• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

ABOM fog free goggles

bhoth

Lifetime Membership
Jan 26, 2010
South Jordan, UT
Hey just bringing this back to the top. Any other reviews or comments on the Abom?

I also would love to see a these verses the new Oakleys!

Cinno

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Stillwater,Mn
Fit to helmet

Went to my local ski shop with my FXR helmet to try on ABOM and new Oakley Prizm goggles. Both goggles fit OK on the top and bottom but left a gap on the sides. Maybe 3/4 inch.

The goggle I prefer to use with this helmet is Castle. They have a foam extension on the side of the goggle to seal out the wind. 509 goggles just barely seal that area and Klim goggles leave a gap. I have a Skidoo and HJC helmet that fit similar to the FXR.

So my conclusion is if you currently use KLIM goggles and are OK with the fit, you most likely will be ok with the fit of either the Atom or Oakley goggles. I guess I might get a pair for off trail use when the speeds are down and I'm breathing hard. Switch out to the better sealed goggles for the trail ride home.

Cinno

W
Jan 7, 2008
Purchased the Oakley Inferno. I have used them once and I am very impressed. If goggles start to fog or ice up, you just push a button on the strap and within a minute they are clear. The cycle runs for two or three minutes, they say you have 30 cycles on a charged battery.

Geolvich

Lifetime Membership
Dec 29, 2016
I have 4 full days of riding with them in Temps from -20 to 30F, elevation from 7k-10k in the same day. As long as it is powered on it will not fog. If it fogs you can tap the power button once and it will stay on for 10min and then shut off, or hold the power button for a few sec and it will stay on all the time. There is a small led light that you can see out of the corner of your eye while riding that let's you know what mode it is in. The Zeiss lens has great clarity, you can get different colored lens as well. I have the light smoke tinted lens.

f15864c2f474c492532c2c0e07129732.jpg

what size is your 509 helmet? Im wearing a size Large altitude, ABOM said there was fitment issues below size XL for 509 helmets, Thanks!

Last edited:

RMK-King

Super-Moderator
Dec 25, 2007
North Dakota
I believe mine is a large, they don't seal against your face quite as tight as the 509 goggles do. But it hasn't caused me any negative effects, this is my 2nd year using the ABOMs and they are still working great. Hopefully they will design snowmobile specific googles in the future instead of just marketing the product just towards skiers, its a great technology with a lot of potential for growth.

Last edited:

Geolvich

Lifetime Membership
Dec 29, 2016
thanks for the info! im torn if i can put up with an air gap on the sides between face and goggle worried about powder finding its way in on deep days (and wind when you get caught in some -30 windchill)

bhoth

Lifetime Membership
Jan 26, 2010
South Jordan, UT
thanks for the info! im torn if i can put up with an air gap on the sides between face and goggle worried about powder finding its way in on deep days (and wind when you get caught in some -30 windchill)

I see this as a non issue if you wear a balaclava. I have never worn a pair of goggles that did not have some kind of gap. But I always make sure the goggles fit over the balaclava and have no issues other than getting to warm during the deep powder sessions.

Brish

Lifetime Membership
Sep 24, 2014
I just purchased these and they are the best goggle I have used. I was always fogging up a mile down the trail with multiple different brands. I have the Klim F3 and the fit is good I didn't feel wind on the sides or top and snow never packed in the sides. Being able to see all day is real nice and allows you to concentrate on riding.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
They are good and I usually left them on all day. The second day I took them off once or twice and it was like they got moisture between the lenses and there was a spot they wouldn't unfog.

L

logan1080

Feb 12, 2013
btt. I'm considering the Oakley line miner inferno goggles or the Abom goggle. The only thing that has me considering the Oakley is the hi-pink prizm lense. My current goggles are useless at bringing out contrast on overcast days on the mountains so that lense is very appealing. Has anyone used both to compare? Thanks.

bhoth

Lifetime Membership
Jan 26, 2010
South Jordan, UT
I like them but they are big and they don't fit my helmet perfectly. I have talked to them about this and they are working on a new model that will be smaller for the snowmobile crowd.

They said they hope to have the new model out by winter 2017.

black z

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2014
MN
I like them but they are big and they don't fit my helmet perfectly. I have talked to them about this and they are working on a new model that will be smaller for the snowmobile crowd.

They said they hope to have the new model out by winter 2017.

ABOM or Oakley?

S

Sledcrazy2014

Apr 2, 2013
Mitchell SD
Guys I have a few pairs of these abom goggles left from 2016 season
Hit me up if you want a pair
they are on clearance right now

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

R

rkaminky

Oct 8, 2009
Denver
Abom HEET

I rode yesterday with the Abom HEET goggles, smaller frame than the Abom ONE. It was a windy, cold, snowy day. Probably a worst case day for fogging issues. Overall, I was impressed with the low light visibility with the Resolution Red lense. At times visibility was very limited, less than 20 feet with blowing snow. The Aboms would still fog with heavy breathing and increased activity. I would then press the button for a 7 minute "heat on demand" de fogging. It worked very well.

With the blowing snow, ice buildup on the outside of any goggle will create problems. The Aboms still experienced ice build up. When the ice started to affect my vision, I would stop and wipe the outside off carefully with the microfiber and then immediately turn the heat on. After a couple minutes, the lense was warm and dry and ready to go. With other goggles, I always battled fogging after trying to wipe the lense and also struggled to keep them from icing up again within minutes.

The only issue I experienced was the fit to the 509 breath box in my altitude helmet. Since the HEET is slimmer than the ONE or a 509 goggle, there was a small gap below the goggle and above the breath box on each side of my nose. In the blowing snow conditions ice would build up there and then melt on my face. Didn't happen a lot but definitely created more fogging problems. These problems were easily solved by the on demand heat.

As far as battery life goes, the goggles lasted for 6 hours of aggressive riding. I only used them on demand. I think the gap in between the goggle and breathbox was the main culprit for the fogging I experienced, requiring more on demand use. I think once I solve that gap problem, these should work all day in the worst conditions.

Overall, I was impressed.

T
Apr 11, 2018
SE WI
As far as fitment goes I have the Abom Heets and they fit like a glove in my XL FXR cold cross helmet. They seal nicely on my face and and fit perfectly inside the helmet with no gaps.
I picked them up at an end of season close out and haven't rode with them yet, but I'm really looking forward to using them next winter.

Premium Features