• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

pain getting belt on nytro

yammi4ever

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Garwin, Iowa
I have a shockwave with the AC green spring and it is almost impossible to to change belts. I usually just give up and pull the primary when i am doing maintenance in the shop.

Just looking for any tips some of you might use to make it easier if I ever do need to do it out in the woods someday. Good thing these things are easy on belts.

Thanks

kirk

A

allanhanes

Oct 22, 2008
Canada
belt change.

i drilled and taped shockwave adjuster on the helix for 1/4 thrads and just carry as bolt and usually have a 7/16 wrench on me or an all 16ths wrench too. work good.
Jamie

yammi4ever

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Garwin, Iowa
hmm ive never really had a problem, just have to push and make sure to hold the back of the clutch tight.

Send me a video I must be doing something wrong. Never had a real problem with nonturbo sleds but this turbo with stiffer spring wound pretty tight gives me fits all the time

yammi4ever

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Garwin, Iowa
i drilled and taped shockwave adjuster on the helix for 1/4 thrads and just carry as bolt and usually have a 7/16 wrench on me or an all 16ths wrench too. work good.
Jamie

I would love to see a pic of this if you can. I thought you Canadians were metric. What are you doing using standard threads lol.

Thanks

R
Dec 3, 2001
CO
yep, yamaha's are pita to change/remove belts.
specially turbos w/ stiff springs.

i'm not a big dude and it was never simple for me to do alone.

the drill/tap/bolt idea is prob the best yet. make it like it should be.
Doo and team/Pol have been doing it that way for quite a while.

Tuesday

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Lacombe, Alberta
Push in and clockwise on the helix and it should come right off. Put a little "man" on it and it will open right up and slip the belt out.

This is exactly what I do.......sheaves pop right open. I have seen all kind of people wrestle with belts then I show them that trick, bang opens right up.

As i push in and clockwise sometimes I use 1 hand on the inner sheave/belt and also rotate is clockwise.

Just make sure the lock the brake.

yammi4ever

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Garwin, Iowa
This is exactly what I do.......sheaves pop right open. I have seen all kind of people wrestle with belts then I show them that trick, bang opens right up.

As i push in and clockwise sometimes I use 1 hand on the inner sheave/belt and also rotate is clockwise.

Just make sure the lock the brake.

Ok ding ding ding....... The brake is what I have been missing. I saw a dealer mechanic years ago make it look so easy and I think hat is what I had forgotten. THE BRAKE. LOL. Hopefully this works as well with the shockwave as I remember him doing on stock apex. Thanks, I will try tomorrow and see how it goes.

yammi4ever

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Garwin, Iowa
i think someone is working on a tool for this with a alpine black turbo spring its a 2man job:jaw:

Yeah, I set the brake today and got the belt back on, but it was still no easy task. I would definitely be interested in this tool. I think the AC green is similar to the black alpine, but not sure.

For those who say it a easy no prob deal, feel free to post up a video showing how you do it without turning green and busting out of your clothes LOL.

Turbo sleds only

A

allanhanes

Oct 22, 2008
Canada
drill and tap

I will get you a picture as soon as i am in my shop next. I custom order standard bolts up here in canada. lol. i also did it to my skidoo as that shockwave does not have any easy way to unload the belt aswell.

S

SNAFU

Nov 26, 2007
Calgary
The only way I could do this with my shockwave and AC green spring was to put a wrench on one of the three bolts holding the helix on. Turn and push the helix in. Not sure this is the best method though. I am scared I may twist off one of the bolts so I am trying to figure out if there is a better technique.

P

pylon

Jan 16, 2009
in the triple slide
Orrrr you can use your foot . hold the brake stand next to the sled and push in and clock wise on the helix with your foot . belt come right off .

m8magicandmystery

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2008
Yukon
i lock the brake and use a rubber strap wrench on the helix and push as i turn...

the strap wrench grips good and gives leverage..

Mountaintech

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Bend OR
yep, yamaha's are pita to change/remove belts.
specially turbos w/ stiff springs.

i'm not a big dude and it was never simple for me to do alone.

the drill/tap/bolt idea is prob the best yet. make it like it should be.
Doo and team/Pol have been doing it that way for quite a while.

No more of a PITA than other brands. At least you don't need tools to change a Yamaha belt. Good technique is the key. Plus, belt changes are few and far between on Yammys. Haven't bought a belt in 3 years and I'm turboed (250+)

Premium Features