• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2013 Drive Shaft Poll

2013 Drive Shaft Failed/Not Failed Poll

• Over 50 Miles, No Problems

Votes: 143 31.4%
  • Under 50 Miles, No Problems

Votes: 52 11.4%
  • Over 50 Miles with Fix

Votes: 10 2.2%
  • Under 50 Miles with Fix

Votes: 3 0.7%
  • Blew with less than 50 Miles

Votes: 36 7.9%
  • Blew with more than 50 Miles

Votes: 15 3.3%
  • Have no ridden yet

Votes: 198 43.4%

• Total voters

whoisthatguy

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2007
Just found out that Polaris had a problem with the glue mixture that was used on some sleds when they put the drive shafts together
You can flip your sled on its side and looking at the drive shaft there is a small weep hole on both sides --there is a small amount of excess gray glue --if the glue is hard you are good to go --if the glue is soft you have a problem

Polaris keeps grasping at straws here. What was it last week? Forklifts used by the dealers? What will it be next week? Most riders with failed driveshafts, do not appear to be checking the hardness of the glue mixture. Skibreeze reports that he witnessed a driveshaft failure where the glue mixture was HARD. Post #180 on this page:
http://www.snowestonline.com/forum/showthread.php?p=3200378#post3200378

One person relayed his suspicious conversation with his dealer and the dealer appeared to be programmed to instruct the frustrated owner to put in a steel driveshaft, without himself admitting that the 3 piece bonded driveshaft has any defects whatsover. I doubt whether Polaris wants to get into a class action lawsuit, so their attorneys are likely recommending that they not admit that there is anything wrong with the driveshafts. Attorneys are running the show now. Polaris is just sitting on their hands, hoping for the problem to become less of an issue once the season gets underway and perhaps some initially defective driveshafts get weeded out, or some other defective part takes the spotlight. If it was a suitable design with sloppy quality control in the assembly, then the problem may go away. But if it was a poor design with even poorer quality control, it won't go away. It will get worse. Had Polaris tested these last spring, they would already know the answer to that question.

adam5187

Lifetime Membership
Nov 14, 2009
Has anyone blown up a drive shaft with the collars on them

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

deschutes

Lifetime Membership
Jan 22, 2008
I call BS on this poll. I think that Christopher can see who voted how. It would be interesting to see who has voted, and if they actually own a 2013 Pro. I'll ask him if he has the info and would be willing to release it. Statistically it is completely irrelevant as well, as those that have had an issue are 10 times more likely to actually vote. Additionally, those that experienced issues are also much more likely to be on Snowest looking for answers or coming here to share their experience in the first place.

If you called 1000 random 2013 owners, my guess is you would find that less than 1% have experienced the issue. Even 1% would be 10 people out of that random 1000, which would be pretty doubtful.

From now on, if you indicate that you have blown a drive shaft, you have to post who you are in this thread. If you don't post here, it didn't happen.

Last edited:
R

rmscustom

Jun 8, 2010
I call BS on this poll. I think that Christopher can see who voted how. It would be interesting to see who has voted, and if they actually own a 2013 Pro. I'll ask him if he has the info and would be willing to release it. Statistically it is completely irrelevant as well, as those that have had an issue are 10 times more likely to actually vote. Additionally, those that experienced issues are also much more likely to be on Snowest looking for answers or coming here to share their experience in the first place.

If you called 1000 random 2013 owners, my guess is you would find that less than 1% have experienced the issue. Even 1% would be 10 people out of that random 1000, which would be pretty doubtful.

From now on, if you indicate that you have blown a drive shaft, you have to post who you are in this thread. If you don't post here, it didn't happen.

There is 8 that have failed at one dealer. So by your numbers they have sold 800 pros this year that have all been on the snow. Get your head out of the sand.

deschutes

Lifetime Membership
Jan 22, 2008
There is 8 that have failed at one dealer. So by your numbers they have sold 800 pros this year that have all been on the snow. Get your head out of the sand.

I didn't say that. I said 1000 random owners - whether they have been on the snow or not. Get the sand out of your eyes. Nor was I indicating that there isn't a possible issue - just questioning the validity of an anonymous online poll.

Which dealer has 8 back with blown drive shafts? That is some pretty serious numbers.

Last edited:
R

rmscustom

Jun 8, 2010
The dealer wasn't named but it came from a very reputable member on here. If the sled hasn't been on the snow it can't be counted.

I do agree that this poll should not be anonymous

deschutes

Lifetime Membership
Jan 22, 2008
The dealer wasn't named but it came from a very reputable member on here.

Right, this is the problem. A fair amount of these posts are from someone who knows someone, or has it on good authority, etc. Again, not saying there isn't an issue - as there is clearly something going on - just hate the way these things progress on here, making it impossible to gauge the scope of the issue.

Don't repeat information that you can't personally verify or validate.

Last edited:

cb2honk

Lifetime Membership
Jan 19, 2009
Western iowa
18.9% And I would say this is probably +/- 1.5% because we know that there are trolls on here. Either way that is a high failure rate so far.

deschutes

Lifetime Membership
Jan 22, 2008
If you want only the facts posted you should do the same.

I said "my guess", being very clear that this was a made up number for demonstration purposes. You said explicitly "There is 8 that have failed at one dealer", later admitting that you heard it from a reputable online source - still not disclosing who this dealer or source is. Huge difference my friend.

P

PowderMiner

Feb 6, 2008
Snohomish-Plain, Washington
Also 25 sleds with less than 50... probably road riding still at 1/2 throttle and being careful.

I am die hard Polaris guy a little sick to my stomach about taking $12k into the backcountry. Helicopters are expensive.

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
I heard from a birdie that Poo took a bunch and tested them and had a 20% failure rate.
I have persoanlly heard of a few and know very few people even riding yet.
Lets face it, they F'ed up big time on this one. Now just make it right!

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont

Lmfao. Conspiracy theory.
What would there be to gain by anyone manipulating the poll results? You think Christopher had something to do with poll results?

If you want, I can close this poll and start a new one with public results just for you. But who is to say that everyone will revote and vote the same way?

Let it ride. It's just some poll on the internet that somebody made.

skibreeze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2005
Colorado Springs
Lots of speculation and no way to know for sure.

1 Lots of sleds haven't seen snow yet.
2 Just because they have 50-200 miles already doesn't mean they are out of the woods yet.
3 Some who have broken shafts aren't posting because a dealer asked them not to.
4 Some may not be posting because of mods done and don't want Polaris to void their warranty based on posting.
5 and those are just the ones who are here regularly.

They are breaking with soft glue and hard glue, they are breaking in less than 10 miles and over 200, the only thing we know for sure is, it isn't just hype, it is a problem.

Old Scud-doo

Premium Member
Dec 28, 2007
Middle Montana
Sorry but I own a 13 and have owned 900's and dragon 8's and this is the first time I put money down on a Tow Buddy just in case. What bothers me the most is that this is going to be a recall for sure but there won't be any parts available to fix said sleds. Really sucks to say the least.

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
Seconds hand info...unconfirmed....local dealer has supposedly seen 13 broken, but they sell a lot of sleds. Thye are just putting in 2012 shafts.

Premium Features