• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2016 Axys Reverse Issue?

C
Jan 13, 2009
Coalville, Ut
When using the reverse button towards the end of last season (April) my motor would just die. Then after 4-5 attempts of the reverse it would finally go into reverse, but understanding each time you tried the reverse button the motor would die. I also noticed variability in RPM's from 1400-1850. In April I took it to two different Polaris dealers to adjust the TPS and still it did basically the same thing. The second Polaris dealer upon further investigation found the crank lower mag side rod bearing was failing which was determined that the factory had hooked the oil lines incorrectly. Dealer changed crank out and still doing the same thing with reverse not working. So the dealer today has changed out the reverse button, two new pistons even though compression was OK, new stator, new magneto, new Polaris pipe/muffler, new fuel rail, new throttle bodies, new fuel pump/filter, it is still doing the same thing with reverse. Forgot to mention the dealer has totally inspected the wiring harness and all connections/plugs have been taken apart and put back together with dielectric grease. Dealer now changing out the wiring harness today. Needless to say dealer is extremely frustrated with the ME, Polaris and the entire process. Can anyone think of anything else that it could be that Polaris, and the dealer hasn't already tried? I'm thinking this sled was built on a Monday after a Viking loss! Thanks in advance!:juggle:

Indy_500

Lifetime Membership
Jul 8, 2011
Greenville, WI
If it were my sled and they dug that deep, I would've had them physically show me the tps numbers they recorded. I wouldn't doubt it still being off.

cascadesnowjunky

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2007
Kennewick WA
I know it's sounds far fetched but make sure the belt is not dragging on the primary clutch. Check the belt to sheave clearance. Have you changed to a different brand belt? If it is to wide and dragging it will cause this. Sounds like low idle or tps issue though. I am curious to hear what it is, keep us updated.

Cinno

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Stillwater,Mn
There are a couple of big capacitors in the power circuits that maybe weak. Maybe they can't maintain proper voltage during the reverse cycle. There is a test in the manual to verify good/bad.

Cinno

Cinno

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Stillwater,Mn
another idea is to pull the load shed relay out temporally, it disables the head light and hand warmers to shed load below a certain speed. If it is shorted those loads maybe to much for the motor during reverse.

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
I would bet its still the TPS setting. You have a "BASE" and "IDLE" setting. All the dealers do is hook up the digital wrench and see what the Idle setting is and adjust if needed. They skip step one, which is setting the base voltage.

They just keep throwing parts at it like every dealership does. Its not that hard to diagnose something, especially if you can duplicate the symptom that easily. Eric

Flyn Or Dyn

Lifetime Membership
Mar 29, 2009
Wisconsin
Dies in reverse

I had a 2013 pro that did the same thing to me. It is very frustrating because multiple dealers around me had no idea, In fact the closest dealer to me - Trackside in Eagle River WI. told me to go elsewhere they would not work on my sleds no more - Don't come back. We finally tracked it down to the ECU. There are some power capacitors that store power or electricity for the brief second that the engine shuts down and powers back up. I'm no mechanic to know how it exactly works but something to that effect. They replaced the ECU and it worked ever since.

damx

Lifetime Membership
Feb 13, 2011
Mine did this, tps needed to be set up. Also with a new belt on my rpm would be very low as my clutch to belt clearance was way to tight. Making reverse a pain. But indy specialies fixed that issue..

Premium Features