• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Electrical problem need help asap !

retiredpop

Lifetime Membership
Jul 3, 2001
Calgary
So were you testing the VR the same way when it was cold as when you tested it warm? You may have inadvertently found your problem if there was no reading when cold but it was okay when warm. There should have been some reading even when cold.

M
Jan 1, 2017
Ontario canada
So were you testing the VR the same way when it was cold as when you tested it warm? You may have inadvertently found your problem if there was no reading when cold but it was okay when warm. There should have been some reading even when cold.

tested it again cold but it was the same as warm... weird so i put it all back together and same thing, its going to the dealer tomorrow....

J

jhillam

May 2, 2010
Interested in what you find as we have a 2009 700 rmk with the same problem on our group. We are going to check the throttle safety switch by disconnecting and going to make sure spark plug wires haven't come loose from caps.

N
Dec 16, 2007
Michigan
I have the same issues with my 08. I have replaced the stator, VR and cap. I now have no lights or gages, idles fine when cold.

I have disconnected my handwarmers in case they were shorted

Last edited:
M
Jan 1, 2017
Ontario canada
Interested in what you find as we have a 2009 700 rmk with the same problem on our group. We are going to check the throttle safety switch by disconnecting and going to make sure spark plug wires haven't come loose from caps.

ya thast what i thought when it died sop i threw on my spare caps, tried new plugs and nothing. my step dad drove it to the dealer and said the mechanic was driving it around in the yard no prob but as soon as he hit the reverse it would bog and die instantly, ill keep this thread updated as i get info

M
Jan 1, 2017
Ontario canada
I have the same issues with my 08. I have replaced the stator, VR and cap. I now have no lights or gages, idles fine when cold.

I have disconnected my handwarmers in case they were shorted
hmm. sent it to the dealr, they fixed it.... for a bit anyway 200 dollar shop bill ad it ran great for a decent 100 km trip, went to go out with my friends for a off trail ride, got 2 mins away by the gas sation and it started bogging, pulled over and i fouled a plug on the stator side, with that changed it ran good, got gas, went to go leave and it fell on its face, gauges shut off headlight went barely visible (this is 10 mins ago at night pitch black btw) then died, tried starting but would barely idle at maybe 300 rpm and die..... got a tow home and here i am, pretty much shopping for a yammi now, done with this polaris bull crap.... gona see what i can figure out and see if i can get it running to sel or if im parting out

M
Jan 1, 2017
Ontario canada
Ok so final update to this whole mess.... Honeslty at this point i would have been happier to have a blown ecu then what happened to the sled.... So after it died and i got towed. Started tearing it down again i found metal filings in my exhaust.... I stuck my inspection camera in my cylender on the mag side and more filings but piston and cylender looked mint... So i said ok whatever weird... Continued the tear down and my step dad finds a peice of cast aluminum.... Again weird... So i start looking around and founf what everybodies worst nightmare..... A nice window into the crank xase along with a nice crack across it... I really wish i could have figured out the electrical problem but at this poibt a rebuild isnt worth it and its time to part it out.... Thank you all so much for the help and i really hope this never happens to you guys

N
Dec 31, 2008
I have had all the same issues with my 08 700 dragon switchback. Still fighting.
First was dash flickering and bad running. Did all of the same things as stated above. Replace VR, Stator, resistor, and hood harness. Had found the headlight plug that has the splice to the 2nd headlight would get so hot it had melted plug and insulation on wires. That fixed the dash blinking.

Took it on a trip an just over a 100miles would cut out and die. Dash and lights all went out. I had never spured a sled home but I could kick the cowling/electronics an it would take of for a few seconds and then want to die. Good enough to get to next town.
Replaced connectors on voltage reg, and the 2 pin connectors. That seemed to take care of the issues for now. Still don't trust the damn thing.

Pisses a guy off when your 02 700 runs like a top and the new one won't run and you can't do a thing with all the electronics.

Love the chassis - hate the motor.

W
Dec 25, 2011
index wa
If your pretty sure its electrical then never under estimate the 'short'.

I had some speratic issues a few years back and it ended up being the wiring harness had rubbed on the exhaust in just one small spot when the hood was closed breaking a couple wires that sometimes conducted and other times not.

D

Drewd

Feb 2, 2012
Colorado
www.imnotrightinthehead.com
Had same symptoms occur several hours after a top/bottom end rebuild. New voltage regulator fixed it for me and a weekend's worth of riding validated the fix.

Hope all who have similar issues eventually track it down. Nothing worse than an intermittent electrical problem. If I was in a similar situation, I'd probably buy an entire new harness or rewire it from scratch. One of my Jeep's had issues with intermittent electrical issues. Turned out wire broke but insulation didn't so wire looked whole when it wasn't.

Premium Features