• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Do-able on a snowbike....

F
Nov 26, 2007
Murray Utah
Im impressed. We ran into a pair of snowbikes late Friday in eastern Idaho. We were looking for a downhill route since my oil line had sprung a leak, drained the tank, torched the bearings and my turbo dragon wasnt able to climb. when we asked the snowbikers if the canyon they had climbed up was a good way down they said it was "do-able" on a sled. After 90 minutes and a vertical drop of 3,000' in just under 3 miles I have to admit those bikes are freakin mountain goats! They might not be as fast as sleds but I was stunned at where they could go. I'll be trying one soon.

D

DieselTwitch

Dec 23, 2007
Gunnison, Colorado
I run into this all the time. Its a different sport. Sleds are great for climbing lines and doing awesome powder turns all day long. and while seeds are good in the trees with the right right. Bikes are almost the complete flip of that. We excel in the tight, narrow and twisted lines. Its a more tactical sport. Now there are those that are taking it to the big area level like regan and the guy that just did the first back flip on a snowbike. but for the vast majority of snowbikers (IMO) are big on the technical terrain they ride. how steep, how tight in the trees can we get.

Have you tried one yet? Thats the other advantage, the learning curve for SB (Snowbikes) is 5 min to get the basics and 4 or 5 rides to really get 95% of it down. where riding speeds takes years and years to just turn correctly. I think the learning curve is really the firewall to sledding

S
Dec 7, 2015
yep

Snowbikes can get into some amazing places, places no sled has gone before. That being said it is a totally different way of traveling. A fairly stock sled will dominate all but the most insanely built snowbikes in a straight up climb. Snowbikes shine when you learn to use the whole mountain, sidehilling is easy and trees are where it is at. Those guys you ran into probably didn't go straight up the nasty canyon you had to come down, they got to put fresh tracks all over that thing on the way up:face-icon-small-ton

Premium Features