• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

polaris BB water pump belt..Please Read !!!

2XM3

Premium Member
Oct 6, 2008
Bitteroot valley,MT
well after running the 800's for a while I am getting sick of the water pump/oil pump belts breaking, yes even the gates kevlar breaks and its always anoying to swap out on the trail... Well... GREAT news the gates company makes the new style "GT" belt for out size !!! it has 4 times the load carrying capacity of the powergrip series belts. these belts were designed for extream load transfer and are used for supercharger belts in topfuel ect...

The correct part number is = GATES PowerGrip GT 5MR450-09 it replaces the weaker powergrip htd 450 5M 09K

I just recieved 2 of these belts and the are about double the thickness with the improved GT, tooth..cost was around 9 bucks each !! Do yourself a huge favor and run this belt !!! :face-icon-small-coo:face-icon-small-coo:face-icon-small-coo

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
Very cool... I ran out of the other belts a few weeks ago. I was going to order more, but with these guys stocking them we'll just point people that way. Someone should sticky this.

sled_guy

Vincenthdfan

Lifetime Membership
Dec 22, 2008
Olympia, Washington
I have two RMK 700 Edges, an '02 & an '03.

They are stock except for SLP pipes and SLP intakes.

My question is, would it be a good preventative maintenance measure to run these belts on these relatively stock sleds?

I really like having that extra peace of mind when way up in the hills.

Thanks

03RMK800

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Kremmling, Colorado
Yes, it is a good idea to change out the belts on a regular basis. At the price of these new belts, carrying a new as spare (instead of old as spare) is probably not an issue, either.

Best extra wrenches to have on the Edges (at least the 800s) are an exhaust spring tool, a ratchet, a 10mm articulated (universal joint) socket and a short extension to get the bottom 2 bolts out of the pump cover. A socket plus regular u-joint don't really fit -- you need the $10.00 integrated socket/ujoint so its short enough to go between the bolt and the frame. I don't recall exactly, but my recollection is I use a 1/4 drive set for the task.
Cuts the change time to minutes.

2XM3

Premium Member
Oct 6, 2008
Bitteroot valley,MT
as far as tools go some take a 8mm socket as well as the 10mm so give it a look, threads the same but the heads are 8mm on some sleds.

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
You should replace your belt regularly (depending on miles/hours ridden). And you should use one of these belts because they are stupid cheaper than the stock one.

sled_guy

F

Flying Dutchman

Dec 14, 2007
Red Deer
FYI............since the vendors you posted are south of the border, it's sometimes a pain to order. Add the freight and sometimes we get hit at the border for some additional charges. The $7 belt now costs $20.
I'm in Red Deer, alberta, and just called my local bearing/belt store (Commercial Solutions). Just drove over and picked up for $9 each. So any local Gates distributor should be able to supply.

Goinboardin

Premium Member
Nov 15, 2009
Laramie, WY
I bought two earlier this summer, put one on and one in the on sled tool/parts kit. Fit perfectly. My old belt was showing some wear, I think I may have gotten lucky on those last few rides!

Sage Crusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2010
Rock Springs,Wyoming
http://www.ebatmus.com/cart.epl?Buy=1&Quantity=1&ItemID=316033&Query=5mr+450+09

there ya go...7 bucks..had it in 3 days, they also make one 11mm wide so if this one ever breaks, i'm going to change the pullys and use that one..lol

Be aware!! I ordered 2 of these and since my order was under $25.00 I got hit with a $6.00 handling fee and a $11.00 frieght fee.
Now I have shipped alot of stuff from my speed shop and I can tell you I can ship 10 clutch belts for under $10.00.. it is not based on weight but on the volume that the box takes up..
$31.00 for less than $15.00 worth of merchandise- the freight more than equaled the product cost ..
Just a heads up to get your buddies involed in a group buy 4- Sure

Bottome line- this might be a great product but the freight and handling hit you in the A$$- and the shipping is from wthin the USA!!!:plane:

S/C

Sage Crusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2010
Rock Springs,Wyoming
YeP!

Ya good point, I ordered 12 so did not notice the freight charges. But then again Polaris gets like 30 bucks for there crappy stock belt...lol

Your correct as to the zing that Polaris will give you.:faint:
If I knew you had 12 I would have bought one from you!:face-icon-small-win

S/C

Premium Features