• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

MCX 180 UPGRADE KITS???

K

Keithcat

Nov 27, 2007
Has anyone been selling them this year?

MCX 180 to 240/270 kits???

Any information, pricing would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Keith

( The 180 kit is impressive ) But you know....lol:face-icon-small-ton

G

GSR

We built one up a few weeks ago here at Mountain Motorsports, Golden BC.
Customer rode it as a 180 kit all last season and wanted an upgrade.
Was a full day labor plus conversion kit.
We recommend doing driver / track change at the same time (additional).
Amazing sled just got crazier!

K

Keithcat

Nov 27, 2007
Thanks,

I did the track upgrade before the first ride. Im glad that I did.

I kept the stock 2010 drivers on it with the 180 kit. Never once did I ever feel it skip. But I can see a little bit of wear on the drive side. I think at this level you could get away with it for a year or 2. Maybe longer with the stock track. But anyway, I agree on the upgrade.

What did you end up running for gearing?

I went taller than stock at first ( I think 21 ) and it felt very nice. But after long pulls in super deep powder the belt gave away. I went back to the stock gear ( 19? ) and was able to pull super long WOT pulls all day long in the deep.

Thanks Cody for the information. Your responce time on emails has been super quick. Its appreciated.

Keith

B
Dec 18, 2007
I got 1500 tough kms on my stock drivers on our 240 h.p. shop sled. They are toast now and had to run the track pretty tight for the last couple of rides but for something intended to handle 130 H.P. I was impressed. Alow 6-8 hours to install the upgrade kit then hang on !!

LL

P

paulharris

Dec 12, 2007
Colorado
All of my riding is at 10,000-12,000 feet. could i run anything more than the 180 kit on a nytro without doing a headshim? i dont want to run a head shim and dont want to run race fuel. Thanks for any input

T

TRUEBLUEMAX

Aug 4, 2010
Hooper, Utah
I am in the same position. I would like a setup that is in the 210 hp range without the head shim and race fuel. I also run pretty high most of the time. I think the stage 1 supercharger doesn't require race fuel and it is supposed to run 220 hp but not sure what elevation you are getting 220 hp out of that setup.

M
Jan 14, 2004
Don't confuse HP with boost. The HP will be unaffected by elevation where as the boost will change. The MCX 180 kit is designed to make 180 at any elevation. You will see higher boost levels riding at 10 - 12000 feet than a someone riding at sea level but both sleds will be making 180 hp. You will be just as suceptible to detonation as the sea level guy running the same fuel. The only way to truly increase the power safely is to run higher octane fuel or lower the compression ie head shim. In simplistic terms boost just increases the compression ratio and higher compression needs higher octane no way around it. The Nytro might survive up to 220 HP on stock compression with a super or turbo but you'd be asking for trouble IMO. MCX came up with the 180 number for a reason, the question really is what is their safety margin.

M5

R

ROBERTSONYAMAHA

Oct 28, 2010
Swift Current,SK
180HP on pump gas without a headshim is about all you can get out of a Nytro. Take that kit and turn up the boost to run 200+ on pump and it will detonate. To run 200+ you have 2 options, go with the 240 kit with a headshim or run race gas. The only downfall to the 2nd one I believe it you can push much more power anyways with the MCX-180 because injectors cant push anymore fuel. Its pretty much maxed at 180hp. landon can probably chime in here and confirm/correct me. Just getting back into Mid-season turbo questions mode.

P

paulharris

Dec 12, 2007
Colorado
Don't confuse HP with boost. The HP will be unaffected by elevation where as the boost will change. The MCX 180 kit is designed to make 180 at any elevation. You will see higher boost levels riding at 10 - 12000 feet than a someone riding at sea level but both sleds will be making 180 hp. You will be just as suceptible to detonation as the sea level guy running the same fuel. The only way to truly increase the power safely is to run higher octane fuel or lower the compression ie head shim. In simplistic terms boost just increases the compression ratio and higher compression needs higher octane no way around it. The Nytro might survive up to 220 HP on stock compression with a super or turbo but you'd be asking for trouble IMO. MCX came up with the 180 number for a reason, the question really is what is their safety margin.

