• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

DRAGON FUEL FILTERS ON THE PRO-RMK... THOUGHTS AND PART #'s

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)
S
Dec 11, 2007
Weed, California
SAFETY NOTE from MH:

The fuel in the CFI-2 system is under pressure. If you are not familiar with fuel injection plumbing systems, the proper hose and clamps to use, leak testing and fitting assembly... do not undertake modifying your fuel system. If a hose leaks or detaches you will have fuel spraying under your hood at pressure creating a potentially explosive situation. Put it simply.. if you do not have the necessary experience with the system... find someone that does or use only factory parts. The system is simple... but there is no room for error with gasoline.

Phil seems to have that necessary experience which shows in his choice of materials.
Go to High Performance Engineering. Products, fuel line parts, filter with one fitting for $24.95. Buy a piece of hose and cut off fitting on old filter that goes into fuel rail, clamp it. You will have less that $28.00 invested. Solution solved.
The Spudman:face-icon-small-hap

Last edited by a moderator:

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Spud...Great Idea

With the price on the PRO RMK filters so high...I don't think it will be too long before the SPI-group offers one for our sleds.

The SPI fuel filter with the black hose and quick disconnect for the 2008-2010 Dragon IS the one to use... NOT the filter for the 2005/06 900's with the blue hose.

They have different sizes on the fuel pump end... The 2008-10 one has a longer hose which is nice AND it has a 5/16" QD to mate with the PRO PFA (pump/flange assembly)

As far as I can tell... then pro/dragon filters themselves inside are the same externally... which doesn't mean squat for the inside necessarily ... I'm going to cut one open to see since you brought up this idea in a couple of weeks just to check... all filters are not necessarily the same. EDIT: They appear to be the same internally.

If you add the proper hose and a quick disconnect to the fuel rail fitting....It will make future filter changes a snap and safer as well.

DO NOT clamp a hose to the outlet of the filter.... the system is under pressure and there is no barb or bead on the tube to prevent a hose that is clamped to the outlet nipple of the filter from blowing off. This is the reason to use the QD as it has a positive locking device designed for the system.

Use the right clamps like Phil shows above and hose made for fuel injection.

Dorman makes the QD ends for the hose... and theirs do not require a tool.

3/8" size - http://www.summitracing.com/parts/rnb-800-121
rnb-800-121_ko_m.jpg

Phil has the perfect lead on the correct hose to use... it is SUPER important to us the good barrier hose (about $4-$6 per foot) with or gas today.... if you don't... you run a good chance of springing a leak and gumming up your injectors.

www.hi-perf.com

Fuel Filter / Hose Assembly
# 241200
POLARIS MODELS
Most 600, 700, 800 Models 2008-10
Polaris #2520771

241200.jpg

Last edited:
R
Dec 3, 2001
CO
Hi Perf link
Scroll down to bottom.

Yeah, which one?
Ref: 241-206
2005-2006 700 and 900s

or

Ref: 241200
2008-2010 6, 7, 800s

Great find if this is a true replacement for the Pro 800s. It looks like you could just use the stock hose (from filter nipple to fuel rail connection) with a clamp??

Last edited:

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
Do not clamp hose to the filter outlet!!

Hi Perf link
Scroll down to bottom.

Yeah, which one?

2005-2006 700 and 900s
or
2008-2010 6, 7, 800s

Great find if this is a true replacement for the Pro 800s.

It looks like you could just use the stock hose (from filter nipple to fuel rail connection) with a clamp??

Use the one from the 2008-10 (Ref: 241-206) IMO.

DO NOT simply clamp a line to the outlet nipple on the fuel filter... the system is under pressure and there is no barb or bead on the tube to prevent a hose that is clamped to the outlet nipple of the filter from blowing off. This is the reason to use the QD as it has a positive locking device designed for the system.

