• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

not impressed with the 2017 so far.

J
Oct 15, 2013
Breckenridge, CO
So many expert opinions on a sled that has only been seen on paper or a website by 99% of people...

Poo killer? Cat killer? Come on let's be serious and put down the cool-aid for a second and wait till people that aren't paid spokesman get to ride this thing. And even if this sled is actually the next coming of Jesus it doesn't mean squat if you can't ride and tap into the potential. Skilled riding has so much more to do with how a sled performs than any spec sheet.

J
Oct 15, 2013
Breckenridge, CO
Not quite.
All of the sled magazines had access to them in January.
Get ready for a DELUGE of positive articles.

Take no offense to this Christopher as I think you've done a great job with coverage of this, but...

Sled magazine/website articles are hardly reliable and credible generally speaking, and that goes for any industry and its publications. Advertising dollars talk and magazines will not risk biting the hand that feeds them, especially a major corporation with huge budgets to spend on advertising.

Whe.n demos start happening and the general population starts ride them the it's time to start listening a little more.

eddy

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 8, 2001
Sammamish WA
850 Engine

Please note that the stroke on the new 850 is stated in the specs as 82mm (vs 75mm for the current 800). That is significant! Some will tell you stroke makes more difference in torque output than bore.

As stated above the design engineers targeted 155 hp in the 800 etec. That is close to the 800 ptek and is what they were looking for. The 800 etec was designed for run quality and reliability, not more power than the ptek. The 163.9 figure was Rich Daly at Dyno Tech - on one day on one dyno. Risky comparison with any other dyno as you all know the drill on dyno to dyno results - they are all different.

Now if you think Trygstad (or Big John) can not take that 82mm stroke engine and with a Big bore (and a port job that flows more) and not make way more power - you are on a different wave. Unless the Rotax guys have been sleeping for 4 years - this engine will prove out.

edgey

Premium Member
Jul 9, 2001
Yea I believe what gets wrote in the mags!!! There opinion has nothing to do with who spends the most with there magazine.

M
Nov 27, 2007
manitoba, Canada
as far as the looks, I think its ugly. But that's personal opinion. Looks like a retarded frog. All they needed to do was put it in that scours green the freeride has had for color in the past. You all know what talking about

I give them credit for upping the anti again. Pushes things forward for everyone. I don't know that the hype is all that deserved. New motors come and go. I see room for improvement but that's marketing and sales. You don't release your end game plan day one, if your product will sell leave room to drop improovements year by year

That way the peons in jacked up dually trucks can buy a new one every year. Throw in some hideous colors so they have to buy a new suit each time so they can look like radio active snowmen and call it a day

Last edited:

sledhead9825

Lifetime Membership
Nov 4, 2013
At this time I am a Poo guy, and have to say I am very impressed with the new Doo. As far as Noronas comment that the 16 800 174 won't go as high as the 850 165 even when poaching!!! This is when I start to lose confidence in what we are being told about the 850...

tdblakes

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2010
I think these are positive moves for skidoo and remind me of the Axys changes over the Pro... Taller, skinnier, more power, new tracks, weight loss, higher boards, shorter tunnel sides, etc...

The look will grow on ppl.

I would imagine that these changes would make this new unit a step above the previous XM generation (similar to how the Axys is above the Pro). We'll just have to wait and see some normal consumer reports from demo rides to see how they stack up against the competition.

I was surprised to see that the torsion spring rear suspension is still being used... I guess I expected something a bit more advanced in that department, but thats minor.

F
Feb 18, 2009
Saint Cloud, MN
Why is skidoo still sticking to the lay down steering for their mountain sleds? If they paid attention, all of their backcountry riders tried to get their XM's to a more vertical position.

F
Nov 27, 2007
medicine hat
This is the biggest reason I cannot get use to a poo.. After two minutes I am handing it back.. There staring locks your arms in a way your body is used against you.. I feel they would sell way more sleds if they had a conversion kit to doo style

I rode Polaris for years and fought pain in the tendons in my elbows towards the end of every season. This year on a Doo I have yet to have any issues with my elbows. Is that because of the difference in the steering? Maybe. Maybe not. I think it is though so I am a convert. I thought I would hate it! Was ready to put the $ down a relocation kit but decided to ride as is and have over 500 miles on the stock setup. Guess I am used to it now and I actually like it.

brandon227

Lifetime Membership
Nov 3, 2010
North East Wyoming
Wow we are all a fickle bunch around here. Doo gave us a step forward and what most of us where asking for and we are not Happy. Come on people. Motor looks great on paper. Chassis looks great on paper and that is what we needed. Looks, well like people said that is personal opinion. To me it looks like a rev bottom 2/3 with an XM top 1/3. I like the looks. I really hope that Doo does some demo rides so we can make real world opinions.
My major gripe is that I want the Blue from the Freeride available on this.

rulonjj

Lifetime Membership
Apr 15, 2008
capitol town, WY
At this time I am a Poo guy, and have to say I am very impressed with the new Doo. As far as Noronas comment that the 16 800 174 won't go as high as the 850 165 even when poaching!!! This is when I start to lose confidence in what we are being told about the 850...

In the right snow conditions the 163 will out climb the 174. Lynn Felker himself told me that. It's all about track speed. And poaching a track was one of the conditions he said it would do it.

F
Nov 27, 2007
medicine hat
Biggest drawback on the 174 models was the lack of hp to turn the big track.. Was easily seen and heard when riding it listening to track speed changes within the climb..

Once we threw the turbo on track speed would jump from 47-48mph to 65 and it became a beast in all conditions..

Probably why the 850 with smaller track is beating it.. Just that much more hp to spin the track that much faster..

I

i'llDooit

Nov 27, 2007
Duvall washington
I think it looks great. BLACK on BLACK please. U lazy fat keyboard highmarkers can complain all you want. This thing is gonna chew up kitty's to make POO. Can't wait... Well done Doo.

rulonjj

Lifetime Membership
Apr 15, 2008
capitol town, WY
Biggest drawback on the 174 models was the lack of hp to turn the big track.. Was easily seen and heard when riding it listening to track speed changes within the climb..

Once we threw the turbo on track speed would jump from 47-48mph to 65 and it became a beast in all conditions..

Probably why the 850 with smaller track is beating it.. Just that much more hp to spin the track that much faster..

That's another thing Lynn said. Put a turbo on both and the 63 was toast.

XFIRE800

Lifetime Membership
Feb 22, 2009
Aberdeen, SD
My water is too wet.

Doo was already the king of "big mountain riding" (canada). They solidified their position there and made a sled that is better suited for our riding style in the U.S. as well.

H

HANDSOME

Nov 28, 2007
Pouce Coupe
If you cant ride an xm, then you should not be on a sled. The handling is great and so is the steering. I have rode them all and owned all brands. I have done comparisons and for my kind of riding ski doo was best for me. The free ride and 174 will come, its part of marketing.

Premium Features