term jumping and abuse. It's a design flaw. The VEI boards are also very wide and get hung-up sidehilling. Their design is dated, not really what is desired anymore. Not that is bad stuff just riding styles have change since the VEI kit came out and the kit hasn't, and I'd know since I have it on two IQR's, a 144" and 150".

Is VOHK building it for you?

I'd recommend ditching the crossover coolant tube while you have it tore down. I regret keeping mine on one of them, its really easy to have someone cut and weld in hunk of aluminum tube or piece of iqr cooler between the two coolers at the rear.

B

BC SnoX

Banned
Oct 15, 2016
Vohk is doing the cooler mod. Thank you for giving me some feedback. I will get some pictures of sled up asap. Are you talking about the VE ultra boards or there older plate aluminum runners?

B

BC SnoX

Banned
Oct 15, 2016
B&M boards are sweet i just checked them out. I see what you mean about the hoop. That is def a weak spot on the iqr and now i regret not going with a cheaper extension and those boards but i guess thats how she goes. They look super tough, i might have to switch to them down the road, but unfortunately im out of money at the moment.
Vohk and Felker are the only two shops i would trust with any sort of build. Vohk pumps out turbos and told me they rarely do iqr builds anymore but they where excited to work on a 136 project. I think alot of the guys there whish they could have a spring sled like mine so they had intrest in it but unfortunately when a new turbo sled is on the budget every year im sure its tough to justify 2 sleds
I wish i could do the work but the tunnel work seemed a bit much and not the one to learn on

M
Feb 21, 2016
Bend, Oregon
If you go on the van amburg website and look at the iqr boondocker kit that is the boards i'm talking about. That is my sled pictured, I pulled there boards off and replaced them with B&M.

Everyone thinks they have to have a long track, I just don't get it, they aren't fun to ride when compaired to something 136"-150" but they do take less skill to boondock so I get that, it's like riding 450 mx bike, you can be lazy and still rip. My IQR's are all 800s, 144x2.5", 150"x2.5" and 155"x2.5". Hands down the 144 is the most fun and will go anywhere I can go on the 155 which is many places squids on 162/163" dream of. We only get 400" of snow we don't get tons of DEEP days, if I had to only have one it'd be the 144", hands down. Might even pick it over my BD race gas pro 155".

B

BC SnoX

Banned
Oct 15, 2016
Mr iqr
Im so pumped, i talked Van Amburg into adding a front hoop to the boards. I believe your boards where there regular sheet metal boards. The ultra boards are a tube design like the b&m boards. I still think the burly boards are probably tougher but at least my VE ultas will be on the right track. They also used a thicker peice of tubbing on the inside to keep the boards from Boeing out.
I cant wait until it is done.
Next step is the 800 mono, but i cant afford it right now. Gona ride it as a 600 this year and burn up all my old left over oil from years past. Then im gona start fresh with a different oil. Is amasoil dominator good. I run interceptor now, but am thinking dominator is better for 600/800r.
Ya 144 is perfect. Im thinking of doing a second iqr down the raod with an easy ride 144 skid and a deeper lug maybe 2.5in track. The 136 im building now still using stock skid with new rails so it still gona trench and be heavy. I did it really just to be able to get out of those cant get stuck here situations. So im thinking having a 144 set up for powder would be cool cause then id have a spring sled and a powder sled both around the same length but one will be detter in powder and one will be better at pounding whoops and hard landings.
It definitely cool to have a long and short sled but my preference would be similar leghths but different set ups. Id like the front ends to stay the same but having a light floaty skid in one would be cool for days when it is deep. I would do the same motor in them and same tunnel set up but 144 and maybe relocated skid location for better atack angle so it does not trench. Also slightly different clutching cause the 136 id want to feel like a snocrosser and the other a little mellower but still low to mid range power focused, just maybe not as abrupt a hit of the bottom.

Last edited:
M
Feb 21, 2016
Bend, Oregon
That is awesome they did that for you. Be sure to post photos, sounds sweet.

Also if your on Facebook join the Polaris iqr owners group, lots of good info, parts and others with a passion for the iqr.

Premium Features