• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

m7 top end rebuild, need advice

K

kingofthemountain

Dec 21, 2008
Golden, Colorado
Im going to do a top end rebuild on my 06 m7 and i need some basic advice. Ive rebuilt cars and other stuff before so im not worried about my capabilities, but are there any things i need to be worried about on my sled, little things to look out for? What is the best kit to use? Is there a particular repair manual I should get? Thanks guys any help would be great

D

diggerdown

Apr 25, 2004
Deer Park Wi.
midwestmanuals.com will fix you up with a cd manual or you can download one online. Use a shop vac on the water bottle to suck the antifreeze out, pull the head and then the jugs. Put shop rags around your rods to close the case opening so you don't drop a C-clip off the wrist pin into the case. Take the wrist pins out and and catch the bearings and washer shims. When you replace the pistons make sure you have the rings in right side up and the piston have the dots towards the front. Make sure you have .012 rings gap minimum with factory pistons, more if you go aftermarket.. Replace base gasket and o-rings if you have many miles on it.

J

jdm1985

May 13, 2009
Ambrose ND
ive always been told once ya get it fired up and full of antifreeze to nose it up a hill, ive been told this is the easiest way to get the air out of the coolant, done it a few times on my sleds and it works great, get it up the steepest hill ya can find and lit it idle for a bit, feel around the jugs to make sure you arent getting any hot spots right away. guess thats all i can tell ya after what diggerdown said.

F
Dec 10, 2007
Yellowknife, NWT
get your torque specs also, Iam not totally sure on what they are, I run the SPI piston kit in all of mine have done me very well, have F7's with around 10,000miles each i change them out every 3000miles just cause there cheap to buy but also they are good for spares witch i have never had to use them, sold a few to buddys used and there sleds are running still today on them, but the rebuild is very easy just remember what you removed maybe take pictures, but once you lift the pipe off and remove your Y-pipe you can see how easy its to get at the head bolts and your cylinder bolts, and the arrow on the piston from what i remember faces the exhaust, also i have never gapped SPI rings on any of my sleds they seem to be set up to just drop and go, JM2C

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
1. Are you doing it just as a refresh or because of a problem, if there has been a problem save yourself and take it to a dealer.

2. If its a refresh, take it to a dealer.

The bad thing about these is if one thing isn't perfect and you scare a piston or what ever you are paying again. I've seen dealers have to rebuild a rebuild for reasons they can't even answer. But at least you get a few days warranty(usually).

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
You have to check your piston to cylinder clearance, put the rings in right side up, the piston right side up and everything to spec. If there was any kind of a failure, the case should be split and the entire system cleaned. Put it together clean and then do the AC break in procedure/ after you make sure there is no air in the coolant system. If there is something wrong it will show up during break in (if you do it the way AC says to)

JoeySlushr

Lifetime Membership
Dec 6, 2007
LeCenter, MN
i wouldnt be scared at all. pritty simple engines not many parts just make sure to check/adjust ring gap, install rings right side up, 180 degrees apart on gaps, pistons the right way on rod and make sure to put the exhaust valves in the right way.
break in period??? ever broke anything in on a dyno? warm it up for 15 minutes and ride it like u stole it! thats all the break in u'll need

S
Dec 6, 2007
you cant put the ring 180 apart on these engines the pistons have locating pins to keep the rings from rotating and keep them between the rear ports so they do not catch an edge of a port

Premium Features