• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Powderlites Nytro turbo oil out exhaust

yammi4ever

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Garwin, Iowa
Ok sled had sat outside for a week of warm weather then a little rain then cold. Started up to run in trailer and smoked me out. Fresh oil, enough to make your finger wet when wiping inside pipe. Will call Dave Monday and check with him but wondering what you guys think. Sled has a short 3000 miles and full synthetic it's entire life. Do I have a return oil pump gone bad (I still have mine mounted in the engine compartmen)' or do I have turbo oil seals gone bad?.

Thanks.

Kirk

G

GroundPounder

Aug 14, 2008
West Seneca, NY
Powderlites

When i had my powderlites kit, I had the same problem. I also had oil in the intercooler. I bought a new pump and mounted it in the rear of the sled with aeroquip hoses and fittings. I believe Dave's kits now mount the pump in the back

yammi4ever

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Garwin, Iowa
Should add I have noticed a little oil in the inter cooler before and this kit has been on sled since 0 miles.

Thanks

S

seano700

Dec 10, 2007
Peace River, Ab
Mine does the same thing

What your describing is normal (in my mind) with the PL kits.
My return pump is still up beside the sump in the engine compartment too.
When its really cold (-25 and below) the pump can't pull enough to scavenge the oil back until the sled warms up. The result is a little oil gets pushed through the seals into the charge tube and out the exhaust. Mines done this since day one.. Once they warm up a bit the pump will start clacking away as it should.

If it's now in your trailer be careful to idle it out.. I wacked the throttle in a buddies then spent 10min wiping the mess up :)

For some reason the PL kits don't like synthetic ether.. I ran Amsoil for a day and burned blue on start-ups regularily.. I went back to Yamalube in the silver bottle and haven't had an issues since other then above on cold starts.

J

judger101

Sep 2, 2008
Washburn, ND
I am having the same problem im my nytro mcx kit burning oil out exhaust and appears in intercooler as well im hoping its kinked return line? Would like to hear if anyone else has had this issue

yammi4ever

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Garwin, Iowa
What your describing is normal (in my mind) with the PL kits.
My return pump is still up beside the sump in the engine compartment too.
When its really cold (-25 and below) the pump can't pull enough to scavenge the oil back until the sled warms up. The result is a little oil gets pushed through the seals into the charge tube and out the exhaust. Mines done this since day one.. Once they warm up a bit the pump will start clacking away as it should.

If it's now in your trailer be careful to idle it out.. I wacked the throttle in a buddies then spent 10min wiping the mess up :)

For some reason the PL kits don't like synthetic ether.. I ran Amsoil for a day and burned blue on start-ups regularily.. I went back to Yamalube in the silver bottle and haven't had an issues since other then above on cold starts.

I should mention that this has never happened before. And on trips we have started in some pretty cold temps.

I will let it warm up some more next time and see for sure but this is a major change from normal. The trailer filled with smoke so bad I thought my buddies ac's were in there lol

graham_r

Lifetime Membership
Dec 6, 2008
British Columbia
Ok sled had sat outside for a week of warm weather then a little rain then cold. Started up to run in trailer and smoked me out. Fresh oil, enough to make your finger wet when wiping inside pipe. Will call Dave Monday and check with him but wondering what you guys think. Sled has a short 3000 miles and full synthetic it's entire life. Do I have a return oil pump gone bad (I still have mine mounted in the engine compartmen)' or do I have turbo oil seals gone bad?.

Thanks.

Kirk

I replaced the oil pump every season on my PL Nytro. the pump is $60 from Napa. The pumps burn out pretty easy

graham_r

Lifetime Membership
Dec 6, 2008
British Columbia
I don't sorry. But if u take yours in they should be able to figure it out. When I needed mine I called Dave and he gave me the part number

Premium Features