• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

FYI: RK TEK "DROP IN" PISTON AND HEAD KIT FOR PRO 800'S

2XM3

Premium Member
Oct 6, 2008
Bitteroot valley,MT
Stupid...
These are the engines that need work. A guy can buy a new 2010 CFI-4 powered sled cheap now! Very Cheap! With a new top-end a guy could be on a sled for half the price of a pro chassis. Probably even add a turbo and be money ahead of a stock "Pro" chassis. Lots of kits could be sold. Will be tough selling parts for a sled that is not yet broke and has an up front cost of 13k.

And you would end up with a piece of ****,discontinued motor with good pistons that would just bust the skirt off the jugs anyway...and yes i've repaired a bunch of these....:face-icon-small-coo

S
Nov 28, 2007
Spokane, Wa
profile.myspace.com
Starting to snoop around over here... Looks like RKT might be on to another good product!! I ran Kelsey's 860 on my Rev and was nothing but impressed. In fact, I know the guy who bought it from me and he is TEARING IT UP on this sled still, two years later!! Pretty sweet!!

Hoping to step into a stock Pro soon and will be looking to have some reliable power and added grunt for playing in the trees. Keep up the good work Kelsey!

beamslayer

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
I have had numerous talks with Kelsey in the last week and he has answered all my questions no matter how mundane they where. I will be running his 858 kit next year in my assault. I like the idea that the cylinders get checked for cracks before I invest in pistons and head . I also like how he builds the head for your area. Anyone interested in a 13-1 PA head and Hps can?

rick5150

Lifetime Membership
Feb 13, 2012
mpls
I have had numerous talks with Kelsey in the last week and he has answered all my questions no matter how mundane they where. I will be running his 858 kit next year in my assault. I like the idea that the cylinders get checked for cracks before I invest in pistons and head . I also like how he builds the head for your area. Anyone interested in a 13-1 PA head and Hps can?

I am message me about the head and can or email... claricd@gmail.com

T

treedocker

Sep 1, 2010
i have Kelsey's drop in kit in my 2012 pro and fricken love it. runs way better than any stock or single piped sled out there. i have 1050 miles on it now and every-ride just seems to run better and better, the response is amazing that this sled has and is feels like it has way more torque. the engine just seems to run very smooth and it has never hick-upped on me once.
i would recommend this kit to anyone it rocks and the anodized head looks very nice on the sled

Pro-8250

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2008
Northern MN.
Thanks for any advise

I'll try to keep my questions simple.:face-icon-small-con
2011 Pro 163" 883 miles two years left on the warranty
2011 Pro 155" 1872 miles, no warranty.
I am not a person of great knowledge on rebuilding two-stroke motors so I need advise.
I won't do anything with the 163" because it has a warranty.
So if I purchase the kit for the 155", the pistons, rings, head, and head gasket get replaced. Correct?
How do I know the cylinders, crank, rods etc. are OK.
Will the cylinder skirt break off anyway?
Is there anything to be done to the oil pump or oil line? I know some people turn up the oil. I never have.
Do you run mixed gas for the first tank?
I guess my big concern is if the cylinders are OK to use again. I apologize for repeat questions.
I haven't messed with a motor in over 30 years and that was a 383 and a 413 Mopar. (Yes they did make a 413) So I will get help from friends.
I sold my 09 Dragon 800 two years ago and they put a drop in kit and I will tell you that thing really ripped, and ran like a Swiss watch. We both felt like it out performed my 2011 engine wise. Less vibration too. So there is something to be said about these kits. Why Polaris can't do this is beyond me. Are you listening Roseau? Thanks again everyone.:face-icon-small-hap

S

Super Sled

Jul 10, 2009
Duluth, MN
I'll try to keep my questions simple.:face-icon-small-con
2011 Pro 163" 883 miles two years left on the warranty
2011 Pro 155" 1872 miles, no warranty.
I am not a person of great knowledge on rebuilding two-stroke motors so I need advise.
I won't do anything with the 163" because it has a warranty.
So if I purchase the kit for the 155", the pistons, rings, head, and head gasket get replaced. Correct?
How do I know the cylinders, crank, rods etc. are OK.
Will the cylinder skirt break off anyway?
Is there anything to be done to the oil pump or oil line? I know some people turn up the oil. I never have.
Do you run mixed gas for the first tank?
I guess my big concern is if the cylinders are OK to use again. I apologize for repeat questions.
I haven't messed with a motor in over 30 years and that was a 383 and a 413 Mopar. (Yes they did make a 413) So I will get help from friends.
I sold my 09 Dragon 800 two years ago and they put a drop in kit and I will tell you that thing really ripped, and ran like a Swiss watch. We both felt like it out performed my 2011 engine wise. Less vibration too. So there is something to be said about these kits. Why Polaris can't do this is beyond me. Are you listening Roseau? Thanks again everyone.:face-icon-small-hap

Excellent questions, neighbor

Wanna install our kits together, lol!

beamslayer

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Go for the 858 kit and the cylinder issues will be addressed. Thats what I am doing.

