• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Anything new with the 2020 850 vs. 2019 850 motor?

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
I find it strange that The 2019 850 engine update package Indy Specialty designed in November/December of the 2018 will prove to be more advanced and more dependable then the 2020 Polaris 850 factory updates.

I also thinks it’s sad on Polaris’s part that A 2019 850 that Indy Specialty updates will be a longer lasting motor then the factory 2020 850 ..... why does Polaris make to simplest things so over complex ?

It’s funny how 3 months ago the line of nay sayers thrashing me saying there was nothing wrong with the 850 are so quiet right now.

I wonder where ADDIE is ? AKA Kelsey with his big Facebook write up saying how I was wrong about every update I said the 850 needed.....

I wonder what the Facebookers have to say now ?

I went out on a limb...... and I put it all in writing.

I said time will show who is right or wrong.

With all of Polaris’s resources I would rather have a 2019 850 that was updated the way I see it rather then the way they see it need to be done.

They missed 2 of the most important dependability problems.����

Dan

Well thanks Dan, without the fuss you made about this motor Polaris may have not implemented the crank fixes you advertised were necessary. They may have just glued the bearing in place with the loctite for bearings and slapped the hands of those who messed up on the assembly line.

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
This was at the Polaris booth at the Yellowstone Expo today.

4e2ec91e23951f6d46db12018996539a.jpg

Wonder if those of us that Legitimately “Snowchecked” a 2019 850 will get some of these upgrades through a recall?

2XM3

Premium Member
Oct 6, 2008
Bitteroot valley,MT
That is a very very good question, i'd bet its a case by case thing for sure however, if they replace your entire engine, maybe you get the updated design :juggle::juggle::juggle::juggle:

tdbaugha

Lifetime Membership
Apr 18, 2009
USA
Wonder if those of us that Legitimately “Snowchecked” a 2019 850 will get some of these upgrades through a recall?

Given your engine history, I’m sure you’ll get some updates after about 700 miles of riding. Better get that back healed up!

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
Zero chance of a recall. Every stock 850 has a four year warranty. Actual "recalls" are almost exclusively for safety, besides.

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
I find it strange that The 2019 850 engine update package Indy Specialty designed in November/December of the 2018 will prove to be more advanced and more dependable then the 2020 Polaris 850 factory updates.

I also thinks it’s sad on Polaris’s part that A 2019 850 that Indy Specialty updates will be a longer lasting motor then the factory 2020 850 ..... why does Polaris make to simplest things so over complex ?

It’s funny how 3 months ago the line of nay sayers thrashing me saying there was nothing wrong with the 850 are so quiet right now.

I wonder where ADDIE is ? AKA Kelsey with his big Facebook write up saying how I was wrong about every update I said the 850 needed.....

I wonder what the Facebookers have to say now ?

I went out on a limb...... and I put it all in writing.

I said time will show who is right or wrong.

With all of Polaris’s resources I would rather have a 2019 850 that was updated the way I see it rather then the way they see it need to be done.

They missed 2 of the most important dependability problems.����

Dan

Mr Polaris actually called me and told me they didn't do that stuff because he thought you were such a stand up guy Dan and didn't want you to go out business. By not fixing everything it makes you still look like a genius and allows you to make money off Polaris by doing your upgrades! Cheers to Mr Polaris for keeping you around :face-icon-small-coo

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
Mr Polaris actually called me and told me they didn't do that stuff because he thought you were such a stand up guy Dan and didn't want you to go out business. By not fixing everything it makes you still look like a genius and allows you to make money off Polaris by doing your upgrades! Cheers to Mr Polaris for keeping you around :face-icon-small-coo

Unfortunately He doesn’t make any money off polaris, he makes off the rest of us smucks who buy an alleged poorly designed motor.

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
I find Dan to be opinionated at times, but I sent my clutch to him and am very happy, and I've seen very few complaints about any of his work or products. I'd guess he has higher customer satisfaction than Polaris. He might do better business by taking a different tact, but he's not selling coffee or designer clothes, so he can say pretty much anything and not lose that much business as long as he keeps doing good work and standing behind it.

As for the motor itself, I think the first year went well enough to call a success, and that 2020 addresses MOST of the issues that did come up. I'd guess the failure rate was elevated, but better if anything than the last few new motors Polaris has introduced. Really, the one big "I wonder" item is the cylinder wall finish. I have no way of telling if the one Dan showed pictures of is representative – maybe, maybe not, but it'd be interesting to compare the lifespan of one like that with a "fixed" one. Dan's finish has to help, but how much? As for a big bore, I've gotta agree with Dan on that. I'd guess Polaris had good reasons to stop at 840 – even OE attempts at over-850 motors seem pretty iffy, let alone aftermarket, and you know a both have been trying (and promising). A few people might find it's a good fit despite the drawbacks, but I'm betting twin pipes and/or a turbo will be a better cost/performance/longevity mix for most buyers looking for more.

B

bendelow

Nov 26, 2007
Cold starting

We absolutely could not start cold 850, till guide showed us a trick. He disconnected the fuel pump plug in, located above belt. Sled pull started immediately. He said the fuel pump was flooding engine.
Plugged fuel pump back in and it started normally all day.

Last edited:

indydan

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Custer, South Dakota
www.indyspecialty.com
Actually his posts just piss me off so I wouldn't buy from him if I had to. He says he has his employees to consider? They should take away his posting privileges to protect themselves.

Asking my employees to take away my posting privileges would be like asking Trumps base if they want his twitter account closed.

