• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Pistons ?

gtwitch

Lifetime Membership
Jan 24, 2011
Laramie, Wyoming
I am going to freshen the top end on one of our PRO 800s (2012) which runs good but time to freshen with new pistons. I might use a FIX kit plate and use Arctic 800 cast pistons with the riser plate as I have one of those running right now (runs great) or I was wondering , will the 2017 Polaris AXYS 800 piston will work in the 12 PRO engine and no riser FIX-KIT plate??? The Polaris piston is cast but I do not know what the new AXYS piston ring gap closure looks like? Went to the dealer today but he does not have those in stock so I could not get a look at it.
gtwitch in wyoming

BILTIT

Premium Member
Apr 9, 2011
Lloydminster, SK
yes the new axys pistons will fit in the older pro's, the '15 pistons are cheaper than the axys though and have held up really well.

tuneman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2013
Minnesota
www.everettsports.net
The Wiseco SK1396 kit is just a bit over $200 and it comes with Teflon coated pistons, rings and all of the top end seals. I put the kit in my '12 at 1500 miles. Just shy of 4000 miles now and still running strong, great compression. I saw a very slight increase in response/hp and a huge vibration reduction. I highly recommend the kit.

gtwitch

Lifetime Membership
Jan 24, 2011
Laramie, Wyoming
Thanks for he replys!! I have a MTN TK fix kit with Weisco in our 10 Dragon and runs good but I prefer cast pistons (only because of the thermal issues) Just me! and I also have preference after some observations as to the type of ring end closure over the retaining pins and if you have looked at Cat pistons, this type of ring end closure, I prefer. again, just me, and years of my own experience. I will be looking at the AXYS 800 pistons as soon as I can locate one to look at!
gtwitch in wyoming

Snowmow

Lifetime Membership
Mar 20, 2011
Gillette, Wyoming
Might wanna check out Indy dans post on the subject before making a decision. Lots of good info to
Consider.

tuneman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2013
Minnesota
www.everettsports.net
Yes, Indy Dan makes some great points:

- If it's running fine, don't mess with it.
- Don't hone your cylinders.

Never hone a nikosil cylinder, unless you have the $100,000+ piece of equipment that Dan has. Just use a scotch Brite pad to lightly knock off the carbon on top and then hot soapy water. If you can feel a scratch with your fingernail, then send it to Indy Dan for proper honing.

I don't totally agree with the taper/tolerance aspect, however. I'm not easy on motors and I've had no issues with the Forged Wisecos after 2500 miles. My dad has the MTNTK kit on a 2013, with Wiseco Forged pistons, put on after 6700 miles. I think he's close to 9k now. He hammers on that thing all the time, even when cold. Makes me cringe, but it's still running strong. Go figure...

My sled had compression slightly down in a cylinder. That's why I put new pistons in. I think I said this previously, but I felt a slight improvement in hp and a huge improvement in vibration. My '13 still has stock pistons. If I fire up the 2 sleds, back to back to compare, it's incredible how much smoother the '12 runs.

D

Drewd

Feb 2, 2012
Colorado
www.imnotrightinthehead.com
Didn't hone the cylinders on my IQ 700 rebuild (used scotchbrite pad), clearances were perfect, and she runs like a champ.

I used cheap SPI pistons and time will only tell how long they last. Not worth investing in cast OEM or forged aftermarket for old iron anyway.

I'm of the opinion that properly clearanced forged pistons are ok as long as the engine is warmed up before hammering it.

all this talk of cast or forged scrub the cyls with a scotchbrite pad get a hg7 plateau finish WTH? some get lucky and have a long life and some dont.
when i put in weisco,s this winter a bit of honing was needed to get piston to sidewall clearance but next set of weiscos hopefully will be the same size and i,m only scrubing the cylinders in hot soapy water with a scotchbrite pad diagonaly.
i think troubles can be minimised by not shutting down a motor instantly after a hard run and always give them a moment to idle before moving out after sitting, impatent guys just should not have forged pistons,
i have some luck on my 12 with 6000 miles on it treating it that way along with the oiler turned up and adding oil into the gas tank.
good luck what ever you decide to run.

D

Drewd

Feb 2, 2012
Colorado
www.imnotrightinthehead.com
6000 miles out of a engine is incredible! I agree that a warmed up engine and waiting after a hot restart is essential to longevity.

Cold coolant sitting in the tunnel that rushes into a hot engine after a hot restart really kills engine longevity if you get into the throttle shortly thereafter. Its called shock cooling and something that pilots seem to understand better than most sledders.

gtwitch

Lifetime Membership
Jan 24, 2011
Laramie, Wyoming
All comments are valid and worthy of consideration and as I said before I have used Wiesco for years and had only some trouble with them and with the FiX kits, Wiesco on a couple (trouble with one and not on the other) with only Scotchbright finish and good bore to piston fit on both. Put SNO-X in one with FIX and had ring end closure problems and scored intake side right in line with both ring end closure/pins, so the replacement for that was Arctic with FIX Plate.
The 12 PRO I will be doing, I will look at bore and pistons first and if necessary Probably will not go with FIX Kit and might have Indy Dan Plateau hone and go back with Polaris PRO or AXYS pistons or maybe just Scotchbright and back with rings only. Thanks for the comments and keep them comming!
gtwitch in wyoming

gtwitch

Lifetime Membership
Jan 24, 2011
Laramie, Wyoming
snowmow, I have read and printed and saved all of Dan's posts and talk with him at least once a year for many years, he is my guru and my go to shop if i cannot do it myself.
gtwitch in wyoming

hamlin

Lifetime Membership
Sep 13, 2013
I had Indy dan put axys pistons in my 13 pro at 2000 miles. Stock ones were still fine just wanted reassurance. Over 3000 now still running great, I would do it again no question. The pistons were pricey about 250 each iirc.

Premium Features