J
Aug 2, 2008
Is the pricing for the turbo head the same as a non turbo head? Also do you know if anyone is kicking around the idea of a 858 Turbo?? :biggrin1::biggrin1:

R

RKT

Jul 19, 2001
Preston, Idaho
www.2strokeheads.com
Is the pricing for the turbo head the same as a non turbo head? Also do you know if anyone is kicking around the idea of a 858 Turbo?? :biggrin1::biggrin1:

The turbo Head is an extra $50.00 since each one is made specifically for the turbo application and we have to design and program and machine.

I have a few considering the 858 turbo and a few already that have done the drop in kit with the turbo

Kelsey

Hawkster

Lifetime Membership
Apr 22, 2010
AK
I've got his complete drop in kit in my Hawk and the very first thing that I noticed is that the water jacket addresses something the factories haven't gotten a handle on yet , that alone speaks tons , the other thing is that the 800 Doo specs call for 425 mains , and the set up with pipe and carb pods I was running 410 and with this kit I'm now running 370s' , and it's good for 10 below ,not bad since I was running 350s' in the 600 that was in it . Since I have this little 12 X 136 X 2.25 track I did notice the differance in the mid and top , pulls like a freight train , hard to believe the track takes the beating . Blower belt is a different story , ate three of them this year (wonder if I can put a warranty claim on his kit for the belts ? :face-icon-small-hap ) anyhow .. she's got about 14,000 plus on the chasis and counting . As far as I'm concerned what ever machine that's in the garage and needs help will get his work .

Mentzel

Lifetime Membership
Oct 10, 2009
And you would end up with a piece of ****,discontinued motor with good pistons that would just bust the skirt off the jugs anyway...and yes i've repaired a bunch of these....:face-icon-small-coo

repaired a bunch? Maybe you didn't do something right...

Norway

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Back on top and back on track (?)

MH mentioned in the opening post "designed with tighter clearance" (or close).

Can you please elaborate on the difference in size vs. the stock piston?
Like 3 thou tighter than with a stock piston or something?

RS

S

snobyrd

Nov 27, 2007
northeast bc
How many grms of weight have to be added when installing the drop in kit? also should a guy break in the stock motor before I install the kit?
Jeff

S

snobyrd

Nov 27, 2007
northeast bc
I chatted with Kelsey yesterday, he said doesn't matter if engine is broke in or not, and this kit revs a few hundred higher.. He also said the coolant temps on cheater head and the billet head are very close to each other, so there's no advantage to the billet head other than looks, he also said the skinz is a good can to use with this kit.
Jeff

T
Jan 3, 2008
nelson bc
just pistons?

i am need to freshin up my top end in my 2011 163 pro, RKT, can i run just you pistons with the stock head? i noticed you said the pistons change the port timing, so is your head necessary? im on a budget or i would get your head as well but i'd prefer not to. would there be much gain with just the pistons? has this ever been done? thanks in advance!

R

RKT

Jul 19, 2001
Preston, Idaho
www.2strokeheads.com
i am need to freshin up my top end in my 2011 163 pro, RKT, can i run just you pistons with the stock head? i noticed you said the pistons change the port timing, so is your head necessary? im on a budget or i would get your head as well but i'd prefer not to. would there be much gain with just the pistons? has this ever been done? thanks in advance!

Yes, we have direct replacement pistons that require no head and will address the internal piston issues..

ditch1000

Lifetime Membership
Jul 6, 2008
Fort St. James, B.C.
I'm sittng on the fence with this one. I'm thinking I may buy this kit after xmas... I want to run my belt drive for a while first before changing something else. Gotta say though, I had a clutch kit on my old M1000 and a head on my back up M7 and the clutch was awesome and the a M7 can still hold it's own against a 2010 800. Not too worried about it not running strong, but want to see some feedback first; RK Tek is my first choice when I do it!!!!

Premium Features