• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

GGB mountain can with SLP pipe?

R
Feb 18, 2016
I currently have a SLP sage two kit on my sled (pipe and can) I recently was given (sponsorship) a mountain can from GGB. Does anyone have an opinion about using the SLP with the GGB can? Or should i just put the stock pipe back on with the GGB can.

Murph

Polaris Moderator/ Polaris Ambassador/ Klim Amb.
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
I currently have a SLP sage two kit on my sled (pipe and can) I recently was given (sponsorship) a mountain can from GGB. Does anyone have an opinion about using the SLP with the GGB can? Or should i just put the stock pipe back on with the GGB can.

Yes, please don't do it. The GGB mountain can is an ear splitter. It has no place on public lands

J

jrk

Nov 26, 2007
This directly from SLP:

"....The pipe and silencer are tuned as a unit and that does help us achieve better power bands and increased hp. Changing the silencer will change the flow and pulse which can result in reducing dependability, drivability and hp loss. On EFI systems it will also change the fuel requirement so the EFI map may not be within parameter with the altered silencer. Even silencer to pipe mounting variances can stress the pipe or Y pipe and cause breakage or chassis fit issues. We do not recommend altering the silencer in any way. Doing so will also void any warranty that would be
available from SLP....."

With that being said, I don't think it worth trying to mix and match at the sacrafice of reliability or HP....after all.....isnt that the reason you bought the pipe for in the first place??

If you aren't satisfied with the SLP silencer that came with the pipe, look into their new competition series silencer. It has been tested and validated to work with THEIR pipe.

S
Oct 9, 2012
I ran a GGB can on my '16 Axys at the start of the of season last year. I actually like a throaty pipe, which it certainly was... But I have to say it was too loud. I found I was actually getting a "ringing" in my right ear after a long day of riding.
I made the decision to move to a full SLP System. I brought the sled to VOHK in Kremling CO (SLP System, tune, Clutch kit). It made a noticeable difference.
I'd highly recommend you stick with the SLP Stage 2, it's a far better setup.

SLP

Premium Member
Hey guys, just saw your thread and thought I might add a little more info for you.

We realize that there are some of you out there that like the louder sound of a straight through type silencer rather than the baffled type body we typically sell. We also want to make sure that you have a silencer that is matched to the tune of the pipe and that won't affect any SLP warranty on your pipe set as mentioned above.

For those reasons we have added a new version of our muffler that we call the "Competition Series Ultra-Lite" Silencers:

Competition Series Ultra-Lite Silencer

They are tuned to work properly with our pipes and give you a louder exhaust note. If you are looking to go louder and lighter weight (about 2 lbs.) I would HIGHLY recommend our new Competition Series Muffler rather than adding a different brand silencer to our pipe.

Attachments

• 09-324.jpg
    09-324.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 71

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
Hey guys, just saw your thread and thought I might add a little more info for you.

We realize that there are some of you out there that like the louder sound of a straight through type silencer rather than the baffled type body we typically sell. We also want to make sure that you have a silencer that is matched to the tune of the pipe and that won't affect any SLP warranty on your pipe set as mentioned above.

For those reasons we have added a new version of our muffler that we call the "Competition Series Ultra-Lite" Silencers:

They are tuned to work properly with our pipes and give you a louder exhaust note. If you are looking to go louder and lighter weight (about 2 lbs.) I would HIGHLY recommend our new Competition Series Muffler rather than adding a different brand silencer to our pipe.

Really???!!
I have always been a fan of you guys there at SLP . . until now. In my humble opinion, making a LOUDER can is a BIG mistake, and only contributes to the problem we already have with riding areas being closed or potentially closed due to LOUD exhaust on sleds. I understand the "business" end of things in that selling this LOUDER can will bring in some revenue, but this puts you in the position of CONTRIBUTING to the problem rather than being a SOLUTION to the problem.

How about thinking FORWARD and coming up with a pipe / can combo that is QUIETER?

Sage Crusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2010
Rock Springs,Wyoming
Last edited:

beamslayer

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
So how many of you running full SLP have to run Octane booster or Ave gas ? I am running 91 oct non ethanol and riding at 3000 to 6000 ft with a resister 16 axyz 163 68 gr rooster weights pulling 8450

T
Sep 10, 2009
Yes, please don't do it. The GGB mountain can is an ear splitter. It has no place on public lands

Agree, Agree, Agree. In my opinion, it is not OK for a company to be producing a product that goes against what every sledder is fighting for (access) and be proud to advertise it as, "Mountain Loud."