I wish it was truly possible to make everyone happy..... in business and in life in general.

AT 56 yers old I know that’s a complete joke ( impossible )

I can live with a certain number of people being pissed off at me, truth be told my shop is not big enough and I don’t have enough guys to make everyone happy..... I try really hard to make to stay on top of things and make people happy. ..... most often we do a better job at it then Polaris does.

I have some experience with Polaris motors that some people are interested in hearing..... I was not schooled and trained on how to elequently deliver it.... sorry about that.

Plus the election process has proved that just about exactly 50% of the people piss off the other 50% just solely based on how they think.

If you don’t mind...... I was wondering if you would mind answering 2 multiple choice question.

We are about the same age, ( which interests me ) questions are .....

1 - Who do you work for ?

A- self employed
B- work for private general business
C - government work
D - educational
F - pot growing company
E - work for a family built business built by pass family member

2 - who I your customer base you get your business from ?

A- general public
B - government contracts
C - the educational industry

Dan

Last edited:

indydan

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Custer, South Dakota
www.indyspecialty.com
I find Dan to be opinionated at times,

This is a true statment about some Polaris Snowmobiles motors .....

If they are one of the ones I work on a lot I have an opinion.

If we are talking about a topic I don’t know sh!t about I am not opinionated and I don’t have musics to say..... I would just a soon not be involved and go have a cocktail and relax.

If you go on any forum on any subject and you see someone post about a topic that is in there line of work you will find 100% are opinionated.... if they are not they don’t know sh!t about their field.

My 2 cents

Thank you so much Beartooth for your businesses !

Dan

Last edited:

cateye5312

Premium Member
Mar 28, 2009
Grand Junction CO
I own my own business with about 30 employees and roughly 2,500 clients. And yes my clients are the public. I do ok for myself.

Your long standing reputation of being the 'go to guy' on Polaris engines is slowly being replaced by this newer version of hostility and arrogance.

indydan

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Custer, South Dakota
www.indyspecialty.com
I own my own business with about 30 employees and roughly 2,500 clients. And yes my clients are the public. I do ok for myself.

Your long standing reputation of being the 'go to guy' on Polaris engines is slowly being replaced by this newer version of hostility and arrogance.

Your own business ... and 30 employees.

That is truly Awesome ! And I lack the ability to put into words on what it’s like to have to meet payroll on 30 people. It’s a over hanging burden that never goes away and few people can imagine.

I really do admire what you have accomplished!

There were several ways you could have answered the question, your answer caught me off guard.

And it makes me feel bad that how post pisses you off, I have been posting on snowest for maybe 20 years and I really don’t think about how I phrase my posts.

I believe that I have come to realize that no matter what questions anyone answers on a forum, or problems that are solved it will not help your phone and e-mail load at the shop...

Sled people want to talk sleds....... and I think I get aggressive because I want the info to slick.... so I never have to get into the same discussion twice.

Not how it works.

I am sorry for my arrogant delivery..... I truly don’t mean that way.

Again I am sorry for those who hate my delivery.

Not sure I can be fixed at 56 years old.

Dan

Last edited:

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
We absolutely could not start cold 850, till guide showed us a trick. He disconnected the fuel pump plug in, located above belt. Sled pull started immediately. He said the fuel pump was flooding engine.
Plugged fuel pump back in and it started normally all day.

Everytime we have seen one flooded we just turned off the ignition and puled 3 times with flipper at WOT and then turned back on and it started up on the 4th pull.

A
Everytime we have seen one flooded we just turned off the ignition and puled 3 times with flipper at WOT and then turned back on and it started up on the 4th pull.

I thought the same thing, until one went Rogue last month before the reflash.
It would not fire up no matter how many pills until that fuel pump got disconnected!
Haven’t herd of one with this issue that’s had the Polaris Reflash.

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
Just to be clear Dan, if anyone has a right to be opinionated when it comes to building motors, it's you! I've gained a lot of insight reading your posts over the years. Now and then I think you stick with something as the only possible explanation when there's more to the story, but even there I know you're coming from something you've seen work or not work in the past. Ultimately, I just wanted to point out that most of us don't care if you're "too hard" on Polaris or come across as arrogant when it comes down to business. And, for what it's worth, I think "defensive" is a better fit than "arrogant" – you have your ways and reasons, and fairly or unfairly, you're not afraid to tell someone to take a hike when they disagree.

As for the flooding issue, I remember some reports that if you held the flipper wide open and kept pulling with the key on, it'd start. Similar to starting a flooded carb sled – you get more air and the same amount of fuel (or maybe the ECU gives no fuel in that case, not sure). What Teth-Air is suggesting will definitely clear things up though; no need to disconnect anything. I've gotta imagine that's just a glitch in the startup fueling – should be an easy fix, and I'd be surprised if it continues on 2020 850s. The handful of 850s I've rode with never had a problem anyway though.

Norway

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
I have been posting on snowest for maybe 20 years and I really don’t think about how I phrase my posts.

Not sure I can be fixed at 56 years old.

Dan

On this:
I came onboard in -97, pretty sure you were here before me..
Remember Anthony Obertis "pre season training program"????

And yeah, at 56 just let it go..

But for all your rough shod writings.. I can't think of anyone that apologizes as much as you do here?

Me, I don't even see the language anymore. Just the info.

And you have warranty. On two-stroke sled engines..

Sugar coated or not, keep that intel comin boys and girls.

Cheers

Sent fra min S60 via Tapatalk

Premium Features