• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2016 450fx power issue

B
Nov 1, 2012
B.C.
Getting ready for second yr on bike, noticed last yr that on the trail bike pull all gears really well except 5th. Won't rev out and seems to lug quite a bit. Haven't spent any time with anyone else on similar bike/set up to ask if it's normal or not. Running a 129 yeti. Tried a few different maps with same result. So question is if this is normal or have I got an issue somewhere? Thanks in advance

A
Jan 15, 2010
Sherwood Park AB
I rode an fx for a weekend last year and found the same. 5th is pretty tall on that bike. Down at lower elevation I could get it to sing but up higher it just chugged along especially when heading up the trail climbing. I put a six speed conversion in my ktm and find it much the same in 6th. I would imagine that my 6th is close in gearing to your 5th.

needpowder

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Utah
Agreed

Your definitely not going to be able to pull fifth all the time on the trail. Most likely your bike is fine. How many hours on it? I have 100 on mine and it is at the shop right now getting a new piston, timing chain, valves checked etc. it's worth it to me for peace of mind even though my bike was running great when I put it away last June.

B
Nov 1, 2012
B.C.
Your definitely not going to be able to pull fifth all the time on the trail. Most likely your bike is fine. How many hours on it? I have 100 on mine and it is at the shop right now getting a new piston, timing chain, valves checked etc. it's worth it to me for peace of mind even though my bike was running great when I put it away last June.

I've got about 60hrs on. Had the valves checked and set around 40-45. Glad to hear it's normal. Ran against a couple of ktm's last yr in the dash for cash, had really good leads but bike couldn't pull the higher gear to stay ahead. Ran me down on the last half, time to find a bit more power or maybe monkey with gearing I guess. Thanks for input

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
I've got about 60hrs on. Had the valves checked and set around 40-45. Glad to hear it's normal. Ran against a couple of ktm's last yr in the dash for cash, had really good leads but bike couldn't pull the higher gear to stay ahead. Ran me down on the last half, time to find a bit more power or maybe monkey with gearing I guess. Thanks for input

Maybe you can use the 5th gear parts from a yz450f

U

Uncle Bob

Feb 15, 2011
I see similar performance out of mine, i would like to try and get mine to get into third a little better when climbing at 7500 to 8000 feet, seriously considering a gytr head but also waiting to hear more on these ecu.

Premium Features