• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

What would you buy???

H

Holomis International

Nov 29, 2008
www.holomis.com
Hey Guys

Over the past 2yrs I have had a T-Dragon and a T-M8, now it is time to buy another machine again.

I ride in the tree's in powder, and I do also do some poking but not real big into straight up climbs to the top of the world, spend most of my time in and out of tree's and jumping creek beds etc... Boondocking!

I have been a bit frustrated with the bit of bottom end lag on both my previous machines, screws a guy up in the tree's if you are not on it.

So I have been considering picking up at supercharged Phazer, they are about the same weight as a stock dragon or M8 and they make about the same power as a stock machine.

The advantages of the Phazer:

No lag in the tree's
Should be as nimble if not more then a dragon
Will have a true 150hp in the mountains

Disadvantage:

A lot less power then the Turbo's I am use tooo
14" track
possible lack of floatation.

So given the the choice would you guys go back to a turbo dragon/pro or would you go ahead and try the supercharged Phazer?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Jeff
www.holomis.com
info@holomis.com

H

Hodz Modz

Sep 15, 2011
Have you looked into a super for a M8? Last weekend, at Hay Days, I talked with speedwerx about their super charger and they said they have had good luck with them. Just a thought....

M

Moosehumper

Mar 27, 2009
In a van, down by the river!
As much I as hate to say it, don't go with the Phazer. I've had 3 of them - one with a turbo.

The floatation isn't great for creeping through the trees. The rear suspension is not up to the task at all. The steering is kind of hoeky as well.

Yes you can throw it around like riding a dirt squirter but that's about where the fun ends. There some that work well but they are more aftermarket - less phazer.

A 2010 nytro with the MCX180 is what I currently ride & for me, it's a keeper.

H

Holomis International

Nov 29, 2008
www.holomis.com
Have you looked into a super for a M8? Last weekend, at Hay Days, I talked with speedwerx about their super charger and they said they have had good luck with them. Just a thought....

I would have to go with the new M8 because the old ones just don't have the handling. Thanks for the input!!! I will check it out.

RACINSTATION

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2003
Idaho
You will most definitely be disappointed in the Phazer.

For bottom end snap the Supercharger may be a viable option.

If you are in the trees a lot, the lower the weight of the sled the better.

H

Holomis International

Nov 29, 2008
www.holomis.com
As much I as hate to say it, don't go with the Phazer. I've had 3 of them - one with a turbo.

The floatation isn't great for creeping through the trees. The rear suspension is not up to the task at all. The steering is kind of hoeky as well.

Yes you can throw it around like riding a dirt squirter but that's about where the fun ends. There some that work well but they are more aftermarket - less phazer.

A 2010 nytro with the MCX180 is what I currently ride & for me, it's a keeper.

I appreciate the input and this is exactly what I am looking for as far as information. Guys with real riding time.

Don't you find the Nytro very heavy through the tree's?

Thanks again for the input.

H

Holomis International

Nov 29, 2008
www.holomis.com
You will most definitely be disappointed in the Phazer.

For bottom end snap the Supercharger may be a viable option.

If you are in the trees a lot, the lower the weight of the sled the better.

Thanks for the input, I certainly don't want to be disappointed, I may stick with what I know and go with a pro or T dragon.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
The Nytro has more weight, no doubt about that.
BUT..

You can make your Nytro VERY nimble and quit adept at moving around in tight places, it just takes a few mods.

One of the hottest products to roll out for those of us that love the Yamaha Nytro is the new Skinz Protective Gear "Concept A-Arms".

Those that had a chance to ride the prototypes last season will tell you it absolutely transformed the machine, and that is NOT hyperbola.

There are three good threads that talk about that, and if you decide to go down the Nytro route, (which with a Super Charger on it is a very capable machine), installing those A-Arms would be a must-do item for riding in the trees.

Take a look at these two threads on it.
http://www.snowestonline.com/forum/s...d.php?t=263165

http://www.snowestonline.com/forum/s...d.php?t=271737

And then this one that I wrote up.
http://www.snowestonline.com/forum/s...d.php?t=267561

H

Holomis International

Nov 29, 2008
www.holomis.com
The Nytro has more weight, no doubt about that.
BUT..

You can make your Nytro VERY nimble and quit adept at moving around in tight places, it just takes a few mods.

One of the hottest products to roll out for those of us that love the Yamaha Nytro is the new Skinz Protective Gear "Concept A-Arms".

