• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

mcx or impulse

Z
Nov 26, 2007
ok im sure this has been beat to death but... Im looking for a nytro and have been looking at both the mcx and the impulse kits. I like the placement of the impulse kit but was woundering if there is any heat issues with it on warm days (melting plastic or anything). What is the lag differance between the two? Does the stock seat fit with the impulse kit? Why is mcx still using a journal bearing turbo? does it matter?? Alot of questions but want to make sure that this much cash is spent in the right direction. thanks for all the replys good or bad...

Z

Zipperno

Jan 9, 2008
Nordkjosbotn, Norway
Both kits are well known for quality and power. Mcx is easier and takes less time to install. Impulse will have least lag. The stock seat will fit the Impulse, but you have to cut away most of the foama and it will be hard to sit on... I belive mcx still uses a journal bearing turbo because they are cheap to buy, they are a business that try to make as much money as possible..... But it spools ok and will last a long time.

Btw I have the Impulse...

The standalone ecu on the Impulse was the reason I chose them.

H

HYFLYR

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 21, 2007
Alaska
Both make great kits! I ride the impulse as i feel it offers the best performance and least lag. It does take a little bit longer to install but the new standalone controller is the best thing to happen to turbo'ed sleds. As for heat its a non issue. With one simple side vent it is plenty of cooling and plastics will not melt. There is nothing wrong with the mcx and the mits turbos have been proven to be bullet proof on them. They make a great kit that is clean and simple and proven reliability to back them up. All i know is i have had both kits although my mcx was on a apex and both were great. You wont be dissapointed with either one but i would do the impulse standalone kit again in a heartbeat, its truly an awesome kit that once installed doesnt need to be touched!

S
Nov 26, 2007
FU
Go with whatever you can get the best support locally. I have a great MCX shop locally and it helps a lot.

Lag is only noticed to any rider the first few times out. You will get used to the way your turbo responds and adjust your riding accordingly.

Z
Nov 26, 2007
Go with whatever you can get the best support locally. I have a great MCX shop locally and it helps a lot.

Lag is only noticed to any rider the first few times out. You will get used to the way your turbo responds and adjust your riding accordingly.

so what are you getting for a kit?

I kinda like the standalone ecu. but i went to the impulse web sit and seen the price:eek:. Im sure its nasty though

J

jsandgren10

Jan 17, 2008
Northern California
I have heard great things on MCX and Impulse. I went the impulse route on my apex and couldn't imagine going to another kit. The quality of parts and how well Paul braced the turbo, intercooler, etc. were some big selling points for me. His customer service was second to none, I did the install myself and called him a few times with questions. He was always willing to answer them and would stay on the phone as I was installing parts I was unsure about. I hear his standalone kit is awesome. I have the apex so I run the pure logic box, but the map he put on it and settings he said to run were spot on. I run the sled at 15psi on 50/50 and it pulls like a freight train.

His kit seems a bit more expensive but you are also getting the standalone ecu, larger fuel tank, the surge tank, etc. I know when I buy a nytro an impulse kit will be on order as well.

D
Nov 26, 2007
I switched from a 17 lb mcx nytro last year to an impulse nytro this year... I will not be a returning customer for mcx.. The standalone impulse nytro is bar none the best turbo kit out right now.

D

dcturbo

Mar 2, 2008
WYO
The Impulse kit is more expensive but Paul does not skimp on quality parts.
The heat is not an issue. I run the full race kit 2871 turbo bigger header and a divorced down pipe and the heat is not an issue. As for the seat Paul has a new seat to go with his kit or you can get a hold of Motleyone here on snowest and he builds a great seat to fit the tank..
Impulse has the stand alone ECU that really sets him above all other kits.
Have fun..
Cheers:beer;

mtnmodviper

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Pocatello, Idaho
I switched from a 17 lb mcx nytro last year to an impulse nytro this year... I will not be a returning customer for mcx.. The standalone impulse nytro is bar none the best turbo kit out right now.

And when I first saw Blair's new sled, I asked, "How many people died from that wreck?" Not too surprising that it didn't run so well. You were hard on that sled! He's got it fixed up now with a new tunnel, skid, stainless header, and 174. I hope it works out for him and I hope your new sled can withstand the beating better than your old one.
I do think the new impulse kit is going to be great and sets the bar for the other turbo companies!

Last edited:
Premium Features