• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

PL Nytro dropping cylinders

S

seano700

Dec 10, 2007
Peace River, Ab
Last season I had an intermittent problem where my Nytro would drop a cylinder randomly. I initially thought I had an RB3 issue but couldn't find anything. After talking to a buddy, I found out Yamaha has had a few cases where the crankshaft timing pickup retainer wore through the sensor wires causing the same problem.. I pulled mine out and found exactly the same thing. One of the wires was cut and just bared causing it to ground out. Hopefully this fixes the problem!! Thought I would share my finding. I would recommend you check yours out for this too. The sensor is located behind the primary clutch and can be easily removed for inspection.

J

jehay

Mar 15, 2008
camrose, alberta
Last season I had an intermittent problem where my Nytro would drop a cylinder randomly. I initially thought I had an RB3 issue but couldn't find anything. After talking to a buddy, I found out Yamaha has had a few cases where the crankshaft timing pickup retainer wore through the sensor wires causing the same problem.. I pulled mine out and found exactly the same thing. One of the wires was cut and just bared causing it to ground out. Hopefully this fixes the problem!! Thought I would share my finding. I would recommend you check yours out for this too. The sensor is located behind the primary clutch and can be easily removed for inspection.

same problem here it took a bit to find.....

S

seano700

Dec 10, 2007
Peace River, Ab
Access

If you have small hands you could probably reach it by just removing the secondary. I have a puller so I pulled the primary off in my case. The damage will be right at the sensor under the retainer bracket. The bracket on mine had a few razor sharp burs which I filed smooth. As for the cut wires all I did was silicone over the cut (which was very small) and let it dry.. In my case the slice was so close to the sensor that a splice couldn't be made. Hopefully it holds up.

U

uzeste

Jan 20, 2008
Cold Lake AB
Ok thanks I have big hands so i will need a puller haha. But I am hoping this might have been a problem for me.

Premium Features