• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Jack shaft sheared off behind chain case?

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
Hey guys, I got a 2012 pro rmk with about 900k km on it. And today during my ride, luckily on the way home, the shaft sheared off! I was cruising, then stopped then started moving and after 30 feet into my light acceleration it rev'd up and went nowhere, I heard a grinding noise... And let it idle, popped open my side panel to see the issue. Wtf! Any reasons why it broke? Did polaris of that year/s have a design flaw? Went too light? I don't know of other sleds having such a issue. Thanks!

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
Shaft Observations

Just some observations from shafts I've collected for my builds.
The pre-'13 shafts are as turned (can see the tooling lines).
The '13 to current shafts are ground after turning (very smooth).

The other difference is the pre-'13 shafts when turned used a 0R tooling (square / sharp corner; which leads to the problem you experienced, fatigue or stress fracturing at the root of the shoulder).
The '13 to present use at least a 2R radius on the tooling which is 1/32" R. While it may not seem like much of a difference, it makes a huge difference in how the stresses are distributed thru the shaft.

P.S. PM me, I still have a few of the chain case style shafts I'd like to part with.

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
Just some observations from shafts I've collected for my builds.
The pre-'13 shafts are as turned (can see the tooling lines).
The '13 to current shafts are ground after turning (very smooth).

The other difference is the pre-'13 shafts when turned used a 0R tooling (square / sharp corner; which leads to the problem you experienced, fatigue or stress fracturing at the root of the shoulder).
The '13 to present use at least a 2R radius on the tooling which is 1/32" R. While it may not seem like much of a difference, it makes a huge difference in how the stresses are distributed thru the shaft.

P.S. PM me, I still have a few of the chain case style shafts I'd like to part with.
\
much appreciate the info!, I got a shaft in my hands now, I talked to a local machine shop, he figures just polishing the shaft would give the same result as the 2r? If I spin the shaft up on a lathe or something and use some fine emery cloth to kinda smoothen down the ridges It should do the trick? Thanks!

Premium Features