• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

SOME CHANGES ON THE 2012 PRO RMK.

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
The 2011 season was a home run for Polaris.

The engineers simply refined what was already a stellar design.

There were some minor changes for the 2012.

Here is a list of some of the changes... but is in no way a comprehensive list.

1) The motor mount system was changed to include different bolts, mounts and snubber rubbers... this results in less engine movement and keeps the motor more firmly planted in the chassis.

The 2011 chassis can be upgraded and Polaris will be offering an upgrade kit, but this will not be an update under warranty.
The part numbers for the kit will be available sometime in the early season. I'm told that it will be reasonable in cost.

picture.php

Last edited:

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
2) Engine

The MY 2012 cylinder is a complete new part number... Polaris was a bit vague with details (understandably). The only way we are really going to be able to find out what the changes will be to put a 2011 and 2012 on the bench and compare them this season next to each other

The fuel injectors have been changed and I understand that they are not retrofittable onto the 2011 cylinders as the machining is not the same on the injector bosses.

The Y-Pipe and silencer (can) were changed and are retrofitable... the reason for this was a supplier change. The pipe remains the same 2011/2012.

The 2011 and 2012 ECU flash are different, but I do not believe they will be able to run the 2012 flash. I think it is related to the injectors.

The oil pump is different in part number, but is functionally the same.

Cylinder head remains the same since 2010.

Throttle bodies are the same.

Cases are the same as 2011.

Pistons are the same as 2011

Crankshaft is the same as 2011...though connecting rod kits are now available.

Essentially the 2011 and 2012 motors would only be interchangeable if you had a complete new motor and flash.

Last edited:

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
3) Chassis

The Chassis has only been very slightly modified.

The Bulkhead assembly now has the chaincase bonded to it with the Lord 406/19GB acrylic adhesive to help rigidity of the chassis.

The Casting for the front of the running board edge-tube has been strengthened.

The running board edge has had the traction feature changed a bit.

The drop brackets now have what appears to be an enhanced reinforcement plate on the outside of the tunnel which is now black or red in color and what is reported to be a stronger rivet system to attach/sandwich this.

The over-structure and bumpers (Front and rear) remain the same...

The tunnel and coolers remain the same (same cooling capacity)

The steering system remains the same.

Skis remain the grippers with the same carbides.

The suspension remains the same as the 2011 MY... with the same valving and spring combos.

For 2012, the 163 now gets straight rails the same as the 155" length models.

The track remains the same in both 155 and 163" lenghts... same single ply construction and same durometer... the same track.

Last edited:

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
4) Electrical

The electrical systems remains the DC-CFI-2 system, essentially the same as the 2011.

Wire harness has been refined for abrasion resistance and more ideal routing of the harness.

The ECU remains the same.

The Regulators and capacitors remain the same.

A rubber boot has now been added to the TPS connector.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
Again, this is not meant to be a complete list, if 2012 owners want to add to this ... feel free to get those things that I've missed.

I've tried to be accurate...my info is only as good as my sources.

Pray for early snow... and in large quantities!!

A

ACMtnCat

Nov 26, 2007
Utah
Sounds like this improved 2012 will be the home run! And the 2011 was just a third base hit!:face-icon-small-ton

RMK-King

Super-Moderator
Dec 25, 2007
North Dakota
Sounds like Polaris has addressed all of last years little bugs for 2012. It is almost like they have been reading these forums! :face-icon-small-coo

Thanks for the info MH.

G

gman086

Feb 5, 2008
Portland, OR
Sounds like Polaris has addressed all of last years little bugs for 2012. It is almost like they have been reading these forums! :face-icon-small-coo

Thanks for the info MH.

Except for the weaksauce shock valving and cooling issues of the Pro (far bigger issues than what was addressed if you ask me). Maybe 2013 I'll trade her in; we'll see if they really listen!

Have FUN!

G MAN

RMK-King

Super-Moderator
Dec 25, 2007
North Dakota
Except for the weaksauce shock valving and cooling issues of the Pro (far bigger issues than what was addressed if you ask me).

The Pro was purpose built for deep snow, cooling is not a issue in these conditions. If you ride more hard pack and trails get the standard RMK and the cooling issues will be gone. If you want stiffer shocks get the Assault.

If none of the above suite your style then that is what the aftermarket companies are for.
thumb.gif

Last edited:
V

Vi-PEC Powersports

Aug 17, 2011
CANADA
for 20102, polaris switched to bosch injectors ,good move so it is now more easy to get bigger size for extra fueling, with our standalone you can take over a wide range of injectors with bigger cc specification.

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
No service bulletin on the motor mounts is BS on poo's part. There's a reason they changed them that extensively, and now that many are rolling out of warranty, or the warranty will be challenged if a mount takes out the clutches, they are making the switch on our backs. We'll see how the season progresses, but poo had a chance to really step up here and take better care of the SAME PEEPS that helped bring them out of the dark ages of the 800 CFI 4 debacle, and they won't. Thank you very little, poo. Rant off.

D

dmkhnr

Nov 26, 2007
NV
I can't wait to see one on the scale to see if there was an increase in weight! Also didn't I read that they changed the silencer?

The pro comes with scratchers, I don't see how you would have a heat problem. Put them down when your on setup snow conditions or on the road. If you see your temp gauge climbing this means your not throwing snow on the rear cooler and the scratchers need to be down.

icerider600

Lifetime Membership
Jan 22, 2008
Castlewood SD
Thanks MH This is making me feel even better about the switch from my Doo to Poo, hope this thing Rocks!! or all my Doo buddies are going to bury me in BS:faint:

A

aebsledder

Jan 16, 2008
Gallatin Valley
No service bulletin on the motor mounts is BS on poo's part. There's a reason they changed them that extensively, and now that many are rolling out of warranty, or the warranty will be challenged if a mount takes out the clutches, they are making the switch on our backs. We'll see how the season progresses, but poo had a chance to really step up here and take better care of the SAME PEEPS that helped bring them out of the dark ages of the 800 CFI 4 debacle, and they won't. Thank you very little, poo. Rant off.

After having my motor mounts break twice, I feel the same way. I was lucky enough to test out a system that fastrax designed to fix that problem. I will try to post up some pics of it when I get time. I guess a positive to take out of it is that at least they are doing something about it and not standing idly by.

R

Rev Kev

Nov 27, 2007
Lapeer Michigan
Thanks MH This is making me feel even better about the switch from my Doo to Poo, hope this thing Rocks!! or all my Doo buddies are going to bury me in BS:faint:

No chance of that happening, the Pro rocks. My 11' Pro was my first non-Doo sled in 30 years, very Happy with it.:face-icon-small-hap

Premium Features