• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Lightning weights or IS new turbo weight

KAWGRN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
everywhere
Just got my new weights from Dan and am excited to give them a try, I have 72.5-76 graham lightning weights, but will give these a try,if you lay them on top of each other they are the same as the lightning except for the tit for the magnet to set in, they will still need to have the spider shimmed like the lightnings so I think either will work after shimming, I also have some weights from hot seat performance( pre speedwerx) back in the day that also look like they will work, have these in72-78 also, it seems like clutching these turbos are like clutching my old 600 Indy triple I once had with an aero on it, was racing at the airport in west Yellowstone back in 83,,,, those were the days changing pistons daily LOL,,,,, any way, working on clutches tomorrow night and will see how it ends up, I have 3 Axsys primary's to play with, will see how the shimming turns out?

IMG_0548.jpg IMG_0546.jpg IMG_0547.jpg IMG_0545.jpg

Last edited:
S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
If your not using the Lightning weights I will buy them from you.

Even though those weights appear similar. They will act nothing alike. They aren't even close. Each will require a completely different set up. Also there is a good chance they will shim different.

Something as simple as drilling out one of the Lightning weights holes bigger than another can completely change it. A head to head test isn't realistic unless you have a set up for both.

Last edited:

KAWGRN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
everywhere
Sorry, but I don't sell my tunning parts it seems like sooner or later I always need them again, like now?

tdbaugha

Lifetime Membership
Apr 18, 2009
USA
The 76 gram lightnings you have, those are original TCP lightning weights that weigh 76 grams?

KAWGRN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
everywhere
the ones pictured are the 72.5 but yes I have those to,,, all TCP's and no not for sale

Last edited:

KAWGRN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
everywhere
Even though those weights appear similar. They will act nothing alike. They aren't even close. Each will require a completely different set up. Also there is a good chance they will shim different.

Something as simple as drilling out one of the Lightning weights holes bigger than another can completely change it. A head to head test isn't realistic unless you have a set up for both.[/QUOTE]

I didn't say they would act the same, but I will find out how much different they are, and if the heels are the same and the tips are in the same place I believe they will shim the same, where the roller rests is the same when sitting in the clutch, and if memory serves me the TCP weights were tucked and will require a pretty light initial spring

Last edited:

KAWGRN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
everywhere
Ok, after much shimming I have one clutch set up for 10 series weights and similar ,set at about 10-12 thou belt clearance, second clutch set up for lightning weights, at 10 tho clearance, and with the IS weights its at 12 tho clearance, same shimming, this shimming also works on my Hot seat weights, also have 3 secondary's to work with, just waiting on the different helix's to ship from venom.I can see why the lightning weights work well now, they are slippery engaging and because of the full tip shift hard up top, they worked good on an SLP 707 I had,,, no bottom end till about 6500 then pulled my arms off , I think thats why I had these weights come to think of it!

Last edited:

KAWGRN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
everywhere
I orderd 6 different ones 3 for the tucked in weights and 3 for the 10 series weights so 12 different angles

KAWGRN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
everywhere
Was worried when I went to balance the clutch as it was way out, then realized I mixed up covers between 2 clutches! Stupid me! And this is one of the hot seat weights that actually has a slug of tungsten in the tip, wonder if they have some hidden somewhere?this weight shims like the lightning weight too.meaning it to is tucked under.

IMG_0556.jpg IMG_0552.jpg

Last edited:

KAWGRN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
everywhere
Ok drilled the 70's and added Yamaha rivets at 5g and SLP rivets at 3 and now the light innings weigh 78.5,,,lots of weight choices! Wish I could get some old comet hammerheads that weight in the 70's first tunning trip will be verry busy!

IMG_0623.jpg IMG_0624.jpg IMG_0622.jpg

KAWGRN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
everywhere
That's OK ,,,I have more, just need to try them and see what happens,I drilled the 70 because I never found a use for the 70's,,man we need snow!

Last edited:

Dirty Steve

Lifetime Membership
Feb 3, 2012
Central MN
I just ran the IS Turbo Weights yesterday. Took a break for lunch for about an hour. When we took off the engagement RPM seemed high and harsh. As the day went on it was getting higher. It was up to 5800 RPM.

Pulled everything apart and had to use a brass punch to get two of the weights out. Then I noticed that these weights don't use bushings. There was some galling and rust forming on the weight bolts and they were sticking and squeaking. This can't be right...

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
d3a6b8e40aa52a2beabc1b52289fa9dd.jpg

562xp

Lifetime Membership
Dec 19, 2012
I would drill out the weight pin hole to fit a bushing and give that a try. Or what about some ti pins?

S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
What sled did you put the IS weights on? How old is it? When was the last time you replaced the pins?

No bushing is because pins outlast bushings all day long.

Dirty Steve

Lifetime Membership
Feb 3, 2012
Central MN
What sled did you put the IS weights on? How old is it? When was the last time you replaced the pins?

No bushing is because pins outlast bushings all day long.
It's a 16 Axys. 650 miles and the weights were installed by Indy Specialty when they serviced the clutch.

KAWGRN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
everywhere
is that after the first ride after sittin all summer?? and 5800 engagement ? what did it normally engage at?? and what spring??

I just ran the IS Turbo Weights yesterday. Took a break for lunch for about an hour. When we took off the engagement RPM seemed high and harsh. As the day went on it was getting higher. It was up to 5800 RPM.

Pulled everything apart and had to use a brass punch to get two of the weights out. Then I noticed that these weights don't use bushings. There was some galling and rust forming on the weight bolts and they were sticking and squeaking. This can't be right...

d3a6b8e40aa52a2beabc1b52289fa9dd.jpg

Dirty Steve

Lifetime Membership
Feb 3, 2012
Central MN
Turns out the weights I was sent did not get properly hardened. They are sending another set. I am still a little leery about running no bushings in the weights. Metal on metal just doesn't seem right for something that moves as much as this.

Premium Features