Those that had a chance to ride the prototypes last season will tell you it absolutely transformed the machine, and that is NOT hyperbola.

There are three good threads that talk about that, and if you decide to go down the Nytro route, (which with a Super Charger on it is a very capable machine), installing those A-Arms would be a must-do item for riding in the trees.

Take a look at these two threads on it.
http://www.snowestonline.com/forum/s...d.php?t=263165

http://www.snowestonline.com/forum/s...d.php?t=271737

And then this one that I wrote up.
http://www.snowestonline.com/forum/s...d.php?t=267561

Thanks for the input, I have a fellow who bought a deck off of us that has a very nice nytro done to the nuts, and he ended up going back to an XP for tree poking, I have never riden a Nytro before, but just from what I hear they are a bit hefty to toss around in the tight tree's. However without having ridden one it's only hearsay.

I do appreciate everyones input!

Jeff

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Go watch some of the videos in those threads.
They will give you a pretty good idea of what the Nytro is really capable of doing now.

←snow∞motion→

Lifetime Membership
Jan 18, 2010
WY
The Phazer used to be the cat's pajamas, in fact we have about 14 of them from 1984 to mid 90's.

I'm just not impressed with the new ones, haven't heard very many good things about them.

P

pedak07

Nov 28, 2007
Went down today to work out details on my new Nytro w/ MPI Kit, found a left over 2010 for a great deal. Should be fine in the trees!!!

M

Moosehumper

Mar 27, 2009
In a van, down by the river!
I guess it depends on what your favorite flavor is. I do not find the Nytro to feel heavy even if it is. At the end of the day you certainly don't feel like it rode you.

I went to the 10 Nytro after trying a 08 Summit XP (Xtra Problems) & I find that the nytro is easier to ride & more predictable. I hated that Doo, I always felt like it was going to crumple underneath me.

As for cat- I quit them in the 80s with the self destructing clutch special.

The Apex that I had required more countersteer than body english to make it work. The Phazers were exactly the opposite< once they were off the truck you could have left the skis at home you can bank those succkers by turning your helmet:face-icon-small-win.

I rode a 2010 Dragon for a few days & never really found the sweet spot on it. Too much "Blue" blood I guess..

I find the nytro well balanced & the wider ski stance on the 2010 actually seems to help by making it more forgiving when your really chucking it sideways.:boxing: Admitedly though, I don't think one with out boost would satisfy.

Climbmax

Lifetime Membership
Jul 20, 2001
Big Mountains of B.C.
Thanks for the input, I have a fellow who bought a deck off of us that has a very nice nytro done to the nuts, and he ended up going back to an XP for tree poking, I have never riden a Nytro before, but just from what I hear they are a bit hefty to toss around in the tight tree's. However without having ridden one it's only hearsay.

I do appreciate everyones input!

Jeff

I like your comments "from what I have heard". That is exactly the stigmatism 99% of the Snowesters (and other forms) have of them. Because they are all the people who have never ridden one.........I know hard to believe......people commenting on something they know little about ;)

I'd suggest you get a test on a 180 stock motor turbo program. Amazing throttle response, easy install, factory support, easy to clutch, full season belt life, 25 bucks of oil for the year. Sounds good huh?

I can assure you they will boon alongside any of the 2 strokes. You sound like an intelligent individual...........arrange with a dealer who will look after you, deposit based on first test, hit the snow in November and your off. If you can't find a participating dealer, call me.......I have a 180 mcx on 2010 chasis i keep in the trailer for guys like you.......to open their eyes.....many have once they ride it. :)

Safe sleddin
RS

C

CSCHERER

Nov 26, 2007
Climbmax has said it all...after coming off an 08 xp with an 860 streched out and having my share of xtra probs I was invited to a full day test ride on the nytro. The next day we rode our personal sleds and I was truly dissappointed.....
One day on the 180 kit and I slapped down the credit card.
The only problem I have found is how addicting boost is......I have went from a 180 kit to a 240 all in the same year....

Call Dean at alpine motorsports and ask for a test ride......tell him cscherer recommended one. You will not be disappointed.....

1-800Oregon

Lifetime Membership
Dec 6, 2007
Burns, OR
Dang climbmax I should have given you a call. I jumped in head first. Just bought a left over 2010 162. Looking at the new MPI 180 turbo, found out there back ordered until jan. Still can't wait to ride. It was hard to leave Arctic cat behind though.

Premium Features