• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

yamaha and mpi turbo

T

TRUEBLUEMAX

Aug 4, 2010
Hooper, Utah
Don't mean to make you question yourself. I have ridden some 180 systems and they have plenty of power for the riding that I do. I was surprised how much 180 horses at altitude really feels like. One of the main reasons that I like the systems that leave the motor alone is that they don't kill the bottom end. Turbo lag may not be bad but the bottom end on the bigger kits is still softer that ones that leave the motor alone. For tree riding and the kind of stuff I do I will give up the top end to have better throttle response.

Have you ever ridden on of the 180 kits? I just think they are plenty unless you are a big climber.

tmk50

Lifetime Membership
Sep 20, 2001
Brighton, Colorado
Don't mean to make you question yourself. I have ridden some 180 systems and they have plenty of power for the riding that I do. I was surprised how much 180 horses at altitude really feels like. One of the main reasons that I like the systems that leave the motor alone is that they don't kill the bottom end. Turbo lag may not be bad but the bottom end on the bigger kits is still softer that ones that leave the motor alone. For tree riding and the kind of stuff I do I will give up the top end to have better throttle response.

Have you ever ridden on of the 180 kits? I just think they are plenty unless you are a big climber.

I agree with you 100% - I'm not a big climber and I spend a lot of time in the trees. When I tried out the 180 turbo last spring I went and rode exactly the way I typically ride on a trip (in the trees, boon docking, etc.). I found that the low speed poking around in the trees was very similar to a stock Nytro (with a little punch when needed which is fine with me).

It is great that there are so many choices for guys to choose from based on rider and riding area needs. 180 pump gas kits up to the crazy kits on the videos!

Last edited:

Matt@MPI

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2010
What I deal with on a daily basis is the guy who wants to boost his sled and figures since I’m doing it I might as well skip the low boost and go for at least 12psi. I rode are 180 turbo all last year and had a blast. Do I have access to the big boost stuff here in the shop? Sure I do but the 180 kit in my opinion it the perfect recipe. The nice thing about most of the 180 kits out there is you can upgrade them to 220+.

P

pelon

Oct 29, 2008
Billings Montana
My apex system is non -compensating and I can change my boost within seconds (simple turn of the knob). Who cares about elevation and auto compensation, just set your programming correctly, and choose the boost you want, given your conditions. I run elevations of 10000 to 12000ft with all the power I need.

Considering the Nytro 180 kit:
Both kits are great but only one auto compensates-----so what?
Figure out your needs for power, budget and go from there.

I am also somewhat torn with the decision on my new Nytro, but I guess we will all figure it out from here.

T

TNytro162

Feb 6, 2011
Northern Colorado

No I havent trueblue,,your right about the riding you do and I also do a little of everything. I dont do the big hill climbs getting to old for that,,,let the young one's do that ha ha,,,otherwise I'd be going for the 270 for sure. I'm just an old racer on asphalt and I love the speed and power. I just didn't want to be disapointed. Like you say the 180 with the altitude conpensator might be just right, that's why I got the MCxpress kit and easy to upgrade.

T

TNytro162

Feb 6, 2011
Northern Colorado
Another reason I went with the MCx kit is they have a oil return pump that I believe the Push kit did not and last time I asked at MPI they did not have one on there kit either. I heard it was because yamaha wanted to keep the cost down on the kit. Is that right Matt?? I guess I didn't want to depend on vacume getiing the oil back.:face-icon-small-con

Premium Features