• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

pistons and rods for nytro 19t build or not

noob

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Currently doing up a nytro build. shop is pressing pretty hard for pistons and rods, not so sure if I want them. they claim better throttle response and higher boost with them. I've run pistons in prior apex, and thought it was a little more sluggish then my non piston and rod apex's on the bottom end. just wanted some thoughts and opinions before I dump 2 g into pistons and rods, or save moey for other upgrades. suspension, skii's and what not. Plan on running straight av gas anyways. figuring if you run good fuel and keep your boost levels in check, shouldnt' be a problem

noob

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Going back to a Nytro are ya:) Judging by the 19T I assume your doing an mcx kit?

yeah, 19t kit. actually will have a cr apex and doing up the nytro. Let my 9 year old ride whatever I'm not that day. get him some velcro and duct tape and hope to hell he holds on.

summitboy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Are you planning on running more boost than the 19T kit does automatically ? Why Avgas if you are ? Just for insurance ? Don't drink to much Pincher Koolaid LOL !

noob

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Are you planning on running more boost than the 19T kit does automatically ? Why Avgas if you are ? Just for insurance ? Don't drink to much Pincher Koolaid LOL !

no more boost then what the kit is capable of. av gas for insurance. premium is about $1.10/l av gas is $1.30/l last time I bought. could have gone up. it's the pincher koolaid I'm trying to avoid here.lol Myles is pushing pistons and rods hard, thistledoo and I think it's not necessary. Just wanted opinions before I tell Myles yeah or nay.

C

canucklehead

Aug 30, 2002
Southern AB
Last year av was a buck fifty plus tax at least. It smells good though, maybe throw a little in. If you're doing the head gasket and don't plan on running anymore boost then there's no point.

B
Oct 17, 2004
Kelowna B.C.
no more boost then what the kit is capable of. av gas for insurance. premium is about $1.10/l av gas is $1.30/l last time I bought. could have gone up. it's the pincher koolaid I'm trying to avoid here.lol Myles is pushing pistons and rods hard, thistledoo and I think it's not necessary. Just wanted opinions before I tell Myles yeah or nay.

If your not pushing it past the designed limit...save your money for a better rear skid!! I have rode one 19t nytro in particular that runs pump premium and has over 9000k on it and it flat out rips!!!

Just my opinion for ya Noob.
BC.

summitboy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
There are a lot of Nytro MCX kits on the snow running the 19T on straight pump. Why not do the shim and try it out. If you don't like it then open up the motor. Myles likes his low comp pistons over 17psi. Ask around, there are lots of sleds pushing the stock pistons and rods at 17-18psi at altitude on pump fuel. I would just save your 2000 grand and do something else with it. I bet running good solid pump premium with the auto you will see 10,000km easy without a problem.

Guys get worked up about the premium thing and these turbo kits. They have come a long way since they used to run 17psi on Avgas iin the 310 kits. MCX knows what they are doing ! Just burn fuel and ride it !

Iceman56

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
I ran 17psi on pump gas, with shim, on my Impulse Nytro last year. No problems

The lower the compression the more sluggish it will feel on the bottom end.

noob

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
I ran 17psi on pump gas, with shim, on my Impulse Nytro last year. No problems

The lower the compression the more sluggish it will feel on the bottom end.

That's what I've found too. I don't need talked out of doing the pistons and rods. It's Myles that I need to talk out of the idea. Like you said summitboy, he's a big fan of it. I've had them in a past apex and thought it was a lot more sloppy on the bottom end. as of last night I texted him and told him no pistons and rods. Headed out today to get the rest of the sled put together. I've got bakers rear skid setup in there, elka in the back, zbros mid shock with zbros front shocks and a arm set up.

summitboy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Noob, Are you running the stock front arm or a Baker arm with the Z-Bros front shock ? Just curious

D

Duke

Jan 16, 2005
The MCX Nytro's rip with just a shim. I've rode a few Nytro's Nick King built, they were running 18#'s on pump premium. :face-icon-small-sho

T

t_thall

Oct 22, 2008
You should gain some response with the pistons as opposed to the shim as you still maintain your squish clearance with dished pistons...

gunnerthesnowman

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Red Deer , Alberta
There are a lot of Nytro MCX kits on the snow running the 19T on straight pump. Why not do the shim and try it out. If you don't like it then open up the motor. Myles likes his low comp pistons over 17psi. Ask around, there are lots of sleds pushing the stock pistons and rods at 17-18psi at altitude on pump fuel. I would just save your 2000 grand and do something else with it. I bet running good solid pump premium with the auto you will see 10,000km easy without a problem.

Guys get worked up about the premium thing and these turbo kits. They have come a long way since they used to run 17psi on Avgas iin the 310 kits. MCX knows what they are doing ! Just burn fuel and ride it !

You should gain some response with the pistons as opposed to the shim as you still maintain your squish clearance with dished pistons...

This is true , better to go with the piston then the shim , i would not cheap out on the rods , check with Myles , i think he uses the 9:1 with two head gasket , i would run the 10:1 with one head gasket.:face-icon-small-dis

Premium Features