• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Opinions pleas

W
Oct 7, 2017
Alaska
My name’s Wyatt and I’m new to the forum. I recently purchased a 2010 RMK 800 Dragon, that needs to be rebuilt. I know a lot of you are probably thinking “why would you buy a sled with a blown motor?” Well I like to work on atvs and snowmobiles when I have free time, gives me more satisfaction when I’m riding and I know who has worked on it and that I’m not getting screwed when it comes to labor costs.

Here’s the question. I am looking at the “fix it” kits and can’t decide whether to do the MTNTK or Dragon Saver and if I do the Dragon Saver, do I get the weisco or snow x kit? If you have anything negative to say about the sled I bought don’t bother replying, everyone has their own biased opinion about sleds, just looking to see if anyone has pros and cons to these kits. Thanks in advance.

W
Oct 7, 2017
Alaska
Thanks, I’m trying not to dump a bunch of money into it, just want something to ride. Started taking it apart today and whoever put it together last stripped on of the Allan bolts that hold the injectors in. Any recommendations on how to get it out? Pistons don’t look too bad, going with the MTNTK kit as long as the cylinders don’t have any issues.

W
Oct 7, 2017
Alaska
Update

Here’s a quick update. Pulled the top end of the motor off, there was a spacer underneath (like the one that comes with the fix kit), one cylinder looks like moguls on a dirt bike track, the other cylinder is completely smooth on one side. To the point where there are no piston ring grooves. Next project is to pull everything out and open the crank case. This is just to make sure there is nothing damaged on the bottom half of the motor. Any suggestions if there is?

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
It's a can of worms if the bottom end is hurt. You need to figure out why it chewed the piston apart... might be fuel filter which is simple or it might be injectors. It is worth having the injectors tested/cleaned for sure.

sled_guy

W
Oct 7, 2017
Alaska
I’ll definitely get that done, thanks for the tip. The guy I bought it from said it might be an oil pump issue. He also told me a local Polaris shop rebuilt the top end 100 miles ago, I called them and they said when they do rebuilds they only use OEM parts, so if there is a space and stock pistons I’m assuming it wouldn’t hold up well due to the length of the piston and the added length of the cylinder with the spacer. And if they didn’t use OEM pistons I would like to know which brand they used so I can avoid those.

Mentzel

Lifetime Membership
Oct 10, 2009
I had a 2010 Assault and loved it! I never used fix kit. I ran slp stage 2/3 pipe and power commander v for 4 years. Stock fuel mapping was lean at 3/4 throttle and rich on top. Tear it down and inspect everything! US chrome is a great source for reasonable cost nicasil cylinder swaps. Stock or Wiseco pistons work fine. Buy power commander and pipe and make sure you get PCV for cfi-4 engine. Allows you to change mapping on all 4 injectors vs cfi-2. (2 injectors)

The slp kit includes fuel map for PCV that corrected the 3/4 lean issue.

You can make this sled real fun on the cheap..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Premium Features