• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

MPI turbo 850 400 miles report

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
Put the MPI kit on with 40 miles on the sled. Have loved this sled with boost. Pull the rope and go. Havent opened the hood other than to check on my belt. Original belt with 400 miles of boosted powder riding. In the trees throttle response is amazing. Playing on the turbo 850 is a dream, has the power at 10,000 feet you really want to pull off any move. Can't get any videos that really do it justice.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxareB_-jtQcVzl3Nm9POEJzSm8/view

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
Yes it's the loud muffler. I have the clutching as close as I can for now. Aren't a lot of parts for the pdrive yet (springs or weights). I'm really happy with how snappy It is in the mid range tree riding. What I'm most happy with is 91 octane pump gas for those 400 miles. Don't like the hassel of race gas, although 10lbs of boost would be really fun to try. Got rear torsion as stiff as I can and the limiter sucked up and that has really helped the wheelie factor, it's very manageable now.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
How is the very bottom? That split second over engagement. I'm not a big fan of sucking up the limiter. This might be what I throw at it for next year. A buddy has one of bryce's kits and runs awesome. Have you been around any of them? I haven't rode with him since he installed it.

F
Nov 27, 2007
medicine hat
Manageable in a controable environment, how about in the deep and steep, that's where I seen even stockers a real handful with stock skid

Been around 10 lbs on the Etec 800 last few rides and it's pretty dam sweet, not sure how much I want to go less.. I am getting away with strait av and can buy it bulk at the airport so not much a inconvenience other than costing a bit more..

So what boost are you running on average, and elevations?? Was out with a few other 850 kits and they seam to work well, and no rods I have heard yet have left the motor..

What's the thickness of the reeds needed to turbo??

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Put the MPI kit on with 40 miles on the sled. Have loved this sled with boost. Pull the rope and go. Havent opened the hood other than to check on my belt. Original belt with 400 miles of boosted powder riding. In the trees throttle response is amazing. Playing on the turbo 850 is a dream, has the power at 10,000 feet you really want to pull off any move. Can't get any videos that really do it justice.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxareB_-jtQcVzl3Nm9POEJzSm8/view

Hopefully we will install this kit on one of our three 850's next weekend

2Huskies

Lifetime Membership
Jul 19, 2009
Rigby, Idaho
I'm sure that young Chris will be posting up photos and follow ups in detail on this install pretty soon.

Actually Christopher took most of the pictures while I did the install.

It was kinda hard to do the install and shoot the pictures at the same time. lol

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
How was the install?
Took us about 12 hours real time to get it done.
Not terribly hard or difficult at all.
So long as you have all the tools on hand and needed extra parts, then it moves right along. We spent most of Friday working on it, and then a few hours on Saturday, and had it all wrapped up Saturday afternoon.

The real question is how the 3 850's will perform side-by-side this weekend.

YAMA S

Lifetime Membership
May 16, 2012
W. Wa.
So long as you have all the tools on hand and needed extra parts, then it moves right along.

WTF do you mean by extra "parts" needed? If you buy a turbo kit it should have ALL the effing parts needed to fully install it..... unless you're doing a one off custom.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
WTF do you mean by extra "parts" needed? If you buy a turbo kit it should have ALL the effing parts needed to fully install it..... unless you're doing a one off custom.

The kit comes setup for you to install an AFR GAUGE SENSOR in the Exhaust pipe. You will either need to install the sensor or install a bolt to block it off.

That was the ONE item the kit did not include. Though I believe you CAN order an AFR gauge directly from MPI.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Amazon, $6/free-ship-prime
http://a.co/4ly7lxM

51ZS0N1OidL._SX425_.jpg

$8/free-ship-prime
http://a.co/cLTo1Hm

414EObJHX5L.jpg

Last edited:

snow4shover

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
Belgrade, Mt
Protect Your Investment

<h1><b>Air Fuel Gauge</b></h1>
There are already several spots on the GEMS harness to get power and ground to run an Air Fuel Gauge. I personal like to protect my investment.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
Chris, (Shover)
What do you think about the long term accuracy of the typical Bosch Lambda sensor left in the oily exhaust stream of this eTec ?

A few years back, in a conversation with Bosch, I was told that the sensors will function and then degrade without the ability to know when they will start to provide inaccurate information.... and noted oil blow-by as the #1 killer of accurate readings.

Kind of the basic concern on monitoring 2 stroke exhaust. I've always been dubious of people saying "I've been running a AF-gauge on my 2-S for for years without issue" when they've never done a comparison to a fresh sensor. For me, I feel that on a 2 cycle engine, the commonly avail AFR gauges are great tuning tools, but not to leave the sensor in the exhaust stream.

I know you are in the business, and much more experienced with the "hands on" control and monitoring systems than me... so I would defer to you, sincerely, with a thoughtful explanation of this if you can take a few minutes to help me understand better...

Last edited:

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
Yea that was exactly what I was planning to do until Andra come through on one!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Slash Rocks !

As your situation was already sorted, my post was mostly intended to help others that may have an MPI kit to install and are in need of the plug.

I believe you can also get these at AutoZone/Oreilly as well if you look.... Some oil plugs, as mentioned above are M18x1.5 as well... Dorman brand has lots of these to offer.. though they are steel and not stainless like the hex-plug above and can corrode in an exhaust fairly fast. The $6 plug above is also mild steel.

Good idea to also get a matching 18mm soft copper sealing-washer to put under the plug... acts to seal and also, when compressed, helps to keep it from vibrating loose. Sealants will burn out in a short time.

I prefer the Stainless plugs like this one from above

Last edited:
Premium Features