Colbymh

Lifetime Membership
Sep 1, 2018
Oregon
The environmentalists are more concerned if u break a branch or disturb dirt or water than a loud exhaust.

Murph

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
The environmentalists are more concerned if u break a branch or disturb dirt or water than a loud exhaust.

Having just come out of yet another USFS Stakeholder meeting -- which means I had to sit across the table from Winter Wildlands Alliance, Snowlands Network, Wilderness Society, etc-- with the USFS regarding the OSV travel management plan for the Tahoe National forest, I can tell you that "quiet recreation" is the new battle cry of the non-motorized community.

Loud exhaust is their number one complaint because it is arbitrary and easy for them to say it disturbs their "experience".

In the last 5 years, I have spent hundreds (yes, hundreds) of hours in USFS meetings, driving hours one way to neighboring Forest meetings, and at home preparing maps, counter arguments, and defending the rights of snowmobilers to recreate on PUBLIC lands.

Snowmobilers are the only user group that gets punished as a group versus the individual offender. Loud cans and riding in closed areas by an INDIVIDUAL can get an area closed to an ENTIRE USER GROUP.

Loud cans contribute to land closures EVERYWHERE in the intermountain west. Loud cans have no place in public lands.

Anyone who tells you otherwise is misinformed.

xmk1080

Lifetime Membership
Sep 23, 2008
Really???!!
I have always been a fan of you guys there at SLP . . until now. In my humble opinion, making a LOUDER can is a BIG mistake, and only contributes to the problem we already have with riding areas being closed or potentially closed due to LOUD exhaust on sleds. I understand the "business" end of things in that selling this LOUDER can will bring in some revenue, but this puts you in the position of CONTRIBUTING to the problem rather than being a SOLUTION to the problem.

How about thinking FORWARD and coming up with a pipe / can combo that is QUIETER?

The slp competition can really isn't that loud, it's a little louder than slp's quiet can, its has a really nice tone to it. I had to hear one first before I bought one, I also don't like loud cans!!!

Colbymh

Lifetime Membership
Sep 1, 2018
Oregon
Having just come out of yet another USFS Stakeholder meeting -- which means I had to sit across the table from Winter Wildlands Alliance, Snowlands Network, Wilderness Society, etc-- with the USFS regarding the OSV travel management plan for the Tahoe National forest, I can tell you that "quiet recreation" is the new battle cry of the non-motorized community.

Loud exhaust is their number one complaint because it is arbitrary and easy for them to say it disturbs their "experience".

In the last 5 years, I have spent hundreds (yes, hundreds) of hours in USFS meetings, driving hours one way to neighboring Forest meetings, and at home preparing maps, counter arguments, and defending the rights of snowmobilers to recreate on PUBLIC lands.

Snowmobilers are the only user group that gets punished as a group versus the individual offender. Loud cans and riding in closed areas by an INDIVIDUAL can get an area closed to an ENTIRE USER GROUP.

Loud cans contribute to land closures EVERYWHERE in the intermountain west. Loud cans have no place in public lands.

Anyone who tells you otherwise is misinformed.

Ur in liberal california, ofcourse its gonna be a huge issue. Im not racing hills all day long which means im not gonna have the throttle stuck wfo. The mtn can doesnt have much diff over the trail can until wide open.

Is it loud when wide open, hell ya it is. Ggb mtn isnt the only loud can hy any means and if it comes down to a few decibles being the diff, the people complaining arent gonna say this one is fine but not that one.

I get what ur saying and what ur doing, it also comes down to the rider and the type of riding being done and how they manage the throttle. If a guy wants to be a pain in the a$$ and make a bunch of unwanted noise, it can surely be done w a stock can.. as annoying no but it can be done.

Again, im not taking away from what ur doing, kudos to all u do, just making points.

Murph

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Ur in liberal california,

I get what ur saying and what ur doing, it also comes down to the rider and the type of riding being done and how they manage the throttle. If a guy wants to be a pain in the a$$ and make a bunch of unwanted noise, it can surely be done w a stock can.. as annoying no but it can be done.

Again, im not taking away from what ur doing, kudos to all u do, just making points.

Winter Wildlands Alliance is based in Boise, Idaho....

Ask yourself this.... does your riding area have more or less acres to ride in now or ten years ago?

You are correct about making a stock can loud-- just have to hold the throttle open. Hence the term-- parking lot poseur ("Hey look at me, look at me!!!!") when I hear a loud can.

I appreciate the compliment on fighting for snowmobile rights in USFS lands, but we-- as snowmobilers-- have to police ourselves and make sure our choices don't negatively impact the sport we all love.

Premium Features