Last edited:

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
tools for removing the fuel lines

Just a heads up on tools you might need.

from a previous post

mountainhorse: Any auto supply store has the tool you need for disconnecting...The best ones are the cheap plastic ones that come in a set. I think they are like $7

This pic shows the set that is easy to use ...because the hose is so tight to the tank outlet. These plastic ones seem to fit much better than the "plyers type" .. Lisle tools makes a good set as does KD tools.
37000L.jpg

37000in.gif

=======================
If you can find them, the best set is the Lisle angle set.. makes it easy to get into the tight space.

39400c.jpg

http://www.sjdiscounttools.com/lis39400.html

======================================

The plastic ones are MUCH easier to use than this "plyers" type
DONT get this kind.
61059.jpg

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
SAFETY NOTE from MH:

The fuel in the CFI-2 system is under pressure. If you are not familiar with fuel injection plumbing systems, the proper hose and clamps to use, leak testing and fitting assembly... do not undertake modifying your fuel system. If a hose leaks or detaches you will have fuel spraying under your hood at pressure creating a potentially explosive situation. Put it simply.. if you do not have the necessary experience with the system... find someone that does or use only factory parts. The system is simple... but there is no room for error with gasoline.

Phil seems to have that necessary experience which shows in his choice of materials.

philsummers21

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Big Horns, Wyoming
Im a mechanic and cant stress the previous statement by MH. Improper clamps or hoses can cause leaks and lead to a burnt down sled. You can use the part numbers i listed above with any filter you choose. Just make sure its a 3/8 hose barb on both sides. the 3/8 hose fits nicely on the stock fittings even tho the stock fuel line is 5/16.

R
Dec 3, 2001
CO
So just to follow up and confirm.

The "900" fuel filter from Hi-Perf would be the simplest and most cost effective option to take?
1. add some new fuel line from filter to fuel rail
2. remove the QD from the stock fuel line and install into new hose
3. install 2 new clamps (1 at the fuel filter, 1 on the QD)

$11.78 - 2' 3/8" fuel injection hose (NAPA) LINK
$2.98 - two 3/8" fuel injection hose clamps (NAPA) LINK
$20.95 - Hi-Perf fuel filter (for 900 RMK, includes hose and QD to fuel tank) LINK (scroll down the page near bottom)
$35.71 sub total before tax/shipping

Here is another 3/8" 10 micron filter on Jegs (LINK) for $17.

However, I think the filter/hose from Hi-Perf would be a little simpler, not having to salvage both QD from the stock hose...and requires less fuel line/cost.

If this looks right, I'll get some stuff ordered. Thanks.

Last edited:

philsummers21

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Big Horns, Wyoming
Fuel injection clamps are not worm clamps. very reliable and provide equal pressure among the whole clamp, Reusable, no special crimping tool, wont damage the hose.
Oetiker clamps are fine if you have the tool to crimp them. Either one will work.

R
Dec 3, 2001
CO
So, how did you remove the brass fitting from the fuel rail?
Is it threaded? I can't really tell in your pics.
I have my sled tore apart, disconnected the QD from the fuel pump..
Just can't get the brass fitting out of the fuel rail.

EDIT: OK, so the brass fitting just pulls out, it just has a couple o-rings that make it a snug fit. Pry n pull and it pops out.

Also, the QD on the 900 fuel filter from HPE is 3/8"... The fuel pump is a 5/16" fitting. Not sure if its safe to use the 3/8" QD on a 5/16" fitting...but I plan to cut the stock 5/16" QD off and also cut the 3/8" QD off the new HPE filter/hose.

Ugh, honestly would have been easier to just build my own than try to utilize the HPE filter/hose/QD it looks like.

Maybe the HPE fuel filter for the 800s w/ the 5/16" QD is the better option here... I think it would fit better (hose length wise) as well.

Last edited:

philsummers21

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Big Horns, Wyoming
The 3/8 hose i use fits the stock fittings fine. Honestly i think the 5/16 would be a bugger to get on. Unsure about the filter you used so cant help much there.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
Rotax,

The fuel-rail side of the filter is 3/8" hose.

