• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

For those of you who are thinking of running the Power Claw track on your PRO-RMK

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
The Avid drivers are NOT compatible with the Power Claw tracks... I've already tried... as has Jkinzer.:mad:

The only direct fit driver, right now, for the PC's on the Tubular Polaris shaft is the PPD driver from SLP/Carls/Wahl bros. It is an 8 tooth driver that gives less clearance, even with the shorter lug height, than the stock Dragon track.

This would be about 1/4" running the 8 tooth 3" pitch drivers on the powerclaw in the RAW Chassis

These are only available in 8 tooth drivers...This will give you LESS clearance than the stock 2.4" tall lugs, even though the PC track has shorter lugs.

The only 7 tooth drivers available are the Avid drivers.

If you want to run the Avids you will either need to cut all the involute driver teeth off the outside of both the Avid drivers or cut every other mini guide nub off the track. I would recommend neither. [See the photos below]

OR... machine off all of the "extro" teeth and run them as standard involute drivers.

The Power Claw track does not have involute driver nubs on the outside of the driver/clip windows... just 1/3-sized guide "nubs" that help keep the track in line.

The Avid drivers are designed to drive off of the involute nubs, just like stock, UNLESS the track starts to ratchet... then the teeth of the driver catch the track.

95% of the time... the teeth of an Avid driver are not designed to be in contact with the track.

The small "guide nubs" do not even touch the involute cogs of the driver... even after removing the ones inline with the driver window... This creates a situation where only 2 rows, compared to 4 stock or other tracks, are trying to drive the track most of the time.. this puts tremendous strain on the the 1 row of involute nubs on each side and creates strange side loading of the driver that can cause the drivers to "walk" on the shaft.

Dub on the forum here had this problem with the Avids and the PowerClaw that he ran all last season. He runs a machine shop and had to make a custom sleeve and weld tabs to the driveshaft to keep this "walking" from happening with the Avid drivers that he modded to run the Powerclaw. This "walking" will still occur even if you only trim the nubs

You will either need to modify the drivers or modify the track. The PC tracks are different than other tracks.

I have made a gauge to measure track clearace on the 2.4" stock tracks... just a hair over 1/4" at the roof of the tunnel.

You are absolutely correct about track tension. Loose tracks DO rub, all the agressive riders on Dragons (07-09) that I have looked into the tunnels on have rub marks... even with proper tension. Looser than stock settings also changes the way the track works... if it is not tight, the paddles lay down more as the track flexes and gives less than optimal performance.

Even with Combo drivers, if you want optimal performance from your track, use the stock tension recommendations.... Not just my opinion, but the engineers at Camoplast as well.. they make 95% of the tracks on our mountain sleds.... This is in addition to the clearance issues that are made worse with a loose track at speed.

Loose tracks may "pull" easier with the sled off the ground... but that is not the case with the sled in motion, with the weight of the sled on the track and drivers turning the track... rippling as it is pushed down the hyfax.

You can't compare the power required to turn track being pulled by hand on a stand and one that is in use, under power with traction... these are two completely different scenarios.

Power Claw Track
pic058.jpg

Dubs Driveshaft with the modified Avid drivers and spacer tube with welded tabs on the outside to keep the drivers from "walking" on the driveshaft.

Dubsdriveshaft.jpg

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Now... If you say that YOU, or your best friends uncles bosses mechanic, run unmodified Avid drivers on a stock (uncut) PC track in an IQ-RMK without problems...Then please post up some pics of your driver & track installed. :rolleyes:

C

coolx2

Nov 29, 2007
As always thanks for the info, This was a mod Iwas planning on doing but had to many questions so I decided to go another route.

H
Jan 9, 2003
Sparks, Nevada
So unfortunaltey I am now even happier that I went with the xtreme track option. Man that sucks Eric. I hope the fix is easy and not to wallet intensive. Someone with lots of brains will come up with an easy fix. DUB's looks awesome and seems like the ticket so far. I am gonna be interested to see what others have done to fix the problem.