M5

Im Not sure this is correct. If this is true, then why does the Yamaha/Push 180 turbo kit say it can only be used above 6000 feet?? A 180 turbo nytro running at sea level should be way more likely to detonate than the same sled running at 12,000 feet. I understand that the boost compensates for the elevation change but the air is much thinner. Thoughts?

Last edited:
M

Moosehumper

Mar 27, 2009
In a van, down by the river!
Thoughts - I don't thinkl the Push system auto compensates for air pressure like the the MCX. The Push must be set at a certain boost level to work above 6000ft.

This thread wasn't about comparing though it was about upgrading the MCX 180.

M
Jan 14, 2004
Thoughts - I don't thinkl the Push system auto compensates for air pressure like the the MCX. The Push must be set at a certain boost level to work above 6000ft.

This thread wasn't about comparing though it was about upgrading the MCX 180.

Correct. The MCX kit varies boost with elevation, that is one of the best features of the MCX over others. If you took the valve out of your MCX system and replaced it with a manual boost controller it would behave the same as all the other systems out there. The 180 kit likely runs between 5.5 and 7 lbs at sea level but I'm just guessing here as to the number, regardless it'll still make 180 hp. Elevation makes a huge difference in O2 content. Boost means nothing by itself especially when you don't comapre the same turbos. What you are really intested in are LBS of Air moved by the turbo. Thinner air (ie air at elevation) is also lighter so to make the 180 HP it takes just say for argument sake 10lbs of air. At sea level the turbo can shove 10 LBS of air into the motor using only 6 lbs of boost but at 12,000 feet it may need as much as 9 or 10 lbs of boost to move the same 10 lbs of air into the motor in the same amount of time. Check out a compressor map on say the Garrett turbos website and look at the scales on the graphs, it may make more sense.

M5

Last edited:
B
Dec 18, 2007
The 180 H.P. number was chosen for two reasons. 1) that is pushing the stock fuel system to 90% of its capacity. Regardless of octane lean is lean. I wouldn't want to own anything with a $5000 engine that runs on the ragged edge. 2) This is where the running compression hits the end of its safe point regardless of octane. Running Straight C16 may buy you some time but engine failure will occur eventually above the 180 HP mark and a guy only has to buy so many barrels of race fuel before the 240 upgrade is paid for. We have over 400 of these kits out on the snow in the season and a half that we have offered it with incredible feedback. I find most of the guys wanting to know about bumping the power levels haven't ridden one. I have never seen a better example of a sled needing power on paper over achieving on the snow.

LL

S

SNAFU

Nov 26, 2007
Calgary
I am really happy with my 180 kit. The altitude compensated boost controller works really well. According to my gauge, the kit makes about 6-7 psi of boost at the bottom of the trail (1500 ft) and about 9 psi at our riding altitude of 6500 ft.

djones000buck

Premium Member
Oct 15, 2010
Birch Run, Michigan
mcx upgrade

I like my 180 kit as well, '09 nytro mtx, timbersled and other goodies...

Upgrade kit to 240 from an authorized distributor is about 1800 ish, but you have to trade in a few of your 180 kit parts, plenum, waste gate actuator, remap ecu. additional 500 ish gets you the fuel injectors and fuel pump to go to 270.

If you're tearing it down anyway whats another 5 hundo imo, (seeing as how you need to plan on losing thousands anyway, right?!) but the other goodies you (I) will want to do are going to add up fast too...

On my way to 270... :face-icon-small-hap

Attachments

• IMAG0146.jpg
    IMAG0146.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 109
  • IMAG0150.jpg
    IMAG0150.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 73
Premium Features