The tank side of the filter is 5/16" hose.

I believe that Phil re-used the 5/16" QD fitting from his stock filter for the 5/16" output nipple on the PFA assembly.

A 3/8" QD will not fit/seal to a 5/16" nipple.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast

First off, a big thanks and Recognition to Philsummers for bringing this topic up.

Rotax... It seems that the 2008-2010 RMK filter (below) would be a better choice for filters with hoses. It has the 5/16" female QD on the fuel tank end and a 3/8" male QD on the filter

DO NOT simply clamp a line to the outlet nipple on the fuel filter... the system is under pressure and there is no barb or bead on the tube to prevent a hose that is clamped to the outlet nipple of the filter from blowing off. This is the reason to use the QD as it has a positive locking device designed for the system.

www.hi-perf.com
Fuel Filter / Hose Assembly
# 241200
POLARIS MODELS
Most 600, 700, 800 Models 2008-10
Polaris #2520771

241200.jpg
They were designed to be used at the same pressures as the DC-CFI-2 fuel injection on the 2011-2013 RMK's and connect to the same Walbro PFA assembly on the Dragons that is used on the PRO chassis.

IMO... if you were to use the hose and clamps that Phil is suggesting from the brass fuel rail fitting... at a length that gets it up and out of the way of other things and within reach of the "Dragon" filter ... and connect this QD to the hose using the clamps that Phil suggests.

This way... you will have an "off the shelf", affordable, easy to change fuel filter element designed for the CFI system and a way to connect it and quickly change it.

Again... If your sled is still within warranty, this "mod" will probably void the warranty on your fuel system and possibly the motor...at least it will get you into a battle to prove that it did not cause a problem if one were to arise. Although it is a filter designed to be used on a 4-bar CFI system... it is NOT a Polaris part and you are modifying your own system at your own risk.

Last edited:
R
Dec 3, 2001
CO
Thanks guys. I will only be using the fuel filter from the HPE kit.
I had to cut out the hose to use proper, clampable fuel injection hose.

In hindsight, I'd either go w/ the other Dragon HPE filter kit; or simply 'build your own' at a parts store.

The 900 HPE kit hose is way too short and puts the filter in a very ackward location.
2 feet of hose should work if you want to keep it at stock location.

Great info guys! Thanks again.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
Rotax,

Yea... the 2008 -10 filter is the way to go... It has the proper sized connector and a longer hose to start with.

Please post up a photo of your filter and connections.

Q: On the outlet side of your filter...how did you connect that to hose going to the fuel rail?

Last edited:

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
I'm hoping that NapaMatt can chime in with per-foot info (price/Napa #) on this Gates 27336/27349/27341 (2ft blister-pack, 15ft bulk, 25ft bluk) F.I. hose from NAPA and the correct sized Oetiker and screw-clamps for this hose.

Also... are the 3/8" METAL QD's above available through NAPA? (Dorman #800-121)
:face-icon-small-hap

BarricadeBanner.jpg

Today there are more than 40 different EPA-approved fuel blends used in the U.S. – formulations made from sources as diverse as soybeans, coconuts, corn, and used cooking oil. These blends all have a negative effect on automotive and small engine fuel systems.

These new fuel blends aggressively degrade general-purpose fuel hose, causing it to deteriorate. Plus, general-purpose fuel hose allows more hydrocarbons to be released into the atmosphere. Degraded hose particles can contaminate and obstruct fuel injectors, which can affect fuel system monitoring sensors and decrease engine efficiency.

That’s why Gates developed Barricade Fuel Line Hose – it withstands today’s aggressive fuel blends and significantly reduces permeation utilizing our patent-pending GreenShield® barrier layer technology and inner tube made of synthetic rubber compounds.

Last edited:
Premium Features