I

IDAHO HOT SHOT

Jan 21, 2009
South of Bellevue...way south
So just so I am understanding right, I can use the regular introvert drivers that I just bought for this application. I was going to go extrovert aftermarket, but they were alot more than regular 3/0 drivers???:confused:

C

chief 8101

Nov 26, 2007
Monroe WA
I have the AVID drivers and the powerclaw track on my 2008 Dragon running a boondockers turbo. Had them both on most of all last season and had no problems. Sled was at the Boise show with both installed on it.

M
Nov 26, 2007
Fairbanks
I have the AVID drivers and the powerclaw track on my 2008 Dragon running a boondockers turbo. Had them both on most of all last season and had no problems. Sled was at the Boise show with both installed on it.

did you modify the track or the drivers in any way? I only ask, because I just ordered my Avid 7 tooth drivers for my new power claw yesterday. I think grinding off the mini nub on the track would do the trick.

C

chief 8101

Nov 26, 2007
Monroe WA
Didn't have to modify the track or the drivers to get them to work. I will try to get some photos to post in the next day or two.

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
that sucks eric, any chance avid is working on a set of drivers for the p-claw?..I went with the camo -x..but was tempted to go p-claw..just felt the x works better in our snow...

H
Jan 9, 2003
Sparks, Nevada
Just thinking out loud but is the cat camo track the same as the pclaw? I know it has the smaller nubs just like the pclaw in the pic. If so then that means that I had the avid 2.86 pitch drivers running the the cat camo xtreme track and had zero problems with it. Not sure but if so I can get pics if needed. or wanted.

J

Jkinzer

Nov 27, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
the camo extreme does not have the single nub in the middle of the window as does the powerclaws... the powerclaw tracks are the first i have seen with this set up.. i know stanger is running them with avids on his new polaris creation but he ground the nubs off... and realistically i dont see how you can make the combo work otherwise with out doing a driver mod as shown above

wildcard28

Dec 18, 2007
Clarkston WA
s375.photobucket.com
Hello guys, I know i might be in the wrong section here, but I have a 153 Arctic Cat M series challenger type track on my 97` summit and had to buy the Wahl Bros 7th extrovert drivers, as I was installing the track I realized I also he to shave every other one of the little lugs off the outside of the track for the drivers to not walk over the top of them, the problem I have been having is, when you have the belt off and turn the secondary to for the track to rotate forward and then try to rotate it in reverse you feel a bindup some where and have to kinda force the rotation then it frees up and turns good, if you stop and rotate back forward you feel the same thing. I have looked everwhere and can`t seem to nail what is going on. I ran it all last year with no big issues other than the old suspension I had in had terribly bad bent rails on the front of the skid holding the track to one side badly and I think that is the noise i was hearing all last year. I have a different skid this year and the track is centered better but the bindup is still there. when the sled is jacked up and you rotate the clutch or the track by hand,

Any Ideas Thanks, Darren

199.jpg 134.jpg 133.jpg 125.jpg

MURFDOG

Lifetime Membership
Jan 30, 2008
I ran the Power Claw last season with Avid drivers with no problems. I did modify the track though(took off everyother nub). So far the drivers have stayed put. The PC works real well but I really want to test it against a CE side by side, same brand sled, same hill at the same time. Just a straight shot to see who trenchs out first.

Super Dave3

Lifetime Membership
Feb 15, 2003
Klamath Falls OR
Powerclaw

Now... If you say that YOU, or your best friends uncles bosses mechanic, run unmodified Avid drivers on a stock (uncut) PC track in an IQ-RMK without problems...Then please post up some pics of your driver & track installed. :rolleyes:

Eric if you remember, I bought a Powerclaw when we were at Burandts. I installed in his shop and had no issues with my Avid drivers. The track I bought from VOHK was an early prototype, maybe Arctic Cat changed the track desgn later? Dont have that sled any more so i cant get you any pics.

M
Nov 26, 2007
Fairbanks
I sure do feel better now that all you guys posted up with your expierience, sounds to me like I'm just going to grind every other mini nub off, and run the avid drivers. Sure would be nice if the manufactures would quit trying to re invent the wheel, when it comes to track pitch, and length.

Premium Features