• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Broken Primary Clutch Springs ??

Murph

Polaris Moderator/ Polaris Ambassador/ Klim Amb.
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
4b2d7e4b-8c1c-8d6a.jpg

Broke my first spring (not pictured)

Three new springs on left. One old from last year on far right. Notice the construction differences on the two left versus two right?

The used one went 1000+ miles and the coils aren't in contact with each other. The other on the right is the same. The two on the left the beginning coils are tacked to the coil. Don't know if it makes a difference or not. All same part number 7043342. Rate is 140/330

skibreeze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2005
Colorado Springs
I was told its because I have a turbo on mine. "Theres no problem with the non-turbo sleds" I rode mine stock for 900 mile with the stock spring then turbo'd and I'm on my 5th springs this season. (26 days riding)

You know they are lying. I had a broken stock spring at 200 miles.

S

Super Sled

Jul 10, 2009
Duluth, MN
I'm using an Indy Dan Delrin washer on each side of a Speedwerx H5 125/340 spring, very similar to how CO 2.0 was recommending, and no issues so far with mine. I can't say if it's a permanent solution but working so far. As recommended, I always carry a spare spring with me when out riding. A quick spring swap is easy right off the sled -- just helps to have a buddy to hold the face of the primary straight and level as you start evenly tightening the bolts.

friscospices.com

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Nebraska
www.friscospices.com
I know they are lying, but what can a guy say? I think the unsprung height is a factor in the spring so it looks to me like they got a bunch manufactured that are not correct. But I have broken both so for me its just money I was saving on oil I spend on clutch springs LOL Someone will figure it out. Eric at VOLK told a friend they have had no issues with the boondocker set up.

Dan Corriveau

Lifetime Membership
Oct 17, 2009
I broke my first spring at about 300 miles which wrecked my clutch. Polaris gave me a new spring and clutch under warranty and I also installed one delrin washer from indy Dan. I now have 500 miles and I can see it wearing on the gold jam nut. I will try slimming down the nut and a new spring.

powder_bound

Lifetime Membership
Jan 11, 2011
reno, NV
http://img.tapatalk.com/4b2d7e4b-8c1c-
Three new springs on left. One old from last year on far right. Notice the construction differences on the two left versus two right?

The used one went 1000+ miles and the coils aren't in contact with each other. The other on the right is the same. The two on the left the beginning coils are tacked to the coil. Don't know if it makes a difference or not. All same part number 7043342. Rate is 140/330[/QUOTE]

Murph,

You may be onto something here, I checked my my springs tonight and its like ones to the right in your photo. I only have 150 miles on mine but almost no rub marks inside or out.

T

trackvs2wheels

Nov 26, 2007
Monument, CO
I personally don't think anyone ever figured out what the heck the deal is here...

Low snow year...I think people just took spares with them when they did ride and just kept replacing broken springs...

Not sure...I know they replaced my clutch and spring under warranty and I've ridden it about 100 miles and it hasn't broken yet...but I'm sure it will!

Sucks!

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
I've got 450 miles (on the pro) and 900 miles total on a H5 Speedwerx spring using metal glide washers on each side. Not one problem yet. Already posted info on it in this thread.